Trek 1.7 C 2009 are they any good?

2»

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    320DMsport wrote:
    How much were the wheels to upgrade??

The lad in the shop said they could do with upgrading when they need it and would make a good training bike.

The old Giant OCR i'm riding feels like a shed compared to the 1.7 but i haven't ridden the 4.7...yet.

I pressume the 4.7 wheels are better spec than the 1.7 so wouldn't need to spend the money extra upgrading wheels?

My mrs is pretty cool about buying stuff.

Wheels are the best place to upgrade, mine cost £120 or there about from Merlin cycles http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=product&productId=1325&categoryId=167

If you don't use the wheels that come with the bike you'll get at least £100 for them so all round a pretty sweet upgrade.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    If you get the 4.7 the wheels are as good as the Aksiums.
  • itboffin
    I think the extra £££ for the 4.7 is because it has a carbon frame and ultegra kit not on the wheels, those look like the same as 1.7, I found they flexed to much and rubbed when out of the saddle and I didn't like the poor grip from the bontrager tyres now swapped for Michelins lithon light, speedy, grippy and cheap £10 each

Either way Trek make damn good well built bikes - pretty too!!!
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    Yeh I spoted that and you know what my 1.7 has the race wheels on it, I hadn't really noticed until now.

Bonus, there on my Dolan cross now. Still the LBS I bought mine from messed it up pretty badly a huge list of poor customer service and bad bike set up not what Trek would want from a dealer nor me for that matter, esp as I was my first road bike and I didn't have a clue what was what.
  • Well i went and rode the 4.7, defo smoother and more comfy over bad surfaces which there are alot of round here.

So i've gone for the 4.7....job done.
  • Elganesh
    Elganesh Posts: 143
    I'm getting a 4.7 in a little over a week and having test ridden it, I can't wait! I finally understand the difference a stiffer bottom bracket can make.

My only concern now is that I have seen a lot of bad reviews of the Bontrager Race wheelset that comes with it (going out of true quickly, rims cracking around the spoke etc). I suppose it's all subjective but I'm looking to upgrade them anyway if I find any problems.

All the same, I loved the feel of the ride and I'm planning my first major test in 2 weeks.

Welsh mountains here I come!
    FCN = 4.5 Roadie, hairy legs, half a beard (say goateeeeee!)
  • Suppose it depends how heavy you are?

I've got Bonty race lite wheels on both my MTB's and i've hammered them down allsorts, never been a prob.

Have to see how they go when we get them!

I loved the ride position of the 4.7, Treks seem to really fit me with out much messing around.

Can't wait either.
  • Elganesh
    Elganesh Posts: 143
    Fortunately, I'm only 79 kilos and most of the reviewers were at significantly heavier, though not all. They're also covered by a 5 year warranty from what I've seen so if they do fail, I can always get them replaced, sell them on and upgrade. Win win as far as i can see.

I have to say, I loved the way I could move my hands around the bars far more easily than my current bike. The whole bike seemed to respond to what I needed it to do instantly and the acceleration is massively improved.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how it feels climbing up some nasty gradients and the ensuing descents.

7 days to go now!
    FCN = 4.5 Roadie, hairy legs, half a beard (say goateeeeee!)
  • I'm 88kg and my Race wheels are still absolutely true. And roll really well.

They're so good that I've decided that my upgrade will be the Race X lites.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • All sounds really good, after a fair bit of training i'm down to 70 kg so i should be fine with the wheels.

Hopefully get mine soon.

I know what you mean about being able to move your hands round the bars etc, i could quite happily ride and sprint on the drops, must be that the bike actually fits, well alot better than what i'm riding anyway.
  • starseven
    starseven Posts: 112
    As the owner of a Allez for a few years now I'm a bit bored of the slopy top tube thing and whilst in the local dealers I saw the 2009 1.7 ,they also a fresh delivery of spech allez and secatuers . The trek looked great , don't get me wrong the spechs were nice but I realy like the more traditional look of the 1.7 it was nice and light and best of all had room and fittings for mudguards! Oh and like some others have said get aksiums Ive used mine off road with 25s day in day out no problems,best upgrade on this level of bike.