Recommend me a wrist watch

2»

Comments

• 1340jas
    1340jas Posts: 217
    Have you thought about a second hand Rolex. I bought one about 12 years ago. I was offered £500 more the other day by a neighbour. I have Oyster date Just but am thinking about a Sea Dweller or Sub Mariner. If you buy a good second hand one with the original papers and box you will not loose any money.
    Buy one from a reputable dealer, got the cash they are knocking a fair bit off the prices at the moment. I have seen some in pawn brokers with papers at very good prices.

As for being robust a mate of mine was a diver welder and still wears his which he used under various seas of the world and it has never gone wrong or been damaged.
  • shin0r
    shin0r Posts: 555
    I'd have a look at a Rolex Sea Dweller - might be slightly over the stated budget but if you are going to spend this sort of money on a watch then this would be a great buy. Tough as old boots and a design classic. They actually look better a bit beaten up. It's being superseded by the DeepSea this year, which is a foul blingy monstrosity aimed at rap stars in my opinion. I'd stay away from the Submariner personally, the dimensions are a bit "flat" and it feels cheap compared to the Sea Dweller.

Panerai make classy watches, the luminor 44mm are a nice fit especially on something like a HKTan or Strapculture legend thick leather strap - although they're a bit "trendy" for my liking these days, often bought by people who just want an expensive watch. Panerai have an interesting (to me anyway, a confirmed watch geek) history with Rolex too.

The SoSF would be a good buy, they're huge in the flesh and very nicely finished. I think they're doing a SoSF with arabic numerals now, which looks even better than the standard. White, blue or black dial? choices, choices - black for me.

I'd also take a look at Sinn, Bathys and IWC - my next buy is likely to be an IWC Ingy or a Bathys Fathom. Great watches and a little bit different.

Saying that, none of these will keep time as well as, or be as tough as, a 40 quid g-shock, but that's not really the point. :)
  • Darra8
    Darra8 Posts: 721
    Hi Sheepsteeth,

Have you seen the Luminox range of watches. They have Swiss movements and are made in the USA...i think. They are quality and a little different from the usual stuff you will see.

Check this one out.
    http://www.heinnie.com/q3vgn4802588/Wat ... -242-1432/

Cheers,

Steve
    40 year old pussy who "still" hates the thought of falling off!!
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Velcro straps are best for oudoor activities of most kind. Just a thought....

Oh, and don't spend more than £20!
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • toshmund
    toshmund Posts: 390
    Ole' Sheepsteeth is probably struggling with Internet access, or molesting the sheep down in the S. Atlantic at the moment still. Long way to escape a UK winter, with only a marginally better Falklands summer :lol:
  • Jumanji
    Jumanji Posts: 25
    A Raymond Weil Don Giovani. ranges from £900 up.

Classy watches. I have a RW Tango.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    sorry to drag up an old thread but i wanted to share:

decided to take a slightly different approach but ended up with my blue stumpy (which the wife bought me in december) and then ended up with 3 watches:

12415.jpg

tissot t race which is absolutely gorgeous in the flesh

3042788629_8c0afc440c.jpg

citizen ecozilla which is massive in the flesh and wasted on a bloke who doesnt dive, but it looks ace

and finally to replace my 10 yr old g shock, a nice new protrek for work duties

PRW-1500-1VER.jpg
  • Furbes
    Furbes Posts: 289

and finally to replace my 10 yr old g shock, a nice new protrek for work duties

PRW-1500-1VER.jpg

That's the Watch i have !
  • Anonymous
    Having made a fool of myself with OTT opinions, if I HAD to choose a posh watch, it would be Panerai or Patek Phillipe - subtle but very nicely put together.

Absolutely in agreement with above - get a Panerai.

I have quite thin wrists so I went for the 40mm.

I think Patek Phillipe might be more than she is willing to spend but damn good watches.

Jaeger Le Coultre (might be spelt wrong) make awesome watches but also incredibly expensive

The Patek and lecoultre are serious high end watches and IIRC one of the two has a date roll that will keep the watch on the correct date until the year 3000 and then the company will replace the date roll for free.

I guess that might be considered "extreme timekeeping".

I believe that the Panerai mechanism is actually made by Rolex. And the problem with this is??

I also have an Oyster Perpetual Datejust that I have had about 12 years.

I get it serviced every two years and send it off to Rolex.

They clean and tighten and polish everything single god damn part and it looks better than the day i bought it.

Costs nearly £200 though and takes ages to get it back. This could have gone up now as its time for a service.

To summarise:

Get a Panerai

Ring Berry's in Leeds and ask for Panerai Pete. Job done
  • Anonymous
    a bit more above