Its Astana!

LangerDan
LangerDan Posts: 6,132
edited September 2008 in Pro race
On Wednesday morning Lance has the privilege to announce his comeback at the Clinton Global Initiative. Lance will be joined on stage by President Clinton and Mayor Bloomberg to make the announcement. Lance will rollout the LAF's global cancer platform and their commitment to combat the disease that will claim 8 million lives this year.

Lance will also announce that he will be reunited with Johan Bruyneel and join the Astana Cycling team. His first race in the comeback will be the Tour of Australia with the season ending goal of the Tour de France. More races will be announced in the coming weeks. In addition Lance will be announcing the creation of an under 23 team sponsored by Trek that will include young cycling star Taylor Phinney.

Lance has also brought in global anti-doping expert Don Catlin to oversee his testing program.
'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'

Comments

• Is this just your opinion or is there a source?
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/cycling/ ... ment_N.htm
    LAS VEGAS — Lance Armstrong will announce today that his professional cycling comeback will be as a member of the Astana team headed by former U.S. Postal/Discovery team director Johan Bruyneel.

The team's first race will be the Tour Down Under in Australia January 20-25, according to email messages sent by Armstrong to several supporters Tuesday night that were shown to USA TODAY.

His season-ending goal will be to compete in the Tour de France beginning in Monaco on July 4. Additional races will be announced soon, the email message said.

To promote his worldwide cancer crusade, Armstrong will also create a new team for young riders (23 and under) sponsored by Trek Bicycles and led by 18-year-old Taylor Phinney, a 2008 Olympian and son of 1984 Olympic medalists Davis Phinney and Connie Carpenter-Phinney.

He also will announce that renowned sports doping expert Don Catlin will head his testing program.

Here is part of the email, sent on behalf of Armstrong by spokesman Mark Higgins:

Good evening

As valued friends and partners of Lance, the LAF and CSE I wanted to share a few announcements that we will make public tomorrow morning.

On Wednesday morning Lance has the privilege to announce his comeback at the Clinton Global Initiative. Lance will be joined on stage by President Clinton and Mayor Bloomberg to make the announcement. Lance will rollout the LAF's global cancer platform and their commitment to combat the disease that will claim 8 million lives this year.

Lance will also announce that he will be reunited with Johan Bruyneel and join the Astana Cycling team. His first race in the comeback will be the Tour of Australia with the season ending goal of the Tour de France. More races will be announced in the coming weeks. In addition Lance will be announcing the creation of an under 23 team sponsored by Trek that will include young cycling star Taylor Phinney.

Lance has also brought in global anti-doping expert Don Catlin to oversee his testing program.

Catlin and Phinney will be on hand at the CGI press conference. The group will travel to Las Vegas to do a press conference on Thursday morning from Interbike.

erm led by 18-year-old Taylor Phinney i wonder what Vaughters thinks about this? isnt Phinney a rider for slipstreams U23 team ?
  • It'll be a great shame if Contador stays with Astana. I'm not really a fan of his but I was looking forward to him being in the TDF.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Maybe Vaughters will finally tell all he knows - and then all the fan boys can shout 'sour grapes' again :roll:
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    "On Wednesday Armstrong will announce his decision to join our team," said Kazakhstan's cycling federation deputy president Nikolai Proskurin.

Proskurin also said that Armstrong would share the leadership in the team with the current leader, Spaniard Alberto Contador, the 2007 Tour de France winner who has won the Tour of Spain and Giro d'Italia this season.

"Currently there's certain tension in the team but I hope we are capable of keeping the situation under control," Proskurin said.

"Armstrong will not be the only star, he will be one of the team's leaders."
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • Hmmm, if Armstrong can win the TdF but without beating Contador that's going to be a slightly hollow victory - fantastic achievement but not quite as fantastic as winning it and beating the man most of us have down as the favourite. I'd rather have seen him come back and do it for a less powerful team - and personally I think a narrow failure fighting against the odds would have added more to his reputation as a rider than a victory where he's got every possible advantage on his side. Just my take on it.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Leipheimer must be positively ecstatic - he signs for Astana as team leader to be usurped by Bertie and then find himself in third fiddle now that his old mucker turns up. Given that he left Postal for greater ambitions, there's probably a story to tell somewhere.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Seems short sighted of Astana to jeopardise their contract with best current stage race rider to allow LA into the fold for what could be just a single season. Contador has intimated he won't play second fiddle. Either way it will be a better Tour if they ride for different teams otherwise it could become just a predicable procession.
    O na bawn i fel LA
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    He's a caution isn't he, that Lance Armstrong? Says he wants to restore his reputation so signs for a team that got excluded from the Tour for dirty doings and goes back to working with the DS and medical team with whom he achieved his tainted victories. And that's not even mentioning the extremely poor global profile that the Kazakh Government enjoys. For a rider who always was 'clean' and is back to prove it - with a slice of 'raising cancer awareness' (whatever that means) on the side - these seem like strange decisions. Surely a clean sheet would have been best?

But then the offers hardly came rolling in, did they? Even when he announced he'd ride for free. Yet Contador, for whom some lucky team is likely to have to pay millions, has offers rolling in - funny how that happens...

Personally, I hope the latter does leave and provides ample competition for the Texan thus making it all about the bike and letting the racing - which is surely the most important thing, not Lance Armstrong and his monstrous ego - do the talking.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Seems a bizarre situation. I'd never have thought he would go to Astana.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    By contrast, I always thought he would go to Astana.
  • I couldnt give a flying F***

Mans an arsehole
    Robert Millar for knighthood
  • cougie
    So why bother posting on a thread ? How odd :?:

Cant see how signing for Astana goes with his avowed intention to raise the profile of his Livestrong organisation.

I'm sure it will raise Astanas profile ten-fold though. I bet most Americans thought Kazakhstan was a made up country.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    micron wrote:
    ..... and letting the racing - which is surely the most important thing, not Lance Armstrong and his monstrous ego - do the talking.

.....and you know all about this "monstrous ego" because you're a close friend or have ridden on the same team with him or because you read it somewhere or because you
    "just know". Imagine that, Lance might have a few human faults. Unlike yourself, who
    has a halo over his head. Maybe that's a bit much. How about, "what does it matter to you
    personally if he does have a big ego"? Come on now, what does it matter? What effect does his big ego(if he has one) have on your life and why? Bet you can't or won't answer that one.

Dennis Noward
  • To make my feelings clear on the arsehole, I think more people should

Why don't we talk about Andy schleck, Gesink, Kreuziger Nibali, Cavendish, instead of some washed up old yank who belongs in the past

aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhh
    Robert Millar for knighthood
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    If you feel so inclined, you can watch the press conference live on t'interweb @ 12 noon (Eastern)

http://www.kaisernetwork.org/health_cas ... il&hc=3003

(I hope young Phinney isn't going to be paraded around like a hostage. I wonder if Dave Millar warned him about the dangers of "older riders")
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • cougie
    Cos there isnt any breaking news about those guys Alan ??

I'm not his biggest fan by any means and he doesnt come across well if you read his own books - but its amazing the venom and bile directed at him. Its almost like cycling fans are turning into footy fans. What next - supporting just one team and booing the rest ?
  • dennisn
    alanmcn1 wrote:
    To make my feelings clear on the arsehole, I think more people should

Why don't we talk about Andy schleck, Gesink, Kreuziger Nibali, Cavendish, instead of some washed up old yank who belongs in the past

Just answer me this one question please.
    Why do you let things like this seemingly eat at you?
    And I'm not trying to be a smart *ss. I'd really like to know why all this bothers you so much. :? :?

Dennis Noward
  • pat1cp wrote:

Oh, how I laughed :lol: :shock:

Does anyone really believe that Mr Armstrong's shy, retiring and self depricating personality won't come to the surface? :wink:
    'How can an opinion be bullsh1t?' High Fidelity
  • dennisn wrote:
    alanmcn1 wrote:

And I'm not trying to be a smart *ss. I'd really like to know why all this bothers you so much. :? :?

Dennis Noward

Why did it bother you so much when I suggested that Ricco was doped up during the Giro? I 'm still waiting for an apology for your irate and somewhat abusive post.
    Dan
  • This is great. I hope the TdF with Lance and Contador is as entertaining as this thread. If so we are on for a cracker.
  • Oooooohhh! Eeeeerrrr! What a suprise! :roll:
    So, it's all about LAF and cancer awareness, huh? :oops:
    You were all told he was coming back and that he'd be joining
    "Team America".
    Notice he got his medical programme sorted, before he got his contract sorted.
    No. Its really is all about the ego and an extra-special, undetectable, anti-aging cream. :wink:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Key question then, do we think he will win Le Tour?
  • Oooooohhh! Eeeeerrrr! What a suprise! :roll:
    So, it's all about LAF and cancer awareness, huh? :oops:
    You were all told he was coming back and that he'd be joining
    "Team America".
    Notice he got his medical programme sorted, before he got his contract sorted.
    No. Its really is all about the ego and an extra-special, undetectable, anti-aging cream. :wink:

I wondered about that, is he not going to be under Damsgaard's monitoring like everyone else in the team?
    There is mention of "global anti-doping expert Don Catlin to oversee his testing program". Who ever he might be :?
  • Key question then, do we think he will win Le Tour?

I wouldn't put it past the jammy fat Texan fuc8er!! :D
    'How can an opinion be bullsh1t?' High Fidelity
  • dennisn
    dennisn wrote:
    alanmcn1 wrote:

Dennis Noward

Why did it bother you so much when I suggested that Ricco was doped up during the Giro? I 'm still waiting for an apology for your irate and somewhat abusive post.

Still haven't answered my question. As for your "why did it bother me so much....?". For the simple reason that you seem to think you can say whatever you want about any
    rider(call them a doper) and yet the moment someone suggests that you might be an idiot
    (so tot speak) you don't understand how someone could say that and feel you have to go on the defensive. You can't possibly know anywhere near what you think you know.
    How about you apologizing to Ricco for saying he was doped up(as if you knew). No,
    no sorry from me. If you can write in and "slander" people, so can I. Childish, yes, for
    both of us.

Dennis Noward
  • Armstrong-Contador on the same team.
    Ha.
    Reminds me of Hinault-Lemond 1986.
    Fireworks show waiting to happen.

Hope Contador doesn't go on any hunting trips this winter.
  • dennisn wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    alanmcn1 wrote:

Dennis Noward

Still haven't answered my question. As for your "why did it bother me so much....?". For the simple reason that you seem to think you can say whatever you want about any
    rider(call them a doper) and yet the moment someone suggests that you might be an idiot
    (so tot speak) you don't understand how someone could say that and feel you have to go on the defensive. You can't possibly know anywhere near what you think you know.
    How about you apologizing to Ricco for saying he was doped up(as if you knew). No,
    no sorry from me. If you can write in and "slander" people, so can I. Childish, yes, for
    both of us.

Dennis Noward
    Dennis, I really think you ought to read things properly before mouthing off. You seem to be mixing people up. Is the froth from your mouth blurring the screen?
    Ricco is a doper btw. I said that I suspected him of doping in the Giro, and you were somewhat abusive. As it turns out, I was correct, and the fact that he managed to sprint uphill for 9k and not be breathing heavily crossing the line was indeed indicative of cheating, just as I suggested. I have never been personally abusive to anyone on here. You seem to sully the forum with personal abuse every other post. Cyclists have put themselves in the firing line, and can't blame people for taking potshots (I am sure the republican in you will appreciate the metaphor)
    Dan
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    pat1cp wrote:
    "On Wednesday Armstrong will announce his decision to join our team," said Kazakhstan's cycling federation deputy president Nikolai Proskurin.

Proskurin also said that Armstrong would share the leadership in the team with the current leader, Spaniard Alberto Contador, the 2007 Tour de France winner who has won the Tour of Spain and Giro d'Italia this season.

"Currently there's certain tension in the team but I hope we are capable of keeping the situation under control," Proskurin said.

LOL, yeah good luck with that Astana. :roll: :D