Its Astana!

2»

Comments

• donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Meds1962 wrote:
    Seems short sighted of Astana to jeopardise their contract with best current stage race rider to allow LA into the fold for what could be just a single season. Contador has intimated he won't play second fiddle. Either way it will be a better Tour if they ride for different teams otherwise it could become just a predicable procession.

I disagree. Remember for a sponsor, what's the most important thing? It's not winning, it's getting eyeballs on your brand, advertising your brand. Who's going to have more newspapers mentioning Astana, more videos showing their team/logo, more pictures with Astana in it? Lance.
  • colint
    colint Posts: 1,707
    Can't see bertie staying if it's true. For Bruyneel to risk losing bertie for the sake of one more season with Lance I think this must be JB's last season as a DS.

Don't know what shape LA's in but if he can hang on in the mountains and make up time in the TT he could actually win it, which would be something achievement at 38 !
    Planet X N2A
    Trek Cobia 29er
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,128
    I wondered about that, is he not going to be under Damsgaard's monitoring like everyone else in the team?
    There is mention of "global anti-doping expert Don Catlin to oversee his testing program". Who ever he might be :?
    Don Catlin is an extermely well respected anti-doping expert who has a long track record of fighting doping in sport. Most famously he developed a test for 'the Clear' the steroid developed by Balco that Dwayne Chambers, amongst many, many others used and was caught for.

Armstrong may be many things but he is very shrewd in his pick here (although as always, I'd like to see some kind of statement from Catlin about what exactly he is going to do).
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    donrhummy wrote:
    I disagree. Remember for a sponsor, what's the most important thing? It's not winning, it's getting eyeballs on your brand, advertising your brand. Who's going to have more newspapers mentioning Astana, more videos showing their team/logo, more pictures with Astana in it? Lance.
    Yes, but the Ego Trip de France will be over in nine months' time, if they lose Contador to another team, they'll be lucky to get a podium finish with the likes of Schleck, Gerdeman, Menchov, Evans and others out there during the coming years.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    It has been confirmed it is Astana by the way. Lets now wait for the press release from Contador that will say something about him leaving.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    Now I really believe that Bono is a pure w(a)nker.... as hard as that is to say for a once huge u2 fan :evil:

I hope Lance crashes and breaks his front teeth coming down the start ramp in Monaco (and i dont mean his chainring)
    www.dotcycling.com
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    dennisn wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    alanmcn1 wrote:
    To make my feelings clear on the arsehole, I think more people should

Why don't we talk about Andy schleck, Gesink, Kreuziger Nibali, Cavendish, instead of some washed up old yank who belongs in the past

aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhh

Just answer me this one question please.
    Why do you let things like this seemingly eat at you?
    And I'm not trying to be a smart *ss. I'd really like to know why all this bothers you so much. :? :?

Dennis Noward

Why did it bother you so much when I suggested that Ricco was doped up during the Giro? I 'm still waiting for an apology for your irate and somewhat abusive post.

Still haven't answered my question. As for your "why did it bother me so much....?". For the simple reason that you seem to think you can say whatever you want about any
    rider(call them a doper) and yet the moment someone suggests that you might be an idiot
    (so tot speak) you don't understand how someone could say that and feel you have to go on the defensive. You can't possibly know anywhere near what you think you know.
    How about you apologizing to Ricco for saying he was doped up(as if you knew). No,
    no sorry from me. If you can write in and "slander" people, so can I. Childish, yes, for
    both of us.

Dennis Noward
    Dennis, I really think you ought to read things properly before mouthing off. You seem to be mixing people up. Is the froth from your mouth blurring the screen?
    Ricco is a doper btw. I said that I suspected him of doping in the Giro, and you were somewhat abusive. As it turns out, I was correct, and the fact that he managed to sprint uphill for 9k and not be breathing heavily crossing the line was indeed indicative of cheating, just as I suggested. I have never been personally abusive to anyone on here. You seem to sully the forum with personal abuse every other post. Cyclists have put themselves in the firing line, and can't blame people for taking potshots (I am sure the republican in you will appreciate the metaphor)

You called him a "doper" when you didn't know anything about him .You assumed
    he was doping and you said it to the whole world(so to speak). How is that any different
    than me calling you something. I don't know you, so why shouldn't I call you a doper or
    an idiot? After all it's only a blog and you and I are entitled to our opinions, right? So your
    opinion of Ricco is - DOPER. And my opinion of you is - not quite that bad. What's the big deal?? You can call others what you please but I am not allowed to do the same? Oh,
    I'm sorry. I can do it to anyone but you.

Dennis Noward
  • leguape
    leguape Posts: 986
    andyp wrote:
    I wondered about that, is he not going to be under Damsgaard's monitoring like everyone else in the team?
    There is mention of "global anti-doping expert Don Catlin to oversee his testing program". Who ever he might be :?
    Don Catlin is an extermely well respected anti-doping expert who has a long track record of fighting doping in sport. Most famously he developed a test for 'the Clear' the steroid developed by Balco that Dwayne Chambers, amongst many, many others used and was caught for.

Armstrong may be many things but he is very shrewd in his pick here (although as always, I'd like to see some kind of statement from Catlin about what exactly he is going to do).

It's a great pick isn't it? To have Caitlin doing his thing on the whole "open and transparent" gig is very smart. The guy who busted Balco means much more to his home audience (and has a degree of profile Damsguard doesn't). Reckon he'll have the Damsguard stuff as well as a team rider?
  • dennisn
    edited September 2008
    Here's a concept that hasn't been brought up yet(I think). What if Lance just wants to race bicycles again. He misses it. Hell, I'm almost 60 and I kind of miss it. Not that I was much of a competitive threat but I had a great time some years back. If only at the club and local / regional level. I stopped for quite a few years to help organize and run the club races and even had a great time doing that. Our club does have a 55 and up
    category and I'm thinking maybe next year, who can say. Anyway bike racing, if it's
    nothing else, is loads of fun. So why can't Lance have some fun in life? Maybe people
    are making way too much of this "comeback" and what the "implications" are and what
    his "motives" are and, of course, his "doping". Maybe he doesn't really have any other motive but to get back into the heat of competition. And why shouldn't he, if he wants to. It's still a free world out there(well, most places) and just like you and I, who's going to tell him(or you and I) that he, or we, can't. It's bike racing and to quote one of our clubs best racers "It's a hoot".

Dennis Noward
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    emadden wrote:
    Now I really believe that Bono is a pure w(a)nker.... as hard as that is to say for a once huge u2 fan :evil:

I hope Lance crashes and breaks his front teeth coming down the start ramp in Monaco (and i dont mean his chainring)

You need to getta sense of perspective mate.

cheers
    MG
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    Quote from emadden

hope Lance crashes and breaks his front teeth coming down the start ramp in Monaco (and i dont mean his chainring)

...do you really hope this? Has it ever happened to you? Bit of a vicious wish isn't it?
    I had all my front teeth smashed out in a cycling crash...it really is'nt very pleasent...

...if I was a new comer to cycle racing and I read all this boggle eyed venom and bile written in the various threads about Lance Armstrong I would go and find another sport...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Agreed.

If my child talked like that he'd be in trouble. Armstrong really does seem to bring out the haters doesnt he ?
  • dennisn
    emadden wrote:

Maybe I'm not all that up on things but what do Bono and Lance have to do with each other?
    Pretty wild comments by the way. I see one of three things here. You've forgtten to take your medication, you're extremely jealous of Lance(and maybe even Bono), or you're
    just trolling for responces. I'm going to go with number two.

Dennis Noward
  • dennisn
    emadden wrote:

Saw your picture on that website you had listed and can understand why you were
    suffering. Can you say "fatty"?

Dennis Noward
  • cougie wrote:
    Agreed.

If my child talked like that he'd be in trouble. Armstrong really does seem to bring out the haters doesnt he ?

I don't think he opitimises cyclists in general. I have little time for LA but wishing physical violence is idle and a waste of time IMHO :)
    'How can an opinion be bullsh1t?' High Fidelity
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    dennisn wrote:
    emadden wrote:

Saw your picture on that website you had listed and can understand why you were
    suffering. Can you say "fatty"?

Dennis Noward

hehe was thinking the same thing myself..............who ate all the pies ........who ate all the pies.........you f..........well you know how it goes :-)

cheers
    MG
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • volvine
    volvine Posts: 409
    so the guy has a big ego (i haven't witnessed it btw) Muhammad Ali had a big ego and everyone hate's him don't they :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    get over it the guy was/maybee still the best