Just started

Matt1408
Matt1408 Posts: 6
edited September 2008 in Training, fitness and health
Hi, so ive done cycling before but never road biking, im a golf professional and just want to do it to get fitter for next season,but The more im doing it the more im getting addicted to it, and was just hoping for some advice really or any tips, i wanna try and get race fit for next year, any advice on how many miles a week i shud be starting to do and any other advice u could offer to help me out over the winter period

Thanx

Comments

• Matt1408 wrote:
    Hi, so ive done cycling before but never road biking, im a golf professional and just want to do it to get fitter for next season,but The more im doing it the more im getting addicted to it, and was just hoping for some advice really or any tips, i wanna try and get race fit for next year, any advice on how many miles a week i shud be starting to do and any other advice u could offer to help me out over the winter period

Thanx

Training plans are different for everyone. Cougar(I think it was him/her) in a another thread says that he can do up to 1500 miles in a month during the closed season... I am happy doing 4 nights a week in the gym a couple of hours at a time at this point in time.

The training plan also depends on your current fitness and many other variables.

how about just getting on the bike...set yourself a course and then set yourself a time by riding it. Try and equal this time next time out or even beat it if you can. Once you have an idea of what you can currently do then you can set yourself realistic goals of what you want to be able to do.
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • thanx for the reply.
    well i assume im quite fit, i do around 3 nights a week normally which are about a 10-15 mile in distance, i normally equal or beat my times wen i go out, ive never been slower on the same route which is good.
    I try to push myself as much as i can, where i live no matter what route i take there is always hills sumwhere in it, which im not all that used to starting out, but their getting easier bit by bit.
    How many miles a night would u recommend or shud i just keep going as i feel comfortable then adding a bit at a time?
  • Matt1408 wrote:
    thanx for the reply.
    well i assume im quite fit, i do around 3 nights a week normally which are about a 10-15 mile in distance, i normally equal or beat my times wen i go out, ive never been slower on the same route which is good.
    I try to push myself as much as i can, where i live no matter what route i take there is always hills sumwhere in it, which im not all that used to starting out, but their getting easier bit by bit.
    How many miles a night would u recommend or shud i just keep going as i feel comfortable then adding a bit at a time?

Try adding about 5% distance every week until you struggle...then hold that distance until it is comfortable....possibly try some intervals up the hills that give you most trouble during your ride.....you will be knackered but that is the aim of the game..
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Matt1408 wrote:
    any advice on how many miles a week i shud be starting to do and any other advice u could offer to help me out over the winter period
    Very difficult to generalise as everyone responds to training differently, but as a very rough guide I'd say you need to be riding 6-8 hours a week minimum to be competitive at entry level bunch racing.

I'd suggest you build up your mileage over the winter and think about joining a local club. Add some speed work (intervals / chaingang) in the 6-8 weeks before your first planned race.