Mail order recommendations?

man2wolf
man2wolf Posts: 70
edited October 2008 in Road beginners
Hi
I'm new to road biking - just bought a Scott Speedster S60. This is my first post and just wondered if anyone can recommend any particular internet mail order companies so I can shop around for clothing/accessories. Wiggle seems to be the main one but any others? In particular, does anyone have any experience of using http://www.parker-international.co.uk/ or http://www.probikekit.com/
Have seen these advertised in CW
Thanks

Comments

• Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Parker and PBK are pretty good in general

Lots of poeple seem to have had problems with Ribble
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Wiggle, Chain Reaction, ProBikekit and Parkers all have great service and reputations. Historically, Ribble weren't too good but have improved a lot in recent years, so I'd have no concerns about using them. The one to avoid is Dave Hinde or No1BikeBits on ebay - they have a terrible reputation.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Gav2000
    Gav2000 Posts: 408
    I use DH Cyclesport for bike parts, delivery is very quick.

Also, Shiny Bikes are very good for groupsets and Shimano/Campagnolo parts.

And, SJS Cycles are good as well.
    Gav2000

Like a streak of lightnin' flashin' cross the sky,
    Like the swiftest arrow whizzin' from a bow,
    Like a mighty cannonball he seems to fly.
    You'll hear about him ever'where you go.
  • Thanks for the quick responses guys - much appreciated
  • I ordered a new saddle from wiggle friday afternoon bout 1ish and it was delivered saturday morning.Result. Free post too.
    SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES; NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS
  • Hornetto
    Hornetto Posts: 141
    +1 for Chain Reaction Cycles - ordered new chainset on monday at 10am, free delivery and it arrived tuesday morning!
    Never argue with an idiot - they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience
  • Colzer1
    Colzer1 Posts: 58
    Chain reaction everytime for me. I just simply cant fault them
    Pace RC405
    Pace RC303
    Specialized A1 Rockhopper Pro Disc
    Bits A Bike SingleSpeed mountain bike
    Single speed Reynolds steel framed road bike
    1992 Marin rocky Ridge
    1990 Trek 8000
    1991 Kona Fire Mountain
  • Ribble, Chainreactioncycles and Wiggle have been faultless for me. A mate also recommends Parkers.
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Used to be Parkers, but a lot of their prices seem to not be so competitive any more. Chain Reaction excellent if they have what you want.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • zanes
    zanes Posts: 563
    Wiggle, recently ordered some tyres off them. Was sent the wrong ones, and wiggle said that I could keep the (wrong, but usable) tyres and that'd they'd "priority" dispatch the correct ones. Result, £35 worth of free tyres. Can't fault that!
  • A heads up for the folk at www.prendas.co.uk too :D
  • scwxx77
    scwxx77 Posts: 1,469
    edited October 2008
    I've nothing but good things to say about GB Cycles. Prendas and Wiggle 2nded.
    Winner: PTP Vuelta 2007 :wink:
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Probikekit and Ribble for me.

I won't be ordering from JE James again.
  • Prendas are excellent. I've not ordered much from them but Chain Reaction are very good too.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I just used Evans mail for the first time, and they failed already.

They sent a chainset to my "billing address" rather than the "delivery address" - what's the point in letting you choose a seperate delivery address if they won't use it. They've delivered the chainset 50miles from where I need it, It's just a good job I don't go to a university any further away from home and that I'm seeing my parents on Sunday afternoon.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Tony666
    Tony666 Posts: 274
    I always use wiggle (including for my Felt) and have been more than satisfied with their service.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Pearsons sent me a bike next day for only £8.50 postage, which I thought was pretty good.

Ordered something from Merlin Cycles last night and got e-mail to say they've dispatched it today so thumbs up from me.
  • dcab
    dcab Posts: 255
    if your in the north west ribble are worth a visit , chain reaction have been spot on for me?
    veritas vos liberabit
  • hothead
    hothead Posts: 123
    Probikekit and wiggle. 1st class service and easy touse sites
  • Gav2000
    Gav2000 Posts: 408
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    Probikekit and Ribble for me.

I won't be ordering from JE James again.

The JE James website always says in stock but it never is, 2-3 days get wasted before you get the email saying sorry out of stock, how crap!
    Gav2000

Like a streak of lightnin' flashin' cross the sky,
    Like the swiftest arrow whizzin' from a bow,
    Like a mighty cannonball he seems to fly.
    You'll hear about him ever'where you go.
  • shmo
    shmo Posts: 321
    Used to buy everything from Wiggle and ChainReactionCycles but Ribble seems to be cheaper on a lot of things now and they've been getting all my business. Except for the frame and groupset I bought recently which was cheapest from Merlin Cycles by a country mile.

All 4 are good but Ribble is my favourite at the moment.
  • Barrie_G
    Barrie_G Posts: 479
    I've found Merlin to be very good, though they tend to be more for the mountian bike end of the market though they are starting to do more road stuff.

I've never had any problems with wiggle or chain reaction cycles either.
  • dcab
    dcab Posts: 255
    i own a merlin mountain bike ! they have always been spot on, on the web and in the store!
    veritas vos liberabit
  • Paul Sh
    Paul Sh Posts: 607
    Chain Reaction without a doubt is my first port of call, i've just built a full bike with almost every part coming CR and not one single part came longer than next day, superb prices, free delivery, and good returns policy, Wiggle is next but getting a bit expensive, superb service on par with CR. what more could you want... apart from everything for FREE of course. :)
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Another vote for Wiggle, CRC, and Parkers.
    Ribble has improved and generally a bit cheaper.

There's a couple of German sites that sometimes end up cheaper (also very good service):
    - bike24.com
    - jedi-sports.de
    exercise.png
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Avoid Winstanleys. Nothing but trouble. (just do a search on here to find out the details).

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Probike kit recent purchase hassle free plus free postage !
    Evans cycles same result :D
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    CRC, Wiggle, Ribble, Parkers - I've found CRC despatch the quickest (on the whole).
  • Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398
    I just used Evans mail for the first time, and they failed already.

They sent a chainset to my "billing address" rather than the "delivery address" - what's the point in letting you choose a seperate delivery address if they won't use it. They've delivered the chainset 50miles from where I need it, It's just a good job I don't go to a university any further away from home and that I'm seeing my parents on Sunday afternoon.

I had exactly the same problem with Evans.

GB Cycles, Jim Walker, Wiggle and Total Cycling have all done a good job for me...
  • W5454
    W5454 Posts: 133
    A heads up for the folk at www.prendas.co.uk too :D

+1 for Prendas.Great service every time.