WHAT hardtail 2009?

Comments

• Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Going to take the plunge into the darkside and get a decent MTB since my rigid Specialized got nicked - live in Derbyshire so it's going to be the Peak it gets most of its use. A mate is recommending a Kona Fire Mountain Deluxe as a good starter - what to the sages on here reckon ?

I'm from a road background so I'm not going to be giving it too much abuse but I do want something solid and dependable and as forgiving to a novice as possible - it's going down hill that is going to be my weakness.

I've no intention to race it so light weight isn't too much of a biggy - but being used to a road position I'm thinking maybe avoid something too sit up and beg.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Uvavu
    Uvavu Posts: 6
    I got a Rockhopper Expert just over a month ago. On the whole, I'm really pleased with it, but I do have a couple of complaints:

1) The Avid "Juicy 4 RSL" brakes (which don't exist, according to the Avid website) have a reach adjustment knob that has a tendency to come off, and once this has happened it can't be reattached, as far as I can tell.

2) Frame sizes 17" and above come with a stiff spring on the fork. This spring is way too stiff for me - I'm 67 kg and even if I jump up and down on the fork with maximum force I only get 50 mm of travel on what's supposed to be a 100 mm travel fork. I'm having to pay around £40 to change to the standard spring - an amount that would have gone a long way towards getting the Pro model with the Reba air fork. Not happy!
  • Have we actually decided what is the best hardtail to buy for under £500 yet. I am about to take the plunge and want your advice.
  • souljacker
    souljacker Posts: 54
    yeah i'd be intereted to hear what the best one for under £500 is as i'm about to take the plunge and get my first bike
  • TarkMalbot
    TarkMalbot Posts: 181
    What about the Rock Lobster from Merlin? I read it was a better buy than the Trek, Specialized etc etc for under £1000 due to its great spec. I was looking at upgrading the forks, XT groupset and Race Face Deus kit which brings it to a total of just under £1300.
  • newborn
    newborn Posts: 69
    The trek 8000 at £1250 or the 8500 at £1500, both superb, light bikes. I've thrown my 8000 round a few red routes and it keeps wanting more.
    I'll have a slice
  • newborn
    TarkMalbot wrote:
    What about the Rock Lobster from Merlin? I read it was a better buy than the Trek, Specialized etc etc for under £1000 due to its great spec. I was looking at upgrading the forks, XT groupset and Race Face Deus kit which brings it to a total of just under £1300.
    Nearly got the rocklobster, I heard good reviews too. Just thought i'd pay the bit extra and get the trek with the rebas and the xt stuff already equipped. I think the rock lobster weighed a bit more with the steel frame but very strong. Dont get me wrong i was on the phone 5 months ago asking about availbility.
    I'll have a slice
  • newborn
    TarkMalbot wrote:
    Guess your looking for a ball park £1000 bike right now.
    I'll have a slice
  • newborn
    Have we actually decided what is the best hardtail to buy for under £500 yet. I am about to take the plunge and want your advice.
    go on chain reaction bikes site and find the bike BeOne Spirit. You get full deore drive train (gear set), well made frame & rock shox forks for £475 on sale from £599.99. The reason I know this is that I've just done an extensive search for my brother who was is in the same position as you. Trust me I was looking for ages as you don't seem to get your moneys worth for £500 these days, but this one is an exception. You could go X country on this baby with no worries.
    I'll have a slice
  • cps26
    cps26 Posts: 12
    Am hoping to test a Cannondale F4Z this weekend - anyone here have one or have any views on it? Was previously looking at the Scott Scale 60, but think the geometry on that might be a little agressive for me unless I come down a size, which then feels a bit small...)
  • TarkMalbot
    newborn wrote:
    TarkMalbot wrote:
    Guess your looking for a ball park £1000 bike right now.

I ordered a Rock Lobster Tig Team 853 yesterday! It should be ready in a week or so! With the online 10% discount I got it for £1175 with all the upgrades including the Reba Race forks, full XT group set and Race Face Deus finishing kit. I love the skinny tube old skool look. Looking forward to feeling what the steel fram is like to ride too. :P

One thing I forgot to ask was if it came with Pedals. I dont think it does and I dont want to phon eup again. I have been bombarding them with questions for the last few days! I will just put the DMR V12 Magnesium pedals on hold until the bike arrives. :wink:
  • OtherSide
    OtherSide Posts: 20
    I was in the shop yesterday mate, all the rock lobsters seem to come without pedals... at least that's what it said on the price tag :).
  • PinkSpider
    PinkSpider Posts: 37
    I cant decide... Genesis Core 10 for £500, or a Commencal Normal Disc for £380? The Commencal was almost ordered before I found out it was another £30 for delivery.
  • TarkMalbot
    OtherSide wrote:
    I was in the shop yesterday mate, all the rock lobsters seem to come without pedals... at least that's what it said on the price tag :).

Thanks for that info. Just out of interest what colours were the Rock Lobsters? I was under the impression from the website that the 853 was red but I have seen recent photos online showing them in white.
  • Miggo71
    Miggo71 Posts: 4
    ...to add the haro Mary XC 2008, Winstanleys have theom on offer
    http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... _Bike_2008

I have one myself and apart from the rims everything works great!
  • OtherSide
    TarkMalbot wrote:
    OtherSide wrote:

Thanks for that info. Just out of interest what colours were the Rock Lobsters? I was under the impression from the website that the 853 was red but I have seen recent photos online showing them in white.

I don't remember seeing white Rocklobs, just a Red, Matt black and I not sure about the other one but it wasn't white.
  • TarkMalbot
    Thanks for that. I gave them a call earlier and the 853 is Red. It is the Alloy frame version that is Black.
  • OtherSide
    TarkMalbot wrote:
    Thanks for that. I gave them a call earlier and the 853 is Red. It is the Alloy frame version that is Black.
    Ohh I really did like the Matt Black frame, it was very nice :).

I'd get one but I want a frame with abit more strength I think.
  • C Boardman comp f/s or c boardman team. Which one would be best?
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    Depends if you want a full sus or not dunnit. I have the hardtail Team and adore it, its a better spec but less bounce obviously.
  • hender
    hender Posts: 34
    i have £350 to spend (give or take 10/20 quid) on a mtb - can any1 recommend anything. i've looked at the gt aggressor (halfords), specialized hardrock sport disc (dales). any recommendations would be appreciated

cheers
  • flubbub
    flubbub Posts: 115
    ok, i know its a fs mb, but i like it!

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... 1b2s1p1357
  • Flenser
    Flenser Posts: 372
    hender wrote:
    i have £350 to spend (give or take 10/20 quid) on a mtb - can any1 recommend anything. i've looked at the gt aggressor (halfords), specialized hardrock sport disc (dales). any recommendations would be appreciated

cheers

Commencal Normal Disc has £150 off at Merlin, takes it down to £350 but postage is an extra £30 if you don't buy in store.
    Claud Bulter Cape Wrath D27 (2009)
    Raleigh MaxLite FS1 (2001)
  • hender
    hender Posts: 34
    i've gone for the hardrock sport disc in black - looks spot on. main use is commuting to work but do go off roading now and then. cheers
  • sidders79
    sidders79 Posts: 5
    Hi guys,

Am after a hardtrail bike and have a budget of upto £400. I have seen a few bikes and have listed them below, but am not sure which to opt for.

Specialized Hardrock sport disc 2010 at £399.99

Ridgeback MX5 2009 at £389.99

GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc 2009 at £349.99

GT Agressor XC3 2009 at £349.99

Any guidance on these bikes would be much appreciated. Or if there are any other bikes in this range that I should look at please let me know.

thanks

Dan
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You are best off starting a new thread so things don't get confused. SUpply links too so people can compare value and you'll get a response soon enough! Also list where you plan to ride.
  • Zidane
    Zidane Posts: 140
    Any feedback on the two Focus Black Forest bikes on offer at wiggle ? They both look pretty tasty for the price.
  • I've just bought a Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo (or Hokey Cokey as I now call it) through our cycle to work scheme. It's the 2010 model, which is exactly the same as the 09 but more expensive (no 09s left in my size) :roll:

Hoo Koo E Koo

It looks like a good bike for £900, although I am a little concerend over the Avid Juicy 3s, heard some bad things about them. The RockShox recon is also not ideal, being coil instead of air but I reckon it'll do what I want it to do.

Cycle to work scheme wins again.

Cheers

Grim
    Stealing the idea from Mickey Eye:

Commute.jpg

15.1 miles (inc cycl lanes) 555ft climb, 442ft descent, two nasty hills. Nice going home!
  • stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    So When does the 2010 version of this thread start then 8)
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders