Yep need help to go Ti or CF on new bike.

2»

Comments

• DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Woody68 wrote:
    Thanks David

I have been trying to build a bike on Mosquitos site using an IF cross but can't get it as cheap oranywhere near the cost of a VN.

Notice you live not far away. Any good bike shops in the area. I am new down here so haven't got to grips with the LBS. I am Petersfield way.

Also any good road/trails over that way. 30+ milers or so.

My LBS is Hargroves Cycles near the railway station, who have a few other branches in Hants and one in Chichester. Winchester's other main bike shop is Peter Hansford in Oliver's Battery (not far from the big out-of-town Sainsburys) but haven't tried them out yet. Have also been in contact with one of the staff from GA Cycles in Southampton (I forget where exactly in Soton, might be Shirley) and they seem very helpful, but haven't used them yet as I tend not to venture out of town much for shopping. There's some handy shortish off-road bridlepaths etc. around Sparsholt and Farley Mount, on the north-west(ish) side of Winchester which are good for cyclo-cross training, so probably the wrong side of town if coming from Petersfield.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    Woody68 wrote:
    Thanks David

Notice you live not far away. Any good bike shops in the area. I am new down here so haven't got to grips with the LBS. I am Petersfield way.

Also any good road/trails over that way. 30+ milers or so.

As my daughter has just gone to Southampton Uni, (gives a good pointer to my age, I know) I've been thinking about routes in the area

One thing I've been wanting to do for years, is the South Downs Way, either MtB or crosser, preferably the latter

Is this possible?
    My LBS is Hargroves Cycles near the railway station, who have a few other branches in Hants and one in Chichester. Winchester's other main bike shop is Peter Hansford in Oliver's Battery (not far from the big out-of-town Sainsburys) but haven't tried them out yet. Have also been in contact with one of the staff from GA Cycles in Southampton (I forget where exactly in Soton, might be Shirley) and they seem very helpful, but haven't used them yet as I tend not to venture out of town much for shopping.

David

As bike shops in this part of the west country are fairly poor, which of those shops would you recommend for a nice browse?
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    Ken Night wrote:
    As my daughter has just gone to Southampton Uni, (gives a good pointer to my age, I know) I've been thinking about routes in the area

One thing I've been wanting to do for years, is the South Downs Way, either MtB or crosser, preferably the latter

Is this possible?

Yes. Back when I lived in Winchester a friend of mine did the South Downs Way from Winchester to Eastbourne in a day. I think it was an organised event. He rode a MTB but said it was never technical and if he did it again he'd use a cross bike. It's about 100 miles end to end I believe.
  • Woody68
    Woody68 Posts: 18
    Having riden most of the southdowns way I can agree with andyp that it would be possible on a crosser. Slippery chalk around Brighton could be fun in the wet on skinnies.

Would love to give it a go myself but all in a day is a bit much esp with days getting shorter.

May get over to winchester this time off and check out Hanfords.

Ken

Went to Hargroves in Soton that was worth a browse and even the younger guys talked a lot of sense. It was the one on the way in from A27 to the shopping centre. Easy to get to just google it.
    Confirmed bike addict.

Intense 5.5 EVP
    Yeti 575
    On one inbred
    Felt F65
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    There are very few bikes which I really, really, desire - Ken's Ti with discs is one of them! Three grand to spend and I would blatantly copy it!.
    The Ti On One crossers very occasionally come up 2nd hand - well worth keeping an eye out for one. I had one of the (three, I think) single speed versions (fixed) - delightful off-road!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • Ken Night
    meagain wrote:
    There are very few bikes which I really, really, desire - Ken's Ti with discs is one of them! Three grand to spend and I would blatantly copy it!. !

Thanks Dave

I don't think you'd have to spend £3k

I've just horrified myself by calculating how much I have spent, but it's nowhere near that!

"that" Everti bike frame would cost around £900, not too far away from the VN Amazon

I should say I had my CD for four years, as a commuting bike, cross bike, road bike, before settling on this build...I may not have finished yet-I'd like to think road compatible discs will improve
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    But horrified and homeless are two different things, Ken!
    Not ONLY the money, though: I probably don't have the patience to gather all the stuff and put it together without cutting corners just to save time! Short attention span I fear.
    If I saw something very similar ready done for a grand (not that concerned about Ti frame for example), then I'd probably raid the savings (assuming of course that the Bank hasn't folded!).
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I think you'll find the Everti frames are built by Xi'an in China and the same for Spicer Cycles too. The choice of Shimano or Campagnolo depends on how much fun you want to have finding a disc hub for Campagnolo. Choices are very limited unless you spend loads on a DT or similar. I run Chorus on my disc-equipped crosser with an XT hub and Campagnolo-spaced - but you can only fit 8 sprockets as the freehub is too narrow.
    Regarding the Southdowns Way, I know loads of people who've ridden it in a day unassisted - best time is late summer when the tracks have dried out - wet clay and chalk is very slippery. I've ridden plenty of similar trails on my crosser - very fast when hard-packed but can be quite technical. It was too wet this year to contemplate.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night wrote:
    maddog 2 wrote:
    ti crosser must be a good bet

I've got an Airborne Carpe Diem - the older version of the VN Amazon -
    .......the usual suspects/proponents out early, and in force. Monty Dog will be along in a minute :D

What took you so long Monty?

How have you dealt with the freehub issue with the modded Chorus cassette?

I've been umming and ahhing about that Castelli jacket since I saw one in February this year....should have got one in the summer when they were going for a (very slight) discount

I'd like to suggest a few of us meet up to do the SD Way. Perhaps when the weather is better, though the way I feel about it now, I just want to go for it. It'd be good to chew the fat and ogle a bike or two....

anyone......?