Richmond Park riders - how quick up Sawyer's Hill?

Rich-Ti
Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
Missed out on a sub-60min 3-lap time this evening by 3:33 :evil:

I reckon I'm losing most of my time going up Sawyer's Hill - I can stick with people for most of the rest of the lap, but I always get dropped going up there.

I'm just curious how quickly people are getting up there?

Also, how do I best train to get up there faster??

Comments

• My speed up Sawyers Hill is totally dependent on the wind direction. In the past I've ridden up there at over 20mph in the big ring with a tailwind! When i'm doing hard laps of the park i usually aim to keep my speed over 15mph on the hills (so Sawyers, plus the one up from Kingston gate).

Perhaps you could try going easier on the rest of your lap, then attack the hills? What sort of gearing are you using on the hills? How quickly do you recover over the top? Do you stay seated or stand?
  • Rich-Ti
    Perhaps you could try going easier on the rest of your lap, then attack the hills? What sort of gearing are you using on the hills? How quickly do you recover over the top? Do you stay seated or stand?
    Good point, guess I always figured it'd be easier to go hard the rest of the lap that I know I can do well.

I think front ring is a 39 and rear is a 25, but I'm not certain - regardless, by my third lap on a hard effort I'm in 39:25, but will be anywhere on the top 3 sprockets most laps. I do recover pretty well at the top so I really think it is just leg strength. I usually stay seated for Sawyer's but will often stand going up from Kingston Gate.

Any thoughts?
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    Rich, only just seen this thread -FYI I mostly go up Sawyers Hill (the gradual bit) about 20mph, but obviously it drops to about 14mph up the steep bit. As for the hill by Kingston Gate, I struggle to keep about 13mph (possibly psychological) though It might be that I try harder on the flat sections approaching the hills (I know I blow pretty hard when I am climbing them but never seem to take too long to recover after cresting them).

The other thing is to make sure you put in a few really hard cranks over the top of the hill so you are back up to speed - then you can rest a little after that. In fact I have read that in a few places that the best time to get a break or make a gap is off the top of a hill as most people dont put in the extra when they get to the top. I dont know times, but it could save you 20 seconds a lap which is a minute for three (see my mafs is gud ;)).

Why not go ride more hills if you think its a weak point?- Putney hill is a reasonable drag and I always try to hoon up it on the way home from work- I do that every day so its good practice (as is Wimbledon hill in the other direction)...

HTH
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Rich-Ti
    Thanks Felgen - do you mean Putney Hill as is the run up to the station and beyond (from the bridge), or is there a bigger better local beast I should know about?! :shock:

The extra cranks over the top of the hill are worth noting and I may well see how that feels this evening - like you I blow getting up the hills but recover well once on top.

My plan for this week is to ride tonight, Thurs & Sat as hillclimb sessions so I'll see how long each attack of Sawyer's Hill take me. I'm usually alright until just before the road on the right as the hill steepens then people seem to sail past me like I'm stood still! :oops: :lol:
  • felgen
    Yes I mean the hill from Putney Station to Tibbetts corner as lits quite long and not too steep - ther than that I guess Box Hill would be okay, though when I get riding more I would like to try Polhiill near Orpington in Kent (the old A21) as that is a long drag of what must be a couple of miles...

There must be a marked increase in gradient at the road off to the lodge on the right as it coincindes with me either getting out of the saddle, or changing down, but I think I try pretty hard up that hill as it seems pretty parabolic in shape - hard at first easing off gradually over the crest - with a bit effort you can be hooning down to Richmond gate (at speeds approaching 20 mph! :shock: )

What might be a god idea is to ride back and forth between the roundabouts at Richmond Gate and by Sheen Gate... its only just over a mile each way and is quite undulating - hill intervals. Either that or Star and Garter Hill is just outside Richmond gate (have to say I havent done that one yet) thought there isnt a roundabout at the bottom to go round to come back up.

Hmm all this talking about riding makes me want to go do some.......
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Rich-Ti
    Ok, good to get some more knowledge of the area, and my plan tonight was exactly what you mentioned regarding Richmond Gate roundabout to the one near Sheen Gate up and back - dull, but could prove useful.
    felgen wrote:
    Hmm all this talking about riding makes me want to go do some.......
    Just a coupla chores and I'll be doing exactly that! 8)
  • felgen
    so did you do it? It was drizzling about 6pm when I went through the park, thank god I wasnt on the spangly bike....
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Rich-Ti
    Yup, 5 times up the hill then went up again and carried on round the full lap - the drizzle wasn't too bad, and quite a personal turning point for me forcing myself out when it wasn't dry! :lol:

Timed my climbs, but need to check my Garmin to see what kind of times & speeds I was doing
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • felgen
    You need to attack this hill, if you hit it with some speed, you will get up the steeper bit with momentum and can then power over the easier bit to the top. Try the big ring.

Easy to say, so like superlightweight says, try it with a tailwind first. You might not get it on every lap during the three lap challenge but try as for the stretch to the roundabout, it's important to keep the pace up, you will be able to ease up a bit once you go past Pembroke Lodge on the downhill bit.

hmm...so thats how you get into the low 50's;) am off out now to do a few runs
    up and down this hill...
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB