The White Rose Classic

Booboocp
Booboocp Posts: 1,156
Important Announcement

The White Rose Classic

Due to ill health (myself and my wife Caroline) I stood down in 2008 as organiser of the White Rose Classic.

I learned (sadly indirectly, not from BC Yorkshire) that in 2009 the event would not be run. When I asked Bob Howden (Chairman - BC Yorkshire) about this, I was told the following:

Start Quote

"There was nobody on that Board willing to take on the role of Organiser of the WRC for 2009, these are after all volunteers who go above and beyond what a Region of BC would normally be expected to do. In 2008 the Board had to take on a more expanded role when you stepped out of the loop, they simply don't want to do that again next year".

End Quote

I was offered the chance of taking on the event under licence from BC Yorkshire and myself and Bob discussed the terms. I will not go into details, but my fellow helpers decided unanimously it was not an acceptable deal and I have therefore decided to organise the event as I see fit. Out of courtesy to Bob, I have emailed him prior to making this announcement.

The event will be run on and on behalf of a Cancer charity along the lines of the Fred Whitton Challenge, where proceeds will be donated and riders will be asked (but not compulsory) to help raise additional funds. This is what I wanted when I first thought up the White Rose Classic and I'm happy I'm now in a position to see this happen.

I will announce more details shortly...

Derek Boocock
<b>Event Website:</b> http://www.whiteroseclassic.co.uk

Comments

• bobh
    bobh Posts: 163
    B C Yorkshire very much regrets that it wasn't able to agree a formula with Derek Boocock to organise the event in 2009. As he indicated after organising two Sportives and the National Road Race Championship in 2008 the team at BC Yorkshire Events Group is in need of a battery re-charge or an increase in volunteer numbers. For 2009 it will continue with the Ryedale Rumble an event that is a "work in progress" and is now developing opportunities for cycling generally in North Yorkshire. The Rumble will move to a new date of the 9th August. We will also be organising the Ryedale Grand Prix Premier Calendar Race on the 7th June.

The White Rose Classic won't be promoted in 2009 but we hope that it can return in 2010 perhaps on a rotational basis with the Rumble.

We wish Derek well with his new Sportive
  • Booboocp
    Just to add to the above, Bob Howden has said that he will release press releases and announce that the White Rose Classic will not take place in 2009.

Let me be perfectly clear on this, I will not be bullied.

The White Rose Classic will be held on Sunday 28th June and will be called The White Rose Classic.

BC do not own it, if anyone was to have that honour (and no-one has) then it would be me.

The route will remain the same, with a minor change to accommodate the (much improved) new HQ. More details soon...

Edit: I do not wish to take the event off BC Yorkshire or compete with them, only to run it when they decide not to run it.

Derek
  • bobh wrote:
    B C Yorkshire very much regrets that it wasn't able to agree a formula with Derek Boocock to organise the event in 2009. As he indicated after organising two Sportives and the National Road Race Championship in 2008 the team at BC Yorkshire Events Group is in need of a battery re-charge or an increase in volunteer numbers. For 2009 it will continue with the Ryedale Rumble an event that is a "work in progress" and is now developing opportunities for cycling generally in North Yorkshire. The Rumble will move to a new date of the 9th August. We will also be organising the Ryedale Grand Prix Premier Calendar Race on the 7th June.

The White Rose Classic won't be promoted in 2009 but we hope that it can return in 2010 perhaps on a rotational basis with the Rumble.

Typical BC Bullsh*t on all counts, take something claim it as yours, than when it gets hard work drop it!
    i'll ride anything, but I prefer carbon.......... she screamed!!

www.sportivecentral.com
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    I'm in - one of the best days out this year. Bollocks to the politics lets have agreat day out and raise some money for a fantastic cause.

Good luck Derek.

Paul
  • SunWuKong
    SunWuKong Posts: 364
    I'll be in Derek, although just the short route this time.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Why alternate, what's that about ?

Either they want to organise it or they don't, they can't say 'we're too busy this year, you can have it' and then next year 'get off, it's our event'.
    Either they should organise it properly as a permanent every year thing, or let you organise it every year (assuming you want to of course)

And being practical about it, won't it all be just too confusing if the organisation see-saws backwards and forwards ?
    Who to contact, website, etc

And that's just for us entrants - what about the local authorities, police, etc who need to be involved/informed ?
  • Booboocp
    Andy, I offered to work with BC (Bob Howden) on this and his terms were dictorial to say the least. Not only that but his dismissal of myself and Caroline's work over the years and his accusations that I'm indirectly responsible for BC Yorkshire not running it in 2009 was disgraceful. Whatever, I want nothing more to do with him.

No doubt he will spin it differently, but I do keep all emails and in almost all he is bragging either about how deep his pockets are or how he is an expert in legal matters and threatening me with legal action. Well I've had enough and have been advised that the following is not breaking any laws:

My aim is to create a sportive that raises maximum funds for cancer charities, not pay BC fees.

Therefore I am running an event which will run yearly, with the sole purpose of raising much needed funds for local cancer charities. The volunteers will mostly be drawn from this community and have a wealth of experience to work alongside mine. If BC wish to try to challenge this, I think it will be a PR disaster for them and I cant see Bob Howden getting his personal spat with me past BC HQ.

Let the riders decide which events they want to support and I have no problems if BC decide to run the White Rose Classic again. Bob seems sure riders will still support him, so let's see what happens.

Oh and I have compromised and my event will be called The White Rose Challenge.

More details soon...
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    pdstsp wrote:
    I'm in - one of the best days out this year. Bollocks to the politics lets have agreat day out and raise some money for a fantastic cause.

Good luck Derek.

Paul

+ 1 from me
  • sicrow wrote:
    pdstsp wrote:

Good luck Derek.

Paul

+ 1 from me

+2
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • genki
    genki Posts: 305
    Booboocp wrote:
    Oh and I have compromised and my event will be called The White Rose Challenge.

More details soon...

Can't you call it the "The White Rose Classic Challenge" :wink: ? I'm on for it again next year. Keep up the good work :P
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    Good on you Derek.

Any chance you could move the date forward a few weeks, I'll be at Ironman France that weekend? :wink:
  • I'm a bit shocked by this to be honest but this is an event I truly love and I will be there and 2009 will see me bring someone else with me who'll be carrying on the family name when I'm too old and doddery (won't be long now!) to ride it myself.
    Your optimism strikes me like junk mail addressed to the dead.
  • Good on ya Derek.

We're right behind you (& Caroline) on this.
    Is BC now trying to take the limelight since the UCI/ASO spat is over ?

This years event was very good, and no doubt you'll arrange the weather for us again next year.

I know at least 5 of us who will definitely be on the start line next year.

You could always call it 'The Boocock White Rose Challenge !!' Afterall, the likes of Phil Liggett and co have their challenges for charity, and slap their name on there !

:D
    "There are no hills, there is no wind, I feel no pain !"

"A bad day on the bike is always better than a good day in the office !"
  • fraz167
    fraz167 Posts: 142
    Bravo Derek,

My brother and i will be entering again, apart suffering a loss through cancer earlier this year i think do this for charity is an excellent decision.

Regards
    Fraser
  • fraz167
    fraz167 Posts: 142
    Bravo Derek,

My brother and i will be entering again, apart suffering a loss through cancer earlier this year i think do this for charity is an excellent decision.

Regards
    Fraser
  • northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549
    wow I hope this goes ahead me and my friend only just found out about it and were going to enter and look forward to it - wndered why information on it was 'lacking' and I only just found this thread and really hope it goes ahead, if so theres another 2 on the start line !
  • TomF
    TomF Posts: 494
    Due to domestic matters, my riding was very much curtailed this year, so I wasn't able to ride it. I did, however, ride the 2007 edition, and regard this ride as one of the toughest (but most beautiful) I have done in the UK.

If it's anything like that in 2009, then it will be an excellent and well run event. Thoroughly recommended.

(T-shirt was a bloody awful colour, though!)

Tom
  • giner1961
    giner1961 Posts: 135
    Yep i shall be riding it again, enjoyed the 2008 event as hard as it was, also liked the T shirt loved the colour (in the eye of the beholder).

the politics should now be put aside, and should agree to disagree, now that the event is going to be run, see you there
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    I enjoyed this years event and had a good day out. There was one descent which I thought was a bit hairy - there were a lot of dog walkers and ramblers walking along it as well, and I was a little disappointed not to get a T shirt at the end - they only had XXL left despite finishing only 15 minutes after the 'Silver' cut off time (I stopped for 45 minutes for a chip lunch in Horton in R'dale - at a very slow cafe)! However, it was nice route in all and the feed stops and signposting/marshalling were all really good. Hope next years event goes well and is blessed with the same lovely weather again! Probably won't be be riding it next year as I've other plans for 2009, but good luck to all who take part.
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    Typical I'm behind BLONDE again, just can't get past her. Good luck Derek , I missed the White Rose this year but I fancy a crack at it next year. If you need some photos give me a shout. This years photo shoot was one of the highlights of my year.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • JLC
    JLC Posts: 39
    I volunteered at one of the feed stations at this years White Rose Classic and also the Ryedale Rumble, it is disappointing to find out all about this on here first! I was hoping to help out again and had also emailed to ask if I could help out more.
    Just to make it clear, some of us who helped out during the day were not part of British Cycling, and are just keen cyclists who gave up the day and decided to help out rather than take part in the event. We did not get paid or claim petrol money etc, but did it purely to make sure events like this carry on and put something back into cycling.
    I really do not like this public arguing and I think it will, if anything, put people off like myself or newcomers volunteering in the future.
    So just one plea, can we please keep the arguments in private.

If whoever organises the event whats some helps please contact me and I will consider it again, as long as the arguments stop on here!
  • I fancied doing it this year but was in Scotland at the time. I went on BC website to get a date for next year's event but no info. Now I know why. I'll be entering next year.
    If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    bobh wrote:

Has BC changed its position, and now running the WRC?

Is there another event?
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Ken Night wrote:
    bobh wrote:

Has BC changed its position, and now running the WRC?

Is there another event?

Hi Ken,

Yes, BC have managed to get new sponsors and are now able to run a new 'WRC'....Derek will run the Challenge route using the original Classic route in June(which he devised), and BC is going to run the 'Classic' in July with a whole new route a tad more Northerly in the magnificnet dales...cannot wait to see the new route....Itheres an abundance of untapped gems still in the dales so I hope we get a sportive which is very different to the excellent current ones.
  • Two WRC's in the space of a month.

You're killing me guys :lol:
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Booboocp
    The White Rose Challenge will be run in aid of Cancer Research UK and all the proceeds left over will go to the charity as well as the opportunity for riders to raise sponsorship themselves. As their will be a good prize for the rider who raises the most, we are hoping to reach a large target (I'll confirm on the website) for Cancer Research.

The reason we have chosen Cancer Research most will know, but for those that don't, we have both been helped to fight and overcome this terrible disease and know what it is like to have community support available. Also many of you will know personally someone who has had this disease and I can think of no more fitting charity to support. This as opposed to someone just pocketing the proceeds gives riders the choice of which they would prefer to ride and support. As Richyboy says maybe some will ride both.

The original course will be used for the White Rose Challenge, albeit with a minor change to accomodate the new HQ. As this is a firmly established route, I see no reason to change it. The one thing that will be different is a checkpoint on Langbar!

Entries will begin this week, see www.whiterosechallenge.co.uk for details.

Derek & Caroline
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    Can you make the Langbar checkpoint about half way up so I've got an excuse to dtop for a bit?

Looking forward to it already.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Nooo, you'd never get started again.

A checkpoint at the top, with oxygen please.

I assume the idea is to catch some clever b*gger who nips past it on the main road and avoids the er, pleasure of it all ?
  • bobh
    bobh Posts: 163
    BC Yorkshire as long been a supporter and fund provider for Cancer Research UK . Since 2005 our Ryedale Cycling Weekend has featured the Ryedale Ride for Cancer Research and this has raised upwards of £10,000 per annum, so like Derek we do our bit. As BC Yorkshire is "not for profit" we put everything we earn as surplus back into providing opportunities for young cyclists.

We equally recognise the value of organisers in cycling who are professionals, it enables the standard of promotion to be taken to new levels and we should all aspire to that. It doesn't make a promotion any less worthy or rideable.

Bob H
  • OFOAB
    OFOAB Posts: 905
    bobh wrote:
    BC Yorkshire as long been a supporter and fund provider for Cancer Research UK . Since 2005 our Ryedale Cycling Weekend has featured the Ryedale Ride for Cancer Research and this has raised upwards of £10,000 per annum, so like Derek we do our bit. As BC Yorkshire is "not for profit" we put everything we earn as surplus back into providing opportunities for young cyclists.

We equally recognise the value of organisers in cycling who are professionals, it enables the standard of promotion to be taken to new levels and we should all aspire to that. It doesn't make a promotion any less worthy or rideable.

Bob H

Never one to miss a chance to blow your own trumpet are you Bob!
    I wish I was any place but the someplace I\'m in