Recommend me a wrist watch

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited April 2009 in The Crudcatcher
the mrs has agreed to buy me a watch for my birthday and at the moment my choice is a breitling superocean steelfish.

budget is about 1700 quid apparently so the question is what other watches are available for this price just in case anyone can recommend me something i havent thought of.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Wow. I collect watches (or did) but nothing quite that expensive! What sort of styling are you after?
  • Tranced
    Tranced Posts: 165
    Breitling aviator has emergency satalite homing beacon. Handy if needing emergency services. Breitling can tell them exactly where u are
    Embrace cynicism…. see the bigger picture!!!!
  • Anonymous
    was originally after an omega seamaster and had the cash in my pocket sat in a v nice jewellers in liverpool but when i tried it on, it looked tiny next to my edward sausage hands.

i looked at the breitling and have tried one on so at the mo it is my fave choie. I am looking for a divers style watch, silver metal and of a professional variety (even though i have no intention of diving to 6000ft, ever!)

just wondered if there were any other brands which fitted the bill, the case needs to be over 40mm, the breitling is 43 and looks about right, i have a police watch which is 45 and looks even better (dont forget i have edward sausage hands, )
  • Anonymous
    Tranced wrote:
    Breitling aviator has emergency satalite homing beacon. Handy if needing emergency services. Breitling can tell them exactly where u are

i'd love a breitling rescue but the wifes budget wont stretch quite that far!!

she has offered to give me the money to pput towards a bike if i wanted and i am so tempted as i have a grand saved up so it would get me something amazing but i figured i should sepnd it on something timeless.
  • jacktheoc
    jacktheoc Posts: 1,556
    http://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/product.asp?cid=1&pid=6163

If only i had £1850 to spare :roll:
  • supersonic
    I'm the other way - have thin wrists and small hands, so need a watch to match. I have a Animal RIP titanium - HUGE!!!

I'll see what my Uncle recommends. He has a Rolex, Omega Seamaster, Rado, and all sorts of expensive trinkets.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sheepsteeth
    I have had a sea master for the last 20 years. Never came off my wrist for about 10 of them.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    that carrera is lovely but i think the breitling still edges it.

cheers sonic, see what your man can recommend.
  • Anonymous
    nicklouse wrote:
    sheepsteeth
    I have had a sea master for the last 20 years. Never came off my wrist for about 10 of them.

ive always liked watches and i had always wanted a seamaster and was gutted when i tried one on and it didnt suit.

tis a good endorsement that yours has lasted so long though!!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    on my second bracelet though. and this one is on its way out already.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    bet they're not cheap!
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    I "get" quite a few coveted, expensive items but I absolutely do not "get" hyper priced watches.

Not a case of not being able to afford one, just can't see the point at all.

Sorry - not a welcome thing to say but why not a nice holiday/bike/something useful!
    If it's to flash the cash, everyone I know with a large pile has a cheapo watch!

A good G Shock does everything (and much more) than any mega priced watch and doesn't need annual servicing!

Off high horse...
  • Anonymous
    ah ha, welcome matt, i wondered if you would be along, and yes i agree, it is expensive and unnecessary and believe me, it doesnt represent my (or my wifes in this case) wealth. the mrs has been saving up for a few months and will be for a few months more.
    its a 30th pressie so mrs teeth wanted to get me something i had always wanted, for me its a nice watch, for her its gonna be summat else from tiffanys :cry:

it will be a personal thing and as gay as it sounds, will be getting left to my kids (as long as it doent end up on flog it with my medals!!)

i am pretty much decided on the breitling but wondered if there is something else out there.

ps, i wear a g shock everyday and have done for over 11 yrs.
  • jacktheoc
    jacktheoc Posts: 1,556
    i currently have a omega seamaster my grandad left when he died, he got it for a 21 year service and it has his name on the back and dated, 4.9.70 just under the picture/logo
    still working and has kept time over all those years, not sure if anything went wrong in the years after but its still good now.
    never ever wear it and will be keeping forever, wouldnt have a clue on price anyway!
  • supersonic
    I treat watches more than function, and jewellery. However some people treat bikes as jewellery... I would never ever argue that a more expensive watch can tell the time better.
  • toshmund
    toshmund Posts: 390
    Have always liked Sector, £425 seems a bit cheap for you though! :D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... /ref=nosim
  • Anonymous
    i agree with sonic, a nice watch is a nice piece of jewellery, no one would think a woman was mad for wanting diamond earings.

that sector is a lovely looking thing and nice and big too, maybe i should get one of those and put the rest of the money towards a stumpjumper pro ...........................................
  • Surf-Matt
    Sheepsteeth - I actually woke up early this morning feeling really guilty about my post! I'm very impressed you restrained yourself enough not to flame me!

What yout OH buys you is up to her and it's very kind of her to be so generous.
    Sorry!

That Sector is nice though - seems more sensible money for a watch.

Having made a fool of myself with OTT opinions, if I HAD to choose a posh watch, it would be Panerai or Patek Phillipe - subtle but very nicely put together.

I've got two G Shock - one black "ion" metal strap "cockpit" for looking semi smart, one fully digital "G Cool (!!)" for surfing, MTBing, etc - both do everything for well under £150 a piece.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Anything Breitling or Omega is a good choice, maybe even TAG or Breil.
  • Anonymous
    Surf-Matt wrote:

Having made a fool of myself with OTT opinions, if I HAD to choose a posh watch, it would be Panerai or Patek Phillipe - subtle but very nicely put together.

i did hppen across those paneri watches and agree, very understated (apart from being the size of dinner plates!!) i feel cheeky enough letting the wife buy me a breitling, i wouldnt hve the gaul to ask her to stretch!!

i am seriously tempted to ask for a cheaper watch and to commute the rest of the cash over to a new bike, i'll see what she thinks as i really like the look of the sector and remember seing them before.
  • toshmund
    toshmund Posts: 390
    Glad you like the Sector! Going by the review, the reviewer's only downside. The chunkiness of it - which since you find it as a attribute. Quids in. Cannot go wrong with them tbh, £425 for Swiss build/technology/materials. Just not the brand name of some of the others, which sometimes actually look worse than the knock off's from the far east anyway...

Get yourself the bike and take her for the meal :lol:
  • Rolex Explorer 1 (pre-owned but mint) is within your budget. Maybe the only watch at that price that will keep its value or even be worth more in five years time. Super-tough, understated and with a lovely black dial. You won't be disappointed. As an alternative have a look at Sinn watches. You can get them in the UK from Chronomaster and they're superb value for tough time keeping instruments.
    Love bikes, not much else
  • Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    a casio. then spend the rest of a nice TV or new bike!!

I like watches but could never justify that kind of money. I have a Festina that i bought in France for 200euros. Thats as much as i'd spend
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    sheepsteeth have you tried the largest of the Omega's? I believe they do 3 different sizes, to accommodate varying wrist sizes.
    Personally, I'm after a Speedmaster for Xmas (I hope the wife reads this! :wink: ).
    IMO you are chosing the right type of gift for the occassion. You will look after it, keep it forever, and have memories everytime you check the hour!
    If you buy a bike, granted it will probably be used more, and will give pleasure and experiences, resulting in memories, but it wont ever last the same. What if you 'crate' it on your first outing....How will you explain that to your missus? :oops:
    I have a mate who has big wrists, he has a few Breitlings, very nice, though too big for me.
    Buy the watch. Continue saving your own money for the bike you want. :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Anonymous
    hopper1 wrote:
    sheepsteeth have you tried the largest of the Omega's? I believe they do 3 different sizes, to accommodate varying wrist sizes.
    Personally, I'm after a Speedmaster for Xmas (I hope the wife reads this! :wink: ).
    IMO you are chosing the right type of gift for the occassion. You will look after it, keep it forever, and have memories everytime you check the hour!
    If you buy a bike, granted it will probably be used more, and will give pleasure and experiences, resulting in memories, but it wont ever last the same. What if you 'crate' it on your first outing....How will you explain that to your missus? :oops:
    I have a mate who has big wrists, he has a few Breitlings, very nice, though too big for me.
    Buy the watch. Continue saving your own money for the bike you want. :wink:

aah, you see thats more like it, i was beginning to waver towards getting a nice new bike but i reckon the money i already have will get me a perfectly good steed and as you (and the wife) say, the bike wont last forever whereas the watch will.

i stil think its gonna be the breitling so far, just hope the kids dont sell it on flog it!!!
  • supersonic wrote:
    I treat watches more than function, and jewellery. However some people treat bikes as jewellery... I would never ever argue that a more expensive watch can tell the time better.

+1
    I like my watches, never had a spare 1700 lying around for one though (lucky sod Sheepsteeth :wink: ).
    I was going to get a Tag when I got mine but like Sonic it looked a bit daft on my skinny wrists so went for a Tissot Titanium at 500 and its been a nice watch. Much less "in your face" compared to the Tag
    I also have a Citizen 1481010 independent with a snapped strap. Turns out it seems to be uber rare and its been i impossible to get hold of a new strap for it (or fix it). Gutted :cry:
  • +1 for the g-shocks - amazing watches and the decent ones can take almost anything!!!
    A good G Shock does everything (and much more) than any mega priced watch and doesn't need annual servicing!
    Hardtails aren't called hardcore for no reason

Giant STP: http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1996804/
    Spesh Hardrock: http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1996822/
  • I have a small collection of watches; Brietling and Omega are my personal favourites. Brietling Colt (with tungsten impregnated rubber strap) is a nice looking piece and will take a few knocks. If you buy an Omega or Brietling make sure you send it away to be recalibrated about 6 months after you buy it; the shop you buy it from will be able to help out with that.
  • I have a small collection of watches; Brietling and Omega are my personal favourites. Brietling Colt (with tungsten impregnated rubber strap) is a nice looking piece and will take a few knocks. If you buy an Omega or Brietling make sure you send it away to be recalibrated about 6 months after you buy it; the shop you buy it from will be able to help out with that.
  • Surf-Matt
    Hmmmm - my 10 year old G shock (all digital) has needed nothing but three battery changes, has been surfing hundreds of times, done demolition labouring, been in crashes (mostly bike), etc, etc and the most it's gone out of time (while keeping the date accurate to 2032)? Two minutes.

My one year old G shock (Black Ion Cockpit from overseas) with metal strap has also been surfing, been dropped and still looks smart enough to wear out and about and keeps excellent time.

So not only do flash watches cost the earth, they need careful looking after.

Hmmmm....