Comments

• On a real budget and only got £250 to spend? I`d get one of these:
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=product&productId=1584&categoryId=129
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Just wondering why the decathlon rockrider 5.3 doesn't get mentioned when listing £300 bikes yet the 5.2 and 6.3 are. Same spec as 6.3 except its a hardtail
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
  • Mattbot2
    Mattbot2 Posts: 384
    Can I suggest this?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=14964

£220 with a Deore rear derailer, and most other parts Shimano Alivio, with Rockshox Dart 1 80mm travel forks.
    2q2kfno.png
    ^^^ Click for pictures of my bike ^^
  • supersonic
    2009 bikes at rrp only make the list.
  • Mattbot2
    Mattbot2 Posts: 384
    supersonic wrote:
    2009 bikes at rrp only make the list.

Sorry. Stupid me. :lol:
    2q2kfno.png
    ^^^ Click for pictures of my bike ^^
  • stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    any more news about the halfords carrera 09 ranges

just i want to see if i can grab a bargain on the 08 banshees :lol:
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • supersonic
    Not seen any 09 Carreras yet, but looking forwrad to it!
  • stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    ok cheers

im only looking forward to the mark down on the 08's :wink:
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Will anyone EVER test an alu Stumpjumper?!!
  • supersonic
    Or a carbon Zaskar ;-)
  • Went into halfords last week and the manager had just had delivered the carrera titan, carbon frame,995 punds, he nearly convinced me to order one but various forums put me off . carrera carbon framed bikes, especially ones from halfords, not for the make but halfords itself, but that aside it was a lovely looking bike and very light.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    don't be put off! Carrera make great bikes and the frames are made by one of the biggest frame builders in the world, Merida.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • ive just got a scott aspect 45 09- and i love the fucker
  • I reckon any of the Boardman HT range make pretty compelling choices at their respective price points.In a credit crunch I think people are going to look at these and ask idf they really need the big name kudos,of a Specialized,Trek,Marin,GT,etc.
    The one that stans out for me though is the Team.£850 and sub 25lb.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    I reckon any of the Boardman HT range make pretty compelling choices at their respective price points.In a credit crunch I think people are going to look at these and ask idf they really need the big name kudos,of a Specialized,Trek,Marin,GT,etc.
    The one that stans out for me though is the Team.£850 and sub 25lb.

£850?

Mine was £783....sure it wasn't an 08 Pro at £850?

Anyway, I agree, had my first ride today on my 09 Team and it is quick, chuckable and confidence inspiring. I was expecting it to take a few rides to get the speed up and really start to enjoy it but straight away I was grinning like a chesire cat. However, you guessed it, the Conti Speed Kings picked up a puncture. Up till then though they were doing really well and luckily I was home to pull out the thorn....perhaps not the tyres fault thinking about it.

I will say again, however, buying from Halfords is not a fun or easy experience. I got mine built up by a local repair place and he had to sort out a few things that weren't done properly such as facing the frame with the bearings and replacing a f*cked gear cable. I STRONGLY suggest getting it built elsewhere so they can sort these things before hand.
  • £850 is the price quoted on Halfords/Bikehut for the 2009 model.
    Interestingly there are now some standalone Bikehut branches,so will be intersting to see if aftersales back up is better through these.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • what really cheap street bike wd you recomend i have been riding for long time but dont want to put my current bike in single speed
  • darren636
    darren636 Posts: 102
    my new orange evo 8 is here! yaaaaaaaaaaaaay! test ride tomorrow... my first ride since.... errr... 1998! :shock: oh it looks sexy!
    m-trax ti 1000- back when i was rubbish.
    evo 8 - i am continuing to be rubbish.
  • what does anybody know about the trek 8500 09
    looks like quite a good bike but no one seems to much it know how much it weighed
    I assume this is French petrol - be careful in reverse - the car will retreat rapidly at the least provocation.
  • daws
    daws Posts: 5
    Malt 1 every time. I dont see many people offering that spec for the pennies
  • supersonic
    Some great suggestions here (which is what this is about) - the list will be updated through the year.
  • If anyone wants a decent spec ht for £500,have a look at this:http://www.bikemagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/6433
    They are currently doing it on offer for £450,too.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • If anyone wants a decent spec ht for £500,have a look at this:http://www.bikemagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/6433
    They are currently doing it on offer for £450,too.

jesus. http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/rockrider-8-xc-34964195/ is also an extraordinarily spec for the money ?
    Start Weight 18st 13lbs March 2009
    17st 10lbs August 2009
    17st 4lbs October 2009
    15st 12lbs December 2010

Final planned weight 12st 7lbs
  • if you care much about the looks of your bike, the Rockrider 8.1 has a very good/ expensive looking/stylish frame compared to other bikes at that price.
  • hi ive been looking for a hardtail for a while now i have a short list which has two, not in any of the lists above. one is a felt q220 and a claud butler d27. please let me know if anyone has any info on these bikes as im a bit stuck on what to buy i have tried my local shops but they just want to sell me what they have in stock.
  • TonyWard
    TonyWard Posts: 149
    I have had a Claud Butler D27 Cape Wrath 2007 for about a year and been very happy with it. Was a great bike for the price. The hydraulic brakes were particularly good for the price - though the competition may have caught up since then.
  • plussa
    plussa Posts: 13
    Sold my 5" FS trailbike and went back to the basics, this is my ride for 2009:

orangep7hk6.jpg
  • Hi guys,

first post here, really hope i'm not breaking some rule or repeating an oft-asked question in the wrong place, but i've read the stickies and done the search thing to no avail so here goes...

I want a hardtail, in the midrangey-type price bracket, maybe £600 ish but could be persuaded to go higher...

the key thing for me is lightness/ acceleration...i've tried out a friends (way expensive) bike and just loved the sheer "sparkyness" it had....put your muscle onto the pedal and this thing just went off like a rocket!

can you help a n00b with some recommendations or wisdom on this area?

• For £600 ish I`d look at this:http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=product&productId=50&categoryId=39

or stretch the budget to £700 and get a Boardman Comp HT.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4