Fixed/single HELP!

chaley
chaley Posts: 100
edited December 2008 in Road general
This is my first post so bare with me.
I'm after a fixed/single and am having to get it for halford as part of the ride to work deal (HR tell you where to shop!) I ride a 10 year old trek 8000 mtb with solid forks, drops and slicks. I've had it in one gear for 2 months now to get a feel for it and now it's time to step up!
I've got a max of £550 srp to spend thats to inc a pair to clips and new shoes
What are my options?
I've seen the langster, a few on the way to work each day, the paddy wagon, the genesis flyer, and the gaint,
Any thoughts and comments would help a lot,
Thanks
Chaley
2009 langster

Blasphemy is the only victimless crime

Comments

• I have the new 09 langster in chrome with matching rims. Greeat bike for the cash. Leaves you £100 for pedals and shoes!
  • GaryGkn
    GaryGkn Posts: 1,199
    The Lemond Filmore looks good if you like traditional.
  • As far as I'm aware Halfords don't stock any single speed bikes as standard, but they do Kona and Kona do the Paddy Wagon, which is an excelent choice. A good ride and tough as old boots. The list price is £450 which will leave you with money for shoes and pedals.

I would also recommend mud guards for commuting. Be aware that there are fixies on the market that won't take proper guards so you're limitted on those bikes to crappy race blades. OK for the occasional wet ride, but not up to the rigours of the daily commute.

However there've been a few discussions on the Commuting forum about getting a bike from Halfords on the ride to work scheme. It seems that your choice isn't so limitted as you may think. Firstly Halfords are, I'm told, happy to order bikes that they don't usually stock. Secondly there is, apparently, a way of getting something from your LBS through Halfords, not sure exactly how this works, as far as I can tell your LBS invoices Halfords who then sort out the R2W paperwork. It may be worth searching the commuting forum on the subject. Essentially though you have to hope that the manager of your local Halfords is amenable.
    "Swearing, it turns out, is big and clever" - Jarvis Cocker
  • chaley
    Thank you so far,
    Had a quick look in the LBS today and they had a chrome langster in, it does look pretty good and the price is right, but not too sure as an everyday dog. The lemond looks a bit more like a real world bike, as does the kona and the felt dispatch looks like it could take a knock or 2. Choices choices!!
    Rang halfords and they said they can get hold of all the above for sure, except the lemond which they'd have to look into.
    As for guards I've never had them so I don't think I'll miss them :)
    I'll take a look in commuting, thanks
    Chaley
    2009 langster

• I love my 07 Langster. It's hit the 6000mile mark, and has cost me next to nothing in that time, on which grounds, I'd fully recommend one. The polished one is lovely looking, and would make a lovely fixie, with some track or flat bars. I think it would be a very flash commuter bike. I'd still be tempted... As your in Norwich, try Streetlifecycles. They can do R2W and should be able to get hold of other Langsters.
    p.s. If you can get an 07 Langster they are good cos they come in dog poo brown, which doesn't show up dirt anywhere. I think you can still get them new on Ebay, but not sure how it'd work with R2W thing.
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • p.s. If you can get an 07 Langster they are good cos they come in dog poo brown, which doesn't show up dirt anywhere. I think you can still get them new on Ebay, but not sure how it'd work with R2W thing.

Thats a good point???

Ill keep my chrome one with pro plt bars and stem retaped in specialized white shock damping tape and pro vibe mono carbon seat post thankyou!
  • chaley
    Cheers, salsa just popped into streetlife again, they must be getting bored with me :oops: Had a quick spin on their chrome langster, Oh my Elvis it flys, took grapes hill in it's stride! :twisted: They're getting in a kona paddy next week so I'm going to give that a go. I think it's going to be between those 2, as most others I've seen are ether a bit clunky or tooo much payola.
    Chaley
    2009 langster

• paddy last year was a bit clunky! I have to agree i love my langster. For the cash its unbeatable although i nearly puked when i saw this sexy mofo! (too late she says a fifth bike is a complete no)
    http://www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk/aca ... resso.html
  • chaley
    Brown, I hate you, I just made a sex wee :oops:
    If I cut a couple of inchs off my legs and sell a kidney that would be spot on :cry:
    Chaley
    2009 langster

• :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • How about the Specialized Tricross single?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • hot rod
    hot rod Posts: 412
    hey cha
    nice to see the 32 outa the garage :mrgreen:
    made ya mind up what bike yet
  • chaley
    Cheers all,
    looks like it's going to be the langster, if I can put up with all the hate that they seem to get.
    Not the best looking year for them, but looks like a lot of bike for the cash, and I can always brake out the spray gun :twisted:
    Hot Rod, is that you Davey Baby? by the Avatar I'm guessing it is :lol: When I've finished fitting the bathroom (close now :D ) I may get some work done on it!
    Chaley
    2009 langster

• meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Other than lack of clearance for 'grds, which you say you don't want, my vote would be for the Langster.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    Am I too late to vote? :D

My fixie is an On-One Pompino, which is under your budget and I think can be obtained under the cycle to work scheme. It has mudguard clearance, rack mounts and is a very pretty pale blue.
  • toshmund
    toshmund Posts: 390
    Notice with the new release today, the Boardman range includes a fixed gear/singlespeed. Looks nice in the photo, along with the bonus...you know the gears will not be set up wrong :lol: boom boom
  • so bare with me

What until you learn to speak english you mean ?
  • My fixie is an On-One Pompino

Your "Fixie" will actually be a "Fixed" then !!
  • and would make a lovely fixie

It might even make a lovely "Fixed" !!
  • Shame that there are some insufferable, pompous little pedants attempting to lower the tone, isn't it ? :roll:
  • IIRC you can no longer get on-one /planet-s through halfords for C2W.

I'd say the tricross, seen a couple in the flesh and they're gorgeous, bit softer with the zertz too.

Don't discount the fuji bikes either, the league looks awesome, but i'm not sure it is available yet.
  • Shame that there are some insufferable, pompous little pedants attempting to lower the tone, isn't it ?

Less of the "little" if you don't mind. What is wrong with pedantry anyway ? If you want to live in the US then go, until then don't lower the tone with their language.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Have to say that term "fixie" makes me shudder slightly. By analogy with road (race) bikes I suppose a "fixie" might be a person who rides a "fixed" - but not the BIKE!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • Dickie
    Dickie Posts: 1,489
    "Shame that there are some insufferable, pompous little pedants attempting to lower the tone, isn't it ?"

Yes.

"Less of the "little" if you don't mind. What is wrong with pedantry anyway ? If you want to live in the US then go, until then don't lower the tone with their language."

If you don't like it here go elsewhere and take your superiority complex with you. You are meant to help/inform people here, not take the p*ss
  • If you don't like it here go elsewhere[/quote

Why should I ? I am pointing out mistakes , what's wrong with that ? Or are you from the everyone's a winner there are no losers society ? The one that has got us into the mess we are in now !!
  • Johnny G
    Johnny G Posts: 348
    dreamlx10 wrote:
    I am pointing out mistakes !!
    Like English with a small "e", for instance?
    dreamlx10 wrote:
    ...what's wrong with that ?
    The tone, perhaps?

I prefer "Fixed" myself, but I hope everyone will now use the term "Fixie", purely because it annoys pedants! :twisted:
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    Fuji track??? apparently you can get them for £300 if you shop around....
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Like English with a small "e", for instance? [/quote

It's all it deserves really !
  • I prefer "Fixed" myself, but I hope everyone will now use the term "Fixie", purely because it annoys pedants

So you will cut off your nose to spite your face ?
  • Dickie
    Dickie Posts: 1,489
    "Why should I ? I am pointing out mistakes , what's wrong with that ? Or are you from the everyone's a winner there are no losers society ? The one that has got us into the mess we are in now !!"

You were taking the p*ss and not in a nice manner.

We all have different abilities, I might think your bike building skills were sh*te or your component choice hidious. I would not say so because it is rude and not helpful. What is the point of this forum, if all you are going to do is pick on trivial mistakes or peoples weak points.

The man was asking for our help not your critique. Are you that arrogant you can't see you were somewhat abrasive?