Finishing a ride with a cough?????

salsarider79
salsarider79 Posts: 828
Does anyone know why, if I'm really :twisted: on a ride, why I end the ride with a cough which goes away after about 15 mins. It's a whezzy type of cough, kind of like my lungs aren't properly open. I also find it hard to breathe while tackling some the steepest hills around Bath, and often have to back off a little in order to breathe properly. I'm hoping this is normal.
My diet is still not very good, (Though I'm doing something about it, not eating chocolate, ice cream and crisps every day, but trying pasta and salad for lunch instead) could this have any affect? I drink water or squash when riding, usually every 20-30 minutes, but don't eat much. I used to smoke, but gave up about 3 years ago so can't be that.
I was riding about 200miles a week when I lived in Norwich, now I'm in Bath and riding less, I still aim for 100miles per week.

I'm most worried as my mums had 2 heart attacks in the last 2 years, and my dad is on medication for his heart. :cry:
jedster wrote:
Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I also find it hard to breathe while tackling some the steepest hills around Bath

Thats the altitude that causes that, maybe you should take oxygem like they do when climbing everest :lol: Seriously though I have this sometimes and I don't do any climbing if I can help it.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    First thing first, get along to your GP and get yourself checked out for Asthma. if it is something as simple as that it can be medicated.

I am always coughing after cycling because the exercise has worked my lungs and I often have to take a puff on my inhaler just to clear everything up.

Always getting checked up to rule out any of the nasties
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I get the same thing on any ride over 4 or 5 hours.
    I was told it's something to do with dehydration, but not convinced that's true.
    exercise.png
  • bill57
    bill57 Posts: 454
    I had a cough yesterday, after swallowing a large fly a mile from home. Gave me an energy boost for the final climb so I suppose I shouldn't complain.
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    I get that same cough sometimes, especially after I've been ill. In the Spring I had a viral chest infection which kept me off for several weeks, and in the months afterwards I got the cough you described. Eventually it went away.

1000mg of vitamin C after a ride might be what I would do if I had such a cough.

HTH
    Andy
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    I think a cough like that is quite common after moderate to severe exertion, especially in winter when the air is colder/wetter and you might be recovering from viruses etc. You're irritating your bronchial tubes with all of that heavy breathing and producing more mucus, also loosening up any mucus that may have been down there in the first place. But what you describe does sound a bit like mild asthma - best get it checked out just in case, then you can get medication for it if necessary.
  • damage36
    damage36 Posts: 282
    Go see your GP. Its much better to have a doctor check you over properly (including your worries about heart problems in the family) than rely on the remedies recommended by other cyclists (well meaning as they are).
    All the best,

DMG
    Legs, lungs and lycra.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    Perhaps it might be exercise-induced asthma? Best to see your GP about it just to be on the safe side.