Tesco 3w cree

Comments

• Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    x-isle wrote:
    Just out of interest, how big is the AA version?

I use a Hope Vision 4, which is like riding with the sun on your head, but I was thinking more of a backup/repair torch to carry in my Camelbak.

Using my trusty ruler...

15.5cm long, 3cm wide - it's pretty small really. Easily small enough to stick on a bike helmet.
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    Thanks, seems just the job.

A trip to Tesco for me then!
    Craig Rogers
  • I'm going to give these AA sized ones a go, will nip out to Tescos in a bit to grab a couple.

Can anyone tell me where I can pick up a mounting block of some sort that will allow me to fit an AA to the stem and also the bars themselves?.

Does anyone know of such a mounting block that can be had in a high street retailer somewhere or is there no other choice but to mail order them?.

Thanks. 8)
    Ethernet (noun): Something used to catch the etherbunny.
    Road : Pinarello FP1 | MTB : Cube Acid 2010
  • RSV_Ecosse, you need the twofish lockblock to hold them on. I don't know of any high street stores that stock them, I got mine online and they came very quickly. For hemet or stem mounting, you need the inline version, for bar mounting, the bike mounted version. I have two bike mounted ones as I mount on my bars. I haven't tried the inline version, but the bar mounted ones work well.

http://www.thephotonshop.co.uk/page64.htm
    Boardman Road Comp '08
    Spesh FSR XC Expert '08
  • RSV_Ecosse
    If you want a high street solution just go into a hardware store and get two jubilee clips, the screw up ones like are on the radiator hoses on your car. Put one through the other and tighten it around your bars (putting some old innertube around first to protect them). Then slip your torch into the second one, again with innertube, and tighten. Voila handle bar mounted torches for pennies, should appeal to a Scot :wink: .
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • Excellent, thanks guys.

Think I will order the twofish stuff and try the jubilee clip method out while I wait for them in the post. :D

As well as those Inline mounts, I quite like the look of the 360 degree adjustable mount at £7.95, but going by the website its currently not in stock.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Or if you want them on your helmet - pinch a hairband off you wife and use a bit of old innertube against the helmet to give it a good base - loop the band thru a vent and you are away !
  • Just bought 2 of the AA torches from Tesco Pollock Glasgow, still had plenty left on the shelf.

I used two cable ties to mount one torch on to the side of an electron front light that I got free with my bike.

I have just took my bike out to an unlit path behind my back garden to do a test between the two lights

WOW

I put on the electron light and nothing, I checked to make sure that the light was on and yes it was but it just doesn't illuminate anything.

I tried the tesco torch and I could see right down the path, what a difference.

Just going to order a couple of mounts for the torches.

What a great set of lights for £20 8)
  • jojo90
    jojo90 Posts: 178
    I ran mine using 2700Mah rechargeable batteries for 2h-2h30 ride and they STILL had juice left in them.... no dimming... ace.

Ran them alongside my bar lights strapped to my helmet with tie wraps against two blocks of foam.
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Boris Spencer: Handle bar mounted torches for pennies, should appeal to a Scot

I am a Scot. What I do is use the jubilee clips off my car radiator and bits of an old inner tube I found in the bin at the back of our local bike shop. I have to replace the jubilee clips and tighten them well up when I go out in the car ... then do the reverse when I go out on the bike. Lot of hard work but it does save money.
  • Update, my rechargeable uniross 2700 don't fit.

I have loads so I took the plastic off a couple and the slide in ok but as soon as the first one goes in it turns the torch on, what I have to do is just unscrew the bulb just a little to turn it off (not ideal!)

Can I recharge these batteries without the plastic? Is it safe?

Does the file method actually work to slide batteries in ok?

If so what size of file is best suited for the job?

Thanks
  • cougie
    I just needed to peel the plastic sticker off one of my batteries to get it in - one end was thinner than the other on my torch. Both ends are open so you cant get one stuck. My battery was from vapextech and they are 2900.
  • Are these on the tesco site?
    Specialized Rockhopper Disc 2008
  • alex9106,

No, the AA version aren't on the website. The C cell 3W and D cell 4W ones are, for £12 and £18 respectively, but I wouldn't recommend putting a D cell on a helmet! Ouch!
    Boardman Road Comp '08
    Spesh FSR XC Expert '08
  • For those having issues with getting rechargable batteries to physically fit inside the torch, as has already been mentioned, BOTH ends of the torch will open.

Screw the end with the lens and bulb located within off and some rechargable batteries that are a tight fit from the base end, will fit in from the lens end easily.

I'm using Energizer 2500mAh rechargables and they would not fit in from the base end.

However, they fit in perfectly from the lens end.

Worth a try before attacking your batteries with blades etc...!!! 8)
  • Mr uniross 2700 rechargables wont fit in either end, so looks like a file job for me :shock:
  • Surf-Matt
    Can't understand why rechargeables are bigger than "normal" batteries?!

Will check our Ansmanns later on - amazing batteries if anyone is after any.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I had a similar problem with a kids nightlight, normal batteries fitted fine, had to take a stanley knife to battery compartment of the light to get the rechargeables to fit.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • I have some old uniross 2100 rechargeable's lying about so thought I would give them a try.

3 out of 4 of the batteries would fit both my torches :shock:

Weird, same batteries as well.

Getting a file tomorrow just to give the chambers a once over
  • Stormy
    Stormy Posts: 18
    Interesting thread and have to say whilst I haven’t seen these Tesco lights they sound really good VFM, I’d certainly have given them some thought had I seen them in action or even known about them before going down the Fenix route.

I currently run a brace of Fenix TK11’s, three on the bars one helmet mounted using a combination of dedicated Fenix bike mounts and one helmet mount, (they rattle like hell) but you can cure this with a few elastic bands wrapped around the mounts.

I like the TK11 because it’s a quality product that’ll give you near enough 3 hours using an 18650 rechargeable cell on full tilt (225 lumens). The beam itself is pretty tight but you do get a lot of useful spill (away from the main spot), and with three on the bars slightly offset you’ll get all the coverage you’ll ever need. Beam throw is very long (listed as 200 meters) and I’d probably agree with that.

I can also split this configuration as well, i.e. split between myself and girlfriends bike one helmet/bar mount each, or even set up four in a row on the bar of our Tandem (the beast) useful when your barrelling down steep hills in the dark now that set up really chucks out some light.

Single bike lights costing £300 plus may give you a neat package with a big output, they are IMO inherently flawed because they tend to be the principle light (unless you’re loaded and have two). Once that fails through fault or accident you are probably going to be royally screwed, the advantages of multiple light set ups such as the Fenix system I run or even the Tesco lights is the eggs in one basket cliché. Appreciate there are pros and cons to all set ups, but I think the build quality of the Fenix is outstanding (it’s waterproof down to 8 meters for example) which I guess is testament to its design and right now they are showing up lights costing much more in £ and offering little more in actual performance.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Once that fails through ... you are probably going to be royally screwed

That's not a bad point. The Tesco torches with a lockblock could be quite a good emergency back up carried in the Camelback.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Surf-Matt
    Very unlikey a light will die on you - but spare batteries are a must for long rides.
    Partly why I got a nice compact Hope 1 LED - can carry 4 spare AA batteries easily. Once your 24215435523535 lumen mega death ray Lupine/whatever goes, that's it. Four ++ hours charging needed until you can ride again.

I just don't think the spread of any torch light is good enough for riding, unless you have a load of them at different angles. Which ends up looking a bit Mad Max!
  • cougie
    Four TK11s - thats a serious set up !
  • S_J_P
    S_J_P Posts: 908
    Variety is definitely the key!

I'm currently using a twin-electron set-up plus two C-Cell Tesco torches on the bars and a Petzl MYO-XP on my helmet, 24 Watts is lighting goodness :D (The piccie shows a C and an AA Cell torch, but I now run two C's.

2939524522_513bd2f48d.jpg
  • dsmiff
    dsmiff Posts: 741
    Quick update, I ordered a new led for the cateye - ssc p4 (about £3 from dealexteme)
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2026

Loads better than before, not quite up to the tesco cree, sorry the pictures were taken at different times, same exposure though.

Before:
    2899933690_e61c02deec.jpg

After
    2965472874_3782a68708.jpg

Tesco cree taken at same time:
    2965469664_3e78bf087d.jpg
    http://www.youtube.com/dnsmiff
  • Tom753
    Tom753 Posts: 737
    I found that some rechargables are a very tight fit in my 2xAA torch. A tip is to remove the paper sticker from inside the tube. I use Uniross 2100 Hybrio and the fit OK.

I think we should remember this torch only costs £10!
  • acac
    acac Posts: 348
    hi i got two of the 3 watt aa ones to day loads in stock peterborough hamton
    looks nice and bright my rechargeable batterys fit fine
    just brought the holders hope they arrive quick

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... =p3907.m29
    play hard ride hard
  • rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    just received my fenix mounts from dealextreem - big problem is that the "C torch" is too fat to go in - gutted, back to the drawing board for another mount. The fenix mount looks good too, ideal I'd say for up 2 about 25mm.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I'm just waiting for some stainless jubilee clips to arrive, cost less than the lockblocks etc and they'll be more stable. Cheapness ftw 8) I did lash them up using about 10 metres of tape and some cable ties, and though I've never ridden with proper modern lights, the 2 tesco AAs on the bars plus my array of commuting LED lamps and my old petzl head torch is enough to offroad safely, if not at huge speed. But then I can't do huge speed by daylight :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist