How do I start running?

GyatsoLa
GyatsoLa Posts: 667
edited September 2008 in Training, fitness and health
Yes, I know it sounds silly to ask how to run, but whenever I try I feel like a waterbuffalo trying to tango.

Ever since I was a teenager, due to mild asthma I found running very painful and uncomfortable. I found that cycling was the one thing I could do fitness-wise, so I stuck to it. But I do think I need to do a big of jogging to help with fitness - not to mention that I'm sick of cleaning mud off my bike after every ride, it would be nice to only have laundry to face.

I'm 42, moderately fit, normal weight, etc., for my height and age, my normal fitness regime is three early morning 1-hour rides (on or off-road, depending on weather and mood), one longer weekend ride, and 1 session yoga/pilates per week, plus a fair bit of walking. I'd like to build a little bit of running into this regime. I've a park nearby with a good mix of paths and grassy trails.

Is there any simple way of building up a good running technique? Better to run on grass or tarmac to start? Should I stick to a pace as most joggers i see do, or should I do a slow pace with occasional sprints like I do on the bike?

Any input welcome....

Comments

• I started about a year ago, after years of cycling only, and do a mile every 2nd day
    before work, that's all i'm interested in. I would say go early or late in the day, when you don't feel pressured to keep up with other, inevitably better runners. Walk, run, walk, run, at your own pace. Don't underestimate the importance of breaks in between running days. Do too much too soon and you risk injury.

Think about finding a rhythm, forget about pace. I'm 50 and found it very hard on knees, so I take glucosamine and keep to the grass. But above all, don't run until you get decent pair trainers, from someone who knows what they are talking about.

What does being a cyclist bring to it? Not much except generally cyclists dont weigh much, which is good, plus an ability to control breathing and some mental attitude
    down the line to tough it out and to pace yourself. Slipstreaming is frowned upon. :lol:
    Women outnumber male joggers by about 8 to 1; don't ask me why.

It's not as much fun as biking but is cheap and less hassle. Use an ipod and at first choose music which is slow e.g. Bob Marley! Punk will give you a heart attack.
  • Hi there..... having recently taken up running after a three years absense from structured full on excercise I can contribute. I'm only 32 now and was feeling unfit and extremely sluggish at the thought of running however I turned the corner....

This information, and any paraphrasing, comes from a great little look I read -- Beginning Running (its by the Runners World Magaxine I think).

Bascially I thik there's three stages of running -- as you;ll already excercising fell free to modify. The first stage is getting your body used to the impact so I started the basc running plan to get to 30 minutes running without stopping. As my legs where stuffed and back was sore I took the reccommended appraoch of running for one minute and walking for one minute for a total of 40 mins (the book reccommends 20 min but I think its two short). Do this three times in week for one week. Week two would be Run two minutres walk one minute ...

Week 3 - Run 4 -- Walk 1
    Week 4 - Run 5 -- Walk 2
    Week 5 - Run 6 -- Walk 2
    Week 6 - Run 8 -- Walk 2
    Week 7 - Run 9 -- Walk 1
    Week 8 - Run 10 -- Walk 1
    Week 8 - Run 15-- Walk 2
    Week 10 - Run 20-- Walk 2
    Week 11 - Run 20-- Walk 2 -- What ever you like
    Week 12 - Run 30

Its a fairly simple plan and I'm sure you can find a better outline on the runnersworld.co.uk website.

Stage 2. Is during the training when your body is getting used to the pounding and you start to fell niggles..... ease off (go back a week) your training and ensure your properly doing streches. Remember the real goal here is not to run like a madman but to be able to run over time.

Stage 3. once your running for 15 / 20 minutes non-stop I would reccomend going to a decent running shop and getting your gait checked. This is done in some shops and also by some physiotherapists.... physio is the best bet and they will also give you excercises to help you with the deficiencies you have.....

Once your at 30 mins of running your pretty well on yor way. From there just progress slowly to reach whatever your goals are. For me I'll not wuite running 30 minutes yet as I've been working at cycling as well.... 100 miles per week.....

:D
  • I'd plan to do maybe two runs a week for a while - and that might be anything from 10-15 minutes at a time to maybe half an hour. I know it doesn't sound much but if you aren't used to it the legs can take quite a long time to recover - often it's not the day of the run itself it's the couple of days after. It may be that's too conservative for you but if not don't assume you are just not meant to run - for most people it takes time.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Thanks everyone for the advice - looks good. I guess I'll take it gently and see how it goes.

Mind you, looks like the weather is finally looking up so maybe I'll stick to the bike until it gets grim again!
  • I'm a jog leader in the JogScotland programme, which is specifically aimed at beginning runners.

We start off alternating one minute jog/walk for 10 minutes and build up to running for 15mins plus after 10-12 weeks. It's great for getting runners to a point where they feel confident enough to train by themselves, but doing it gradually and generally injury free.

PM me off line and I can send you a copy of our training schedule if you'd like.

Best of luck and build up slowly.

Craig

There's a future for you in the fire escape trade...
  • Im a runner who only took up road cycling a couple of years ago.

Well I cant really add much more than the others said. Start slow, build up etc, Maybe try 'runners world' As just like cycling its some times easier if someone else is waiting for you or theres a club down the road to train with or a local runner to chase!

Best thing after years of competitive running - sun 3 mara's etc which take there toll. Mix it up. Cycle here/ run there/ Up hills only - nice and flat. Sprint/job.

Keeps it interesting !?

:lol:
    “Look where you want to go. Not where you are going”