So, how was your season?

2»

Comments

• BeaconRuth wrote:
    You forgot to mention this, Jeff..........
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos.php?i ... rancija118

Many congratulations!!

Ruth
    Ditto :D

So, who reports on that race if you're all in it? :lol:
  • Jungli
    Jungli Posts: 201
    My goals were to enter and just complete some sportives as I had never done any before this year (apart from the woodcote sunday sportive last year). Not a very specific goal I know but then I have only been consistently training since Jan 2007 prior to which I was just riding off road here and there with mates.

Completed all of them and they were the White Horse Classic, Hampshire Hilly Hundred, Dragon and Southern Sportive. Got silver on all of them and was about 10-20 mins from gold.

I am not sure if I quite have the endurance to do the Marmotte (or even if I want to) yet so am not sure what next years goals are yet but am thinking some more..

:D
  • I'm reasonably pleased with my first season. My goals were:

1. 25 min 10 TT - Not quite! Ended up with a best of 26:04, although i maybe should have tried a different course to the K41. I reckon i've only got my pace judgement in 10's right twice all year, so something to work on!

2. 1 Hr 05 Min 25TT - Did it! I seemed to go much better in 25's, probably cos i didn't dare go out too hard! Had a good run of 4 weeks when i kept improving each time, ended up with a 01:04, so pleased with that.

3. Complete the Little Mountain TT - Really glad i entered this one - easily the most challenging TT course i've encountered this year. Did about as well as i dared hope, will be back next year!

4. Enter the Leicestershire TT Series - Unfortunately i got the dates for this after booking our holiday, so missed the double weekend! I'm missing the last round this weekend as i've promised to help my sister move house - must do bettter next year!

5. Complete the Leicester Marathon - in training at the moment, 4 and a half weeks to go. Fingers crossed! (To be honest i'll be glad when the trainings over and i can spend more time on the bike again!)

All in all, i think it's gone ok. My main disappointment was blowing up in the Rudy Project i entered- was a bit down after that one, as i didn't think i'd done myself justice. Still, there's always next year!

By way, impressive stuff Jeff!

Rich
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Richie G wrote:
    3. Complete the Little Mountain TT - Really glad i entered this one - easily the most challenging TT course i've encountered this year. Did about as well as i dared hope, will be back next year!
    You forgot to mention that this is THE BEST event of the year too, but as long as you come back next year, that's the main thing!

All we need now is to persuade our multiple World Champion (Journo) to come and do it. I reckon a podium finish shouldn't be beyond him. :wink:

Ruth
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    Cheers guys and gals. 'Twas a very satisfying result. Rainbow jerseys are nice to win, let me tell you.

Ruth, I definitely want to do the Little Mountain TT next year. One of my off-season goals is to get a UK driver's licence so I can get to events like this that are further afield.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • BeaconRuth
    Jeff Jones wrote:
    Ruth, I definitely want to do the Little Mountain TT next year.
    Super! So, what are the rules about you racing in rainbow stripes? Are you allowed to wear them in CTT events? We could get some mileage out of the pre-event publicity for the LMTT by telling everyone we've a World Champion taking part! :wink: We have plenty of photograhers at the event too so they would all be crowding round for a few good shots......... on the start line, at the finish, suffering up Ankerdine............. this could be a real marketing opportunity! :D

Ruth
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    So, what are the rules about you racing in rainbow stripes?
    He's only allowed to wear them if he's got his laptop strapped to the bike somewhere :wink:
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    Wow it looks like some peeps have had a pretty good season. Chapeau if you've managed to reach your goals. My main goals were to move up from 3rd cat to 2nd cat and to win a race - both of which I managed to do. Although I've been strong in quite a number of races - in the first 3 months I didn't race very smarly. :? iI also wanted to complete a stage race. I did the Ras de Cumru 2/3 5 day stage race in wales which was pretty cool.Finally I wanted to ride under 60mins on a Road bike but didn't get it together in the end so next year hopefully. :D
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    At the start of the year I had the ambition of just doing a 10 mile TT having never done (or even seen) one before.

I was told my target time was 30 mins. First time out I did 29' 58" :D
    and then topped it with 27' 17" :lol:

In between, I even managed a 20 in under an hour (well, 59' 34") & although I'd no ambition for that was more than pleased.

Next year...
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • BeaconRuth
    RichK wrote:
    I was told my target time was 30 mins. First time out I did 29' 58" :D
    and then topped it with 27' 17" :lol:

In between, I even managed a 20 in under an hour (well, 59' 34") & although I'd no ambition for that was more than pleased.
    From a starting point of a very tentative introductory club ride less than a year ago which, at about 27 miles IIRC, was the furthest you had ever ridden at that point.............. that's very impressive, Richard. I'm wondering where you could get to if you carry on improving like that for a few years! :D

Ruth

ps. I hope YOU are going to ride the LMTT next year?!
  • Jeff Jones
    Bronzie wrote:
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    So, what are the rules about you racing in rainbow stripes?
    He's only allowed to wear them if he's got his laptop strapped to the bike somewhere :wink:
    Hehe, good point :wink: Maybe a helmet cam or something.

Ruth, I'll check in the handbook but from what I've seen at opens this year, I think you can wear pretty much anything you like so long as the sleeves are the right length(!) and you've got any sponsors approved. I should be able to get a skinsuit made up with rainbow stripes + AIJC (Association Internationale des Journalistes du Cyclisme) on it, like the jerseys have. I couldn't wear it in a UCI event of course (probably not in a BC race either) but anything else, well, why not?

I also have to say that just riding in a rainbow jersey when you've done something to earn it feels amazing. I'm just extremely lucky that it's possible to win one in my profession...
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Toks wrote:
    My main goals were to move up from 3rd cat to 2nd cat and to win a race - both of which I managed to do.
    Nice one Toks - good work! 8)
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    Jeff Jones wrote:
    Good. Targets were:

1. Win a few TTs (yep: 10 so far, plus a road race and an age category silver at the British TT champs)
    2. Fall off/get sick less than in 2007 (so far so good, fingers crossed)
    Cool, which Road Race did you win Jeff?
  • Mixed.

1a. New PBs for 10 and 25 mile TTs

Yes, both acheived!

1b sub 23 for 10 and sub 1hr for 25

Well, sort of, I did a 22.38 on a rather unfairly fast course (albeit an official CTT one) with a lovely ski-slope start that you don't have to go back up.

2. Win the club hilly TT series

Nope, i got third, but realistically this was a bit of a long shot.

3. Win a RR

Umm... no... I only did 4 and the best I did was 11th and that was only because hardly anyone turned up... I'm bored of dull circuit races, I want proper road races with hills!!!

4. Under 6:15 in dragon ride

Yes, did 6.09 despite absolutely dying a death at about 120km. Will be back next year for another shot with sub 6 as the aim.

5. Gold on Woodcote sportive

Yes! And the joint fifth fastest at that :)

6. Win club hill climb champs...

Will find out this Sunday!
  • Jeff Jones
    Toks wrote:
    Jeff Jones wrote:
    Good. Targets were:

1. Win a few TTs (yep: 10 so far, plus a road race and an age category silver at the British TT champs)
    2. Fall off/get sick less than in 2007 (so far so good, fingers crossed)
    Cool, which Road Race did you win Jeff?
    This one: http://www.cyclingnews.com/road.php?id= ... noworlds08

Congrats on your category promotion too, Toks. Aiming for cat 1 next year?
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports