How much time will i have to ride when my new baby is born?

2»

Comments

• I agree with Special K!

I try to commute when I can but that isn't always possible due to work/nursery run/Tesco run. One option I used last summer was to leave my road bike at work and go for rides at lunch time. I would eat on the bike and take a longer lunch every now and then. I'm lucky to work somewhere relatively secure and with good shower facilities. I now have another bike that I use for commuting so I might leave my road bike at work over the winter and try to get out during the day whenever the weather allows.
    No-one wanted to eat Patagonia Toothfish so they renamed it Chilean Sea Bass and now it's in danger of over fishing!
  • I would argue that you can get a good week in by planning and being disciplined - not easy, but achievable - the main hurdle will be conquering your mind and change of priorities in life. At the end of the day baby wants a healthy, happy parent, not a miserable unhealthy git !!
    The great thing about cycling is that you can do it alone and when time suits you, not like team sports.
    It may not be the best training peiiod in your cycling career but it will sure be a memorable and meaningful one.
    Tarmac Chewer
  • purchase a trainer - then you can cycle and look after your baby at the same time?
  • oxon
    oxon Posts: 35
    I started exercising in earnest when my wife was 4 months preganant, mainly due to getting fat and being extremly sedentary. Now the boy is 18 months old, I have lost almost 4 stone, I swim, cycle, run and have gotten bang into road cycling over the last 6 months. Explain to the better half that if you don't cycle you will get fat, not be able to chase after little legs when he starts to walk, die sooner and not be a very good example in later life. I positively encouraged my wife to excerise after birth (I prefer skinny athletic women) this then allowed me to do what I wanted. Life is all about give and take and surely riding a bike is better than smoking, drinking and eating crap.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    It's such an incredible experience that you will find yourself in absolute awe of course. Was for us anyway. Congrats to your both.

Found this when our daughter was born, time will be limited believe me! Make the most of your rides before the birth, and once born, your son will take up a lot of time during the day, which is when you're probably at work, but equally will keep you up at night, certainly during the first year anyway.