Tesco 3w cree

Comments

• found this, the torch looks slightly different but still uses the 3W Cree LED, says it outputs typically 80 - 90 lumens

http://www.globalsourcesdirect.com/servlet/the-4260/3W-Cree-LED-Flashlight/Detail
    Returning to MTB'ing after 13 year break: Merida Matts Sub 60d

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll59 ... G_1243.jpg
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    My guess is a lot of these torches are the same - mass produced, rebadged.

Typical output is more meaningful. Unregulated power supplies often only hit the max for a short amount of time.

My guess is the Tesco is 90 lumens or so.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Blagged the last one from Tesco Eastville tonight. Just spent 10 mins trying to turn it on then I realised there is a plastic tab at the end with the switch :oops: knew there had to be one somewhere but couldn't see it. Now need a lockblock or similar.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Just bought 2 of the 3W C battery ones for the bars and one of the 3w AA battery ones for the helmet (last one in the shop), not bad for £ 34. Seem way brighter than the allegedly massively powerful Cateye Opticube thingy I've got which cost more :shock: Beam spread is much better.

I carried out the usual test, point em down the garden at the back fence from the back door (it was lashing down outside :( ).

Also ordered some of those lock block thingies from the Fenix site, 3 cost a smidge over £ 20.

So all in all a full light set for £ 55, just hope it works now (still will be a lot cheaper than forking out for a Lupine Wilma and then finding out I don't like night riding). Can always upgrade later...........
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    ah someone that has both - was there any difference in the beam between the C and AA versions?
  • swagman
    swagman Posts: 115
    Last year i bought the Torch twin headlamp rechargeable battery light from Tescos for £10, bargain.
  • redvee
    stumpyjon wrote:
    Also ordered some of those lock block thingies from the Fenix site, 3 cost a smidge over £ 20.

Are these what you've ordered?

https://www.fenix-store.com/product_inf ... cts_id=273
  • Panter
    Panter Posts: 299
    redvee wrote:
    stumpyjon wrote:

They're the ones I've ordered, I haven't received them yet but they get good reviews.

As above though, mine were more in the region of £6.00 each plus p&p.

Incidentally, I'll do a comparison against a Hope vision 1 this evening for the C cell lights.

HTH

Chris :)
    Racing snakes. It's not big, and it's not clever ;)
  • spdpug98
    spdpug98 Posts: 112
    redvee wrote:
    stumpyjon wrote:

Thanks for the link I have just ordered 3, just got to nip down to Tesco's to see if they have any torches left
  • stumpyjon
    ah someone that has both - was there any difference in the beam between the C and AA versions?

The C battery ones seem to be more focused and more yellowy in light, the AA ones seem to be whiter but more diffuse (based on the back garden test).

Yeah those were the lock blocks I ordered from the UK site. £ 6.95 each and free postage because I ordered 3 I think (£ 20 min order & free postage?).

Ordered them from the UK Fenix site, Google Twofish lockblock and it'll be in the top couple of results.

• Lockblock question:
    Does the top piece swivel on the bottom piece, or is it one block with the two straps ?
    Not sure if that is clear, but if I mount the block on a swept bar, can I then swivel the torch to face forward, all the pictures show the torch held at 90 degrees to a nice straight bar.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • stumpyjon
    I think it may be at 90 degs, I'll let you know when I get mine, hopefully tomorrow.

• apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Thanks Stumpyjon.

If you get the LockBlocks from http://www.thephotonshop.co.uk/page64.htm they are cheaper by the way and they sell both a 90 degree and inline version which indicates they are not adjustable.
  • Thanks apreading, though now you've caused me another problem, I'm going to have to buy one of the second ones to try as a helmet mount now.
  • dsmiff
    dsmiff Posts: 741
    edited October 2008
    Quick update, a mate in work wants to sell his light and motion Vega, took some shots in the garden, along with the ultrafire Q5 that arrived yesterday and the tesco cree:

2908056124_54703a7386.jpg
    Tesco 3w Cree

2907214125_f05d43f6a6.jpg
    Ultrafire w606a Q5

and last but least!
    2907216829_8379988f93.jpg
    light and motion vega, make your own mind up, he want's £40.

See here for all the shots.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/98234388@N00/sets/72157607638956339/
    http://www.youtube.com/dnsmiff
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Nice pics ;-)

Might have to use them lol
  • redvee
    Ditto ^^^^^ was watching a lockblock on ebay and would have saved myself 20p if I bought from them but wouldn't have got it so quick.
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    edited October 2008
    I bought two of the AA sized ones last night on my way home.

Hastly mounted them to my bars using a universal mounting bar thingy and some cable ties.

Headed out in the pouring rain into the forest with 3 other lads, one has Hope 4's (not even worth thrying to compare with these) and another has a Hope 1.

Two of the Tesco 3W Cree's are comparable with the Hope 1 for light, beam and focus.

They provided plenty of light for single track through trees and waist high bracken, more than enough for a rooty descent, even spotted the rabbit crossing my path very closely and overall was very impressed.

Regarding water proofness etc, they sttod up to 2 hours of constant rain, spray adn dirt last night with no ill affects other than a bit of grit seemingly getting into the on/off button and making it slightly stiff, I'm sure this will fall out once dry though. Alternativley I'll put some gaffer tape over it to provide a bit of a better seal.

Might get another as a helmet light for those close in moments. Also on the bargain front I bought a Eveready charger today that came with 6 No. 2500mA AA cells for £12 from B&Q, granted it's not a fast charger but it's good for the money.
  • Strapped two to my hemet for last night's ride, left one on permanently and put the other one on as required. After 1.5hrs the first one had dimmed appreciably, this was using the alkaline AAs that it came with.
    Still needed a bar light as the spill from the helmet didn't light up close enough infront of the bike, I used to use a homemade halogen up top and could ride pretty much anything with just that lit.
  • stumpyjon
    After 1.5hrs the first one had dimmed appreciably,

I suppose that's one of things you pay for with 'good' lights is better batteries. However the batteries they come with won't be great quality and may have been around for quite awhile. That said when they are AA batteries it's not difficult to carry spares.

Can't wait to try mine out, my lockblocks arrived this morning from Fenix (pretty fast, only ordered late on Wednesday night) according to my missus (and so did some stuff from Wiggle I'd ordered :D ).

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Can anyone post a link to the exact model for the AA one? I'm exactly the sort of person that would buy the wrong one :roll:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Northwind wrote:
    Can anyone post a link to the exact model for the AA one? I'm exactly the sort of person that would buy the wrong one :roll:
    the AA one is not available on line & there are no links for it.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    Has anyone found a decent way of mounting these, i found that with the lockblock it still bounced around, im thinking of using the two jubilee clip approach.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • stumpyjon
    I haven't tried to mount them on the bars yet but the lockblock seems to work well on the helmet with an AA torch.

Just a thought but if you have 2 torches on the bars it might be possible to use two of the parrallel lockblocks to hold the torches together and then another 2 to mount on the bars, might make it all a bit more stable.

Weather's fould here today (as forecast) so I can't see me trying them out tonight :( .

• Northwind wrote:

Here's some piccies:

dscf3233mr5.th.jpgthpix.gif

dscf3234wi6.th.jpgthpix.gif

In my Tesco Extra they were in Aisle 6 next to the light bulbs.

HTH
  • I found 'em next to the light bulbs in my local Tesco as well, so seems to be where they put 'em
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Thangyou Yahoobedoo.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Bought one of the C battery model types - brilliant !! Notice someone has posted that they could not get them working with rechargeables. Mine wouldn't either but I noticed the positive terminal on the rear of the torch LED is a conical spring which makes electrical contact with batteries that have all metal tops but does not with my rechargeables which have a small diameter positive terminal set in a plastic top cover. I fitted a small spring washer around the battery positive terminal which effectively increased its diameter and they now work fine.
  • xgeek
    xgeek Posts: 117
    Just picked up 2 of the AA version while doing the weekly shopping. Need to get a couple of mounts and I am sorted.

Nice find OP
  • dsmiff
    dsmiff Posts: 741
    A bit off topic (only a bit), but now I've got these torches my Cateye has become redundant, so I've managed to get to led and plan to replace it with the cree or even a P7 (seen an article on candlepower forums) - anyone tried this themselves?

Thanks
    http://www.youtube.com/dnsmiff