How do I get my girlfriend into cycling?

Comments

• Greg T wrote:
    heavymtb wrote:

My GF's Mum lives in Edinburgh, I live in London.......

Other wise you're a genius!!!!

Sounds like you are the genius....

Does her Dad own a pub?

No he's a retired Marine....... Not so clever now am I!!!! :lol:
    The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart ~Iris Murdoch

Mama always said I was SPECIALIZED ;-)
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Wow so many suggestions. Thanks for the offer of lending me the spare bikes guys, though I suspect you just want to see a picture of her... I would but she would kill me.

Corriander/Greg T sorry.... though if Corriander allows me to draft her while she wears lycra on a Bianchi C2C Via Nirone with Veloce groupset... who knows....

I might just try the bike for another woman approach, it mostly worked with comics, yes comics, she hated those to and is another hobby of mine. She hated the very idea of a comic right up until I told her about my thing for the new Supergirl costume and introduced her to comic book girl who went to a fancy dress party as Supergirl...

Supergirl on a Bianchi, oh man, I need a me moment.....

Meh, probably just buy her a bike...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • In answer to the original question, I'm reminded of the (ahem) joke about the two nuns riding bikes down a cobbled street ...
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • DonDaddyD
    She's AGREED!!!!

YAY! After months of me talking about Donovan (my SCR 3), my journey's to work (like the time I wrote 29+mph when the world went blurry and silent), Bianchi's and my unending want for a carbon fibre bike. I think the clincher was telling her about this thread! SO thank you for all the posts.

She has agreed to buy a bike (I'll probably help out or buy it myself) as long as its a comfy hybrid and has a basket in the front - what is it with girls, bikes and baskets.

I also had to agree to be patient, not ride off leaving her, complain that shes going too slow or doing something wrong and not insist she rides on the road (keeping it to parks and quiet cycle lanes).

Of course I won't take her out on the road until she is ready!!!

:D
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Do we get the bum pic now then?
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    biondino wrote:
    Do we get the bum pic now then?

I think that might deserve a thread all of its own. We have "Commuting Bike Pics" after all...
    Today is a good day to ride
  • biondino
    Ah well. Is she joining the forum, DDD?
  • DonDaddyD
    biondino wrote:
    Ah well. Is she joining the forum, DDD?

No, she isn't ready for that. But if she ever decides to buy me a carbonfibre bike I'll send her your way so that you can reccommend the Cayo Expert!

And NO certianly no pics!
    Food Chain number = 4

• Parkey
    Parkey Posts: 303
    If you want a fun day out cycling with hired bikes I can recommend the High Peak trail, or the Tissington Trail, in Derbyshire. I'm sure there are similar such trails, with bike hire available, all over the country.

My girlfriend decided she wanted to buy a road bike within about 5 minuts when we hired a couple of Evans Cycles' demo bikes at one of their "ride it!" events, but that involves cycling on the road and a road bike is a bit fun to balance on at first if your cycling skills are a bit rusty.
    "A recent study has found that, at the current rate of usage, the word 'sustainable' will be worn out by the year 2015"
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    what is it with girls, bikes and baskets.
    Buy her some pink tassles for the end of the handlebars, and a Little Mermaid bell. That's what my wife wanted when we were viewing bikes a couple of months back ... :?

Stuart
  • biondino
    duncedunce wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    what is it with girls, bikes and baskets.
    Buy her some pink tassles for the end of the handlebars, and a Little Mermaid bell. That's what my wife wanted when we were viewing bikes a couple of months back ... :?

Stuart

You can't do that, otherwise every time you saw your wife on her bike you'd start thinking about Littigator. Scary.
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

I also had to agree to be patient, not ride off leaving her, complain that shes going too slow or doing something wrong and not insist she rides on the road (keeping it to parks and quiet cycle lanes).

This, my friend, will be the hard part. Waiting on a slow person is a nightmare. I'd suggest you get a sit up and beg bike 'cause going out on a road bike and having to wait on the gf!!! :x

Re: the bum photo - just get a random one off the net and stick it on. It will get everyone excited and we could have a series of (real) lady arse pics! Sounds great.
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
    Haro Freestyler Sport 1984
    Coming Soon...Canyon Nerve AM 7.0
  • Darra8
    Darra8 Posts: 721
    This is the funniest thread i have read in ages...great stuff :D
    40 year old pussy who "still" hates the thought of falling off!!
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Being a girl, while I will freely admit that my bike is pink in colour (not my choice I will say, just turned out the bike I could afford at the time was pink) it does not have a basket in any way shape or form. Have a pannier rack and bags for my works uniform if that counts, which I doubt... :lol:

am looking to investing in a good flat bar commuting road bike mind, need something a little lighter around the hills of Exeter
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • grayo59
    grayo59 Posts: 722
    NGale wrote:
    Being a girl, while I will freely admit that my bike is pink in colour (not my choice I will say, just turned out the bike I could afford at the time was pink) it does not have a basket in any way shape or form. Have a pannier rack and bags for my works uniform if that counts, which I doubt... :lol:

am looking to investing in a good flat bar commuting road bike mind, need something a little lighter around the hills of Exeter

Welcome to the forum NGale - now tell us about the uniform! :lol:
    grayo59 wrote:
    NGale wrote:

Welcome to the forum NGale - now tell us about the uniform! :lol:

Ahhh ambulance service uniform I'm afraid...very green :shock:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • BUICK
    BUICK Posts: 362
    I'd like to know-

how do I get into my girlfriend while cycling?
    '07 Langster (dropped one tooth from standard gearing)
    '07 Tricross Sport with rack and guards
    STUNNING custom 953 Bob Jackson *sigh*
  • That's and interesting idea!lol Tandem??
  • Yes, a big OI! to the person who said girls on bikes like baskets.... I'm a pannier girl all the way - the bowery won't take a basket anyhow... :shock:

And I wonder if I can get some black tassels for the bowery... teeheehee!
  • DonDaddyD
    Basically she liked the look of something like this:

http://www.shopfun24.com/beachcruiser/x ... e576d90253

Though the one we saw was yellow, had a follow imprint on the tyres and had a basket.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Well to be fair my first commuter bike was this....

kustom_kruiser.jpg

Damn... so predictable. But I've moved on!

I reckon get her on one of those at first, defo, good riding position for safety, you can turn around without feeling unstable, nice big tyres for potholes etc, handlebars which ensure a really comfortable riding position, coaster brake enables hand-signals etc. Perfect for starting out.

Then the same thing will happen as happened to me - she will get competitive, start going faster on the cruiser, build up enormous strength due to the sheer weight of the bike, then get a fixie and take on the world!! :twisted:
  • DonDaddyD
    Well to be fair my first commuter bike was this....

kustom_kruiser.jpg

I reckon get her on one of those at first, defo, good riding position for safety, you can turn around without feeling unstable, nice big tyres for potholes etc, handlebars which ensure a really comfortable riding position, coaster brake enables hand-signals etc. Perfect for starting out.

Then the same thing will happen as happened to me - she will get competitive, start going faster on the cruiser, build up enormous strength due to the sheer weight of the bike, then get a fixie and take on the world!! :twisted:

I have to say, cruisers do look like fun.

What actually possessed you to get a bike with such a high gearing?
    Food Chain number = 4

• biondino
    I think the fact that LiT's last bike (the gollum bike) was so cheap meant they saved money on the smallest sprocket they could get away with :)
  • DonDaddyD
    biondino wrote:
    I think the fact that LiT's last bike (the gollum bike) was so cheap meant they saved money on the smallest sprocket they could get away with :)

I guess LiTs found a great example of 'less actually being more' small sprocket more speed, less gearing more respect from cyclist in general.
    Food Chain number = 4

• secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    NGale wrote:
    Ahhh ambulance service uniform I'm afraid...very green :shock:

Ahhh...a blue light biker...it has to be said, those green jump suits are real passion killers...not like the old Nurse uniforms from "Angels"...

Ahem <<sits up straight>>

I appear to have arrived too late for the funny part of this thread, thereby missing the opportunity to make a joke about being able to give your girlfriend a vigorous pumping at least once every 2-3 days

Pathetic, I give up...again...

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    Well to be fair my first commuter bike was this....

kustom_kruiser.jpg

I have to say, cruisers do look like fun.

What actually possessed you to get a bike with such a high gearing?

They are fun! I still have mine... Need to get a new chain for it though, the last one broke while I was going up a hill.

And why the high gearing? Ignorance, sheer ignorance. I wanted a fixie, found the cheapest one out there and bought it.

I am now addicted to big gears though....
  • DonDaddyD

So seeing that you can speak from experience are big ones best?

Sorry couldn't resist.
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD wrote:

Sorry couldn't resist.

Yep, turns out size DOES matter....

chortle chortle...
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Sorry couldn't resist.

chortle chortle...

Now then you two we'll have none of that smut on this forum please, this is a family forum with family values thankyouverymuch.

And SecretSam I don't want to hear any suggestion ever again that there is humour on this forum. There most certainly is not. Greg T in particular makes sure of that :wink:
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Sorry couldn't resist.

chortle chortle...
    :shock:
    Damn, my girlfriend has been lying to me... she told me its all about the cadence :oops:
    :shock:
    Food Chain number = 4