Fixed/single HELP!

2»

Comments

• GarethPJ
    GarethPJ Posts: 295
    dreamlx10 wrote:
    If you don't like it here go elsewhere[/quote

Why should I ? I am pointing out mistakes , what's wrong with that ? Or are you from the everyone's a winner there are no losers society ? The one that has got us into the mess we are in now !!

Pointing out mistakes?

I don't suppose "Fixie" was a mistake. I think it was intentional. However if you want pedantry consider this; You seem to like the term "a Fixed". Firstly, it does not deserve a capital letter and secondly fixed is not a noun so it can't be a fixed. A fixed wheel bicycle perhaps, but not a fixed.

There is a law that any post on an internet forum criticising the language of another post shall contain more errors, both spelling and grammatical, than the original post. Which is presumably why you keep your posts so short.

I do have a slight excuse for my errors. Being an arthritic dyslexic I can't type and when I do make typing errors I sometimes fail to spot them.

I bet you're a barrel of laughs in conversation. Do you stop everybody to point out every gramatical error they make in their speech?
  • You seem to like the term "a Fixed". Firstly, it does not deserve a capital letter and secondly fixed is not a noun so it can't be a fixed. A fixed wheel bicycle perhaps, but not a fixed. [/quote

Who's being pedantic now ?

Which is presumably why you keep your posts so short.

No ! It's because I go out and ride my bike and don't waste time on forums for kid on cyclists !!
  • You were taking the p*ss and not in a nice manner.

Boo hoo :(
  • GarethPJ
    dreamlx10 wrote:
    You seem to like the term "a Fixed". Firstly, it does not deserve a capital letter and secondly fixed is not a noun so it can't be a fixed. A fixed wheel bicycle perhaps, but not a fixed.

Who's being pedantic now ?

Which was rather my point. Don't be pedantic unless you are prepared to have others point out the weakness of your own argument. It was hardly subtle, but clearly too subtle for you to spot.
    Which is presumably why you keep your posts so short.

No ! It's because I go out and ride my bike and don't waste time on forums for kid on cyclists !!

If that is the case then why does it appear that you are the most prolific poster on this thread?
  • Johnny G
    Johnny G Posts: 348
    We clearly have a troll here Gareth, so best to ignore it.

In response to Chaley's original post, after a couple of rides on the Langster I can highly recommend it. It's well-made and good value. I picked up last year's model for £330 from the Specialized concept store in Birmingham, so would be worth looking at their website to see if they have any more deals left. Early days with it yet though, so I'll stick another post on after a full winter's riding.
  • GarethPJ
    Johnny G wrote:
    We clearly have a troll here Gareth, so best to ignore it.

In response to Chaley's original post, after a couple of rides on the Langster I can highly recommend it. It's well-made and good value. I picked up last year's model for £330 from the Specialized concept store in Birmingham, so would be worth looking at their website to see if they have any more deals left. Early days with it yet though, so I'll stick another post on after a full winter's riding.

Got to agree I loved my Langster (the old 05 model) don't know why I ever sold it.
  • Dickie
    Dickie Posts: 1,489
    Gareth, I bet his post count isn't the only thing he needs to inflate :shock:
  • Gareth, I bet his post count isn't the only thing he needs to inflate

What are you, an extra from a carry on film ?
  • Dickie
    What is the point..
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    None, Rob, none at all.
    From a simple rather gently mocking dislike for the term "fixie", I fear I have now come to embrace an admittedly irrational loathing for the word.
    Indeed, if I can find my stencil set I think I shall emblazon all my FIXEDS with the phrase "If you think this is a fixie, then may I politely suggest that you emigrate to wherever the origin of that word might be?" Small print, obviously.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • Dickie
    Dave, I don't like the term "fixie" either, same as Im not keen on the courier chopped bar look, garish colours, pads and spoke cards. So you are not alone. Christ! Its the old git section :D
  • At last some sense on this subject ! If I was being pedantic or annoying then it is because the term "Fixie" is very annoying. We have our own term and it should be used "Fixed". We are fighting a losing battle against our own language, and when you stand up for it you get attacked. It's not "trick or treat" either !!
  • Johnny G
    Stating your preference is fine. It's the tone of your posts that has caused the offence.
  • Stating your preference is fine.

It's not a preference ! The word in this country is "FIXED" end of story. Thers is no preference involved, use the right terminology and people won't get annyed.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    I hate the expression "annyed". :D
    Half man, Half bike
  • Dickie
    Yes me too. Flagged.
  • Johnny G
    "Annoyed"?

"Apoplectic" would be more like it.

Dearie me!
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,313
    dreamlx10 wrote:
    It's not a preference ! The word in this country is "FIXED" end of story. Thers is no preference involved, use the right terminology and people won't get annyed.
    Who decides this exactly? It's not like the UK has an equivalent of the Acadamie Francaise is it?

Or have you decided it's your role?
  • GarethPJ
    The correct term would actual be something like "fixed wheel transmission bicycle". Always assuming we don't prefer velocipede to bicycle, or would it be better termed a safety bicycle?

Unortunately for sad pedants the English language evolves. Which is just as well because our world does too. It is ridiculous and frankly pathetic to try to fix (ahem) language the way you prefer it. It goes beyond belief that someone should try to impose their own preferred nomenclature where there is no relevant globally recognized or documented definition of the words concerned.

People need to realize that all words were invented. Are we really to believe that the language police tried to prevent every newly coined word from entering the language? Probably not, the irritating and pointless linguistic pedant seems largely to be an invention of the 19th century, although in those days they were mostly academics.

Don't listen to those who try to freeze language at a point in time to suit themselves. Had they ever had any significant influence on our language we would still be at the stage of saying "URGH!" and pointing.

By the way there is no definition of the word "fixed" in my copy of the OED that has anything to do with bikes.

NB An inability to discern irony or indeed sarcasm precludes your replying to this post.
  • My understanding is it's fixed. A fixie is the guy or gal that rides the thing.
  • GarethPJ
    My understanding is that there are no rules and you can call it any damn thing you want.

I for one have certainly never heard the term fixie applied to a cyclist.

Then again round here we tend to call anything with two wheels and pedals or an engine a bike. But then we don't have elitism out here in the sticks. Just a bald bloke with a banjo.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    fixie fixie fixie FIXIE !!!!!!

yaah boo sucks !!!!

:roll:
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    dreamlx10 wrote:
    At last some sense on this subject ! If I was being pedantic or annoying then it is because the term "Fixie" is very annoying. We have our own term and it should be used "Fixed". We are fighting a losing battle against our own language, and when you stand up for it you get attacked. It's not "trick or treat" either !!

Rubbish - fixed/ fixie - doesnt make a blind bit of difference. Get over yourself.

My winter bike is Trixie - the fixie. :twisted:
  • My winter bike is Trixie - the fixie.

What can be said about that ? Give them enough rope !!
  • GarethPJ
    dreamlx10 wrote:

What can be said about that ? Give them enough rope !!

Almost every post you make you supply your own rope.
  • All right, ladies, that's enough handbags.

Agree to differ, use the term you prefer in your own postings and leave alone those who prefer the other usage.

I don't recall us ever appointing anyone as language police round here and we're certainly not going to do so.

This is an international forum even if it is largely full of Brits. Tolerance for a range of use of language is merely courteous.
    John Stevenson
  • chaley
    chaley Posts: 100
    Well that was nice!
    Anyway, thank you for the advice, I now have a langster in the straight silver, crank bros eggbeaters and a pair of pearl iz r4s all for £375 give or take with the c2w deal, so not too bad. I've had them for just over 2 weeks now and have done about 150 happy miles to and from work and a couple of short trips out. I went straight to fixed and the beaters and have not looked back. So far I have only ridden the escalator of doom once and I couldn't unclip quick enough after nearly being hit by a car, it must of looked funny me being nearly hit by a Saab and then falling over a second or so later, people must of thought I was a pro footballer :oops:
    Chaley
    2009 langster

Blasphemy is the only victimless crime