How do I get my girlfriend into cycling?

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited September 2008 in Commuting chat
I would post this in the Road Beginners forum but figured the answers here would be more fun.

I'm trying to get my girlfriend into cycling, casual weekend cycling, cycle holidays, commuting to work, just generally on a bike?

What would you suggest?
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    What's her current attitude? If she's not keen it's likely there are specific elements she's put off by - cost, safety, effort etc. If you can pin that down you'll have something to work on. Similarly, are there aspects that do attract her - health, environment, whatever it may be?
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    Why the hell would you want to ?

I consider getting out on my bike as a bloody good method of escaping the old witch :D
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    You could try and breach the cycling subject obliquely.

"A couple of guys at work do a spot of cycling - sounds fun"

or

"I used to think I'd fancy cycling - what about you"

Sound her out slowly, you could try oral first - you know talking about bikes and stuff - that will get her interested - after that feel your way slowly.

If you go straight in with a Giant and give it to her she'll defo be shocked and won't want any of it....

It's got be a joint decision.

Suggest a "safe word".
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • biondino
    Discussing anything with Greg T is very much like making love to a beautiful woman.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Greg T wrote:
    you could try oral first

:shock:
  • biondino
    Greg T doesn't know the meaning of 1st and 2nd base.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    biondino wrote:
    Greg T doesn't know the meaning of 1st and 2nd base.

As proved by his recent bout of ahem, fertility.

How is little Bianchi Greg? Has she done a sub 30, 10 mile yet?
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • -Liam- wrote:
    Why the hell would you want to ?

I consider getting out on my bike as a bloody good method of escaping the old witch :D

Ah! that made me laugh...!
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
    Haro Freestyler Sport 1984
    Coming Soon...Canyon Nerve AM 7.0
  • Greg T
    Attica wrote:
    How is little Bianchi Greg? Has she done a sub 30, 10 mile yet?

A sad disappointment to me.

I suggested to her that we do the 3 lap Richmond Park Challenge this weekend, she just gazed around unfocussed, shat herself and started crying - BEFORE - she did the challenge - bad form.

• Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    biondino wrote:
    Discussing anything with Greg T is very much like making love to a beautiful woman.

I dunno, I'd liken it more to a cross between having a conversation with Kenneth Williams whilst having to pat your head and rub your stomach...coordinating it is very difficult and more than likely you'll end up snorting coffee down your nose and over your keyboard.

Back to the matter in hand, I'll try and make an honest approach to the subject without any recourse to innuendo...and if I do spot any, rest assured I'll whip it out immediately...

what??? :shock:
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    biondino wrote:

I was just coming to that as well...erm you know

swiss_tony.jpg

(it's a wig)
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I'm trying to get my girlfriend into cycling, casual weekend cycling, cycle holidays, commuting to work, just generally on a bike?

What would you suggest?

Tell her male cyclists have superb arses.
    Change your girlfriend??
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Withhold sex and tell her it's because you think her arse is too flabby?
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I think we should all just acknowledge that Greg T has won the Internet!

I might tell her about my thing for ladies in lycra on Bianchi's... see where that gets me.... After all legend has it Greg T came home one day and there was his other half, straddled across a brand new 'fixie' with the biggest ring man has ever seen! 9 months later and the lovely baby Bianchi T entered the world.
    biondino wrote:
    What's her current attitude? If she's not keen it's likely there are specific elements she's put off by - cost, safety, effort etc. If you can pin that down you'll have something to work on. Similarly, are there aspects that do attract her - health, environment, whatever it may be?

She is just reluctant to commit because she doesn't know if she'll like it and isn't confident about riding on the road, fear of falling off.

I just need to find a way of actually getting her on a bike in the first place.

I suppose health and spending time with me are the things that attract her right now but its about actually getting on a bike.

I'm going to see if she can borrow one of her friends and take it from there. If she can't borrow one of her friends bikes are there any other ways I can get her to try/practice on a bike without actually having to buy her one?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • call her fat (or signal that you think she been put on weight lately) then hang over a pink bike to her. :lol:

or

reward her something (e.g. handbag, shoes ..etc) for every mile she cycled. :lol:
    "It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    How about a ride to the pub, so you can both have a drink when you get there. obviously not the ride home very drunk, no, bacause I would never do that. Just one beer. Or get a new one who does like cycling. On the whole I find people either get it or they don't
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • I have the same problem with my GF, I have recently become some what ridiculouly addicted to my pedals and unfortuneately for her will not shut up about it!

If it's not my new PB on my commute or a bit of road rage with a taxi driver (you would think with 3 mirrors on their car they would at least look respectable when they nearly pincer you into a bus, because they obviously don't use them for driving! :lol:) I digress.

I mentioned doing the freewheel this weekend and told her how amazing it would be if she could come along, nice quiet roads, short distance etc (my sales spiel came into it's own!) She was there with bells on!

That was on Monday and yesterday she dropped the bomb shell that she wouldn't be able to attend the ride as she was going to buy a CAR........ of course with my mechanical skills (Level.002 - being able to put the chain back on my bike without going to my LBS) I now am expected to go with her.......... Would 14km on open roads with some great views be worth the hassle/ lack of the :wink: ????

My advice just bore her to tears (talking about fixies etc) and she may take interest or start to dipise all cyclists............. :evil:
    The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart ~Iris Murdoch

Mama always said I was SPECIALIZED ;-)
  • Greg T
    heavymtb wrote:
    My advice just bore her to tears (talking about fixies etc) and she may take interest or start to dipise all cyclists............. :evil:

I have an instant fix.

Bin her and ask Coriander out - she's single and into bikes.

Win win.

• Back to topic,

suggest renting a bike and riding down a nice canal path stopping in on a nice pub for lunch. Its flat, its safe ,no traffic and can be a easy nice way into cycling
  • Littigator
    Yep, the Regents Canal is a nice ride on a sunny Sunday afternoon, lots of people walking that you have to dodge but you can take it really slowly and for some of it you feel like you're in the countryside.

I might have a cheap halfords mtb you can borrow, the wife's old bike. What size is your girlfriend?

• What size is your girlfriend?

I'm not sure that's the kind of thing you ask in public.
  • Littigator
    SORRY! I meant how tall obviously :)

• SORRY! I meant how tall obviously

Obviously! Yes. That's what I was thinking too. Yes.

So does she need a big one then? We need to know?
  • Greg T
    Littigator wrote:
    SORRY! I meant how tall obviously :)

Yeah - sure you did.

I'm surprised you didn't ask for a picture of her bum "to make sure the saddle will fit".....

• Greg T wrote:
    I'm surprised you didn't ask for a picture of her bum "to make sure the saddle will fit".....

I've got a spare mountain bike too, probably with a "different shaped saddle".
  • biondino
    I don't have a spare bike but would like to see a picture of your girlfriend's bum please.

(actually I do have a spare bike but unless she's over 6 foot and is up for a road bike first off it might not be ideal)
  • How to get the GF on a bike?

Try this:

Buy a secondhand ladies bike.

Leave it somewhere that GF will find it. The bedroom is a good place.

Explain that it belongs to a friend who wants you to tweak her nipples and grease her bottom bracket for her.

Ignore GF and spend a ridiculous amount of time 'servicing' the bike. Lovingly polish every spoke and chain link. Make sure GF sees you suggestively caressing the saddle.

GF will become jealous of the bike and suspect a relationship with your friend.

Leave to simmer without boiling. Stir occasionally.

Wait for a nice day. Pick a time when GF is free. Spend lots of time on personal grooming. Make sure GF knows you are getting ready for a bike ride, but appear wearing 'going out gear' not your usual lycra.

Standing within view of the by now pristine and lovingly restored ladies bike tell GF you are off to see your friend.

Set off on bike ride, ride slowly enough to be caught.

Jealous GF will grab the ladies bike and attempt to follow you.

Job done - she's on the bike.

If you head for somewhere safe and unambiguous like GF's mother's house you might get away with it! Letting GFs mother in advance into the secret that you've bought GF a bike and done it up for her will help with corroboration as you try to explain yourself.

Have a wonderful non-cycling experience as you make-up.

Good luck.

• If you head for somewhere safe and unambiguous like GF's mother's house

My GF's Mum lives in Edinburgh, I live in London.......

Other wise you're a genius!!!!
    The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart ~Iris Murdoch

Mama always said I was SPECIALIZED ;-)
  • Greg T
    heavymtb wrote:

My GF's Mum lives in Edinburgh, I live in London.......

Other wise you're a genius!!!!

Sounds like you are the genius....

Does her Dad own a pub?