From 10 TT to 25 TT

hothead
hothead Posts: 123
edited September 2008 in Training, fitness and health
Rode a couple of 10 mile TT's this year and as my final race of the year I have a 25 TT next Sunday. Any tips on how to ride this compaired to the 10's??

Comments

• Recce the course is a must and see where you can make the time (for some hills for some flats etc). Check the weather and work when the wind is at your back. Go out slower and save the major effort for the last 10. Use gels half way round and dont make the mistake of not drinking as would sometimes be the case on a 10.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    brownbosh wrote:
    Recce the course is a must and see where you can make the time (for some hills for some flats etc). Check the weather and work when the wind is at your back. Go out slower and save the major effort for the last 10. Use gels half way round and dont make the mistake of not drinking as would sometimes be the case on a 10.
    :shock: You shouldn't need a gel in a 25 - your glycogen fuel tanks won't run out in such a short event if you make sure they're full before you start.

Ride it just like a 10 - except a smidgen easier - you can't make it hurt quite as much for 25 miles as you can for 10.

Ruth
  • Youre entitled to your opinion but it helps me finish strongly compared to the one time i dropped the gel i was going to take! May be a mental thing but I FIND IT HELPS!
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    brownbosh wrote:
    Recce the course is a must and see where you can make the time (for some hills for some flats etc). Check the weather and work when the wind is at your back. Go out slower and save the major effort for the last 10. Use gels half way round and dont make the mistake of not drinking as would sometimes be the case on a 10.

I'm not sure that opening a gel pack while time trialing is anything I would want to try.
    Now if it was in a small bottle and all you had to do was take a quick squeeze then I'm all for it. In the end though I find that an energy drink is more than enough and it's always nice to have something to sip on if the mouth gets dry. Plus I think that it kind of gives you a bit of a mental boost in that it's somewhat refreshing. Check out the course? By all means. Look out for gravel in the corners. Hitting the road and sliding in stones can pretty much ruin your getting a good time. Could pretty much ruin your whole day.
    25 are tough. Good luck.

Dennis Noward