Lance Armstrong out of retirement

Comments

• So Realgains was right...he predicted all of this didnt he !! ??

Mr Armstrong just couldnt resist it !!

C:\Documents and Settings\woodwl01\Desktop\Assessing Lance's natural talent and does he have The Bug - RoadBikeReview Forums.htm
    lucy Woodward
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Good to see a few more cynics like myself on here...God is their no end to this guys arrogance and massive ego i did say EGO Not EP$ :lol: . all we will get now is the Lance de France show.. the tour is bigger than one rider. the guy i feel sorry for is the poor bugger in the Astana team who will have to make way for "God" himself.....no what am i saying the self control freak will pick his own riders. how good would it be to see him fall flat on his face and shut up all the Crawly - Bum - Lick fans of his on here....we had one of the best tours in years just there...we dont want to go back too the 2-Speeds tour de france. just had a horrible thought its going to be Hellish listening to PHIL LIGGETT and TEAM SHERWIN next year....they 2 will be Creaming themselves behind the bike sheds with shouts of TEAM LANCE. GO LANCE. HAVE MY BABIES LANCE oh and the saucy BIG George Hincapie line. AAAARGHHHH this is a bad dream
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    VERY interesting article in Vanity Fair. Some excerpts...
    Armstrong recognizes that the European press may very well be laying in wait for him, hoping he’ll fail. “I didn’t go out of my way to make friends with the French media,” he says. “In fact, I was combative. I was unavailable, arrogant, and I was that way to a lot of them. Anybody who wrote a negative article: Done. Never speak to them again. I won’t do that this time. I mean, these daily or weekly [phone conferences]? Everyone’s invited. From the bitterest of rivals I’ve ever had in the pressroom: Get on call. If you’ve got a question, ask it.… They’ll realize that I’m not messing around.” The difference this time, he says, is that he won’t be flaunting his Americanism in their faces. “The constituency that I represent,” he says, “is now cancer survivors.”

WOW. Now if he actually follows through on that, what a different Lance it'll be. And what a huge admission this is from him. I've never seen him admit that he was part of the problem. He even calls himself arrogant and combative. I'm impressed.
    Another obstacle Armstrong faces is having his Tour attempt written off as another Brett Favre–ean resurrection. Second—or third or fourth—acts aren’t all that interesting anymore in America. But he insists this is different, since he will get no salary for the 2009 season (although his speaking fees and endorsement deals clearly won’t suffer). “Everybody in cycling has a team and takes a team salary,” he says. “I am essentially racing for free. No salary. No bonus. Nothing on the line.… This one’s on the house. And you know what? At the end of the day, I don’t need money.… Not only will I be fine, my kids will be fine, my grandkids will be fine.”

Yes, he will make money from endorsements but to anyone saying he's doing this to pay bills, you're completely wrong. He could have taken a salary or purely bonus structure and in most people's minds that wouldn't have changed this, so it's huge that he's doing that. (Of course, I think he should have told his team to take the salary they'd have paid him and donated it to cancer research)
    High on top of his bookshelves, in special alcoves, are his seven blue Tour trophies. Desperately, he wants an eighth. And if for some strange reason the A.S.O. doesn’t “invite” Armstrong and his team to the Tour de France, he plans on pleading his case directly to the current French president, Nicolas Sarkozy. “I’ve already put a call in to him,” Armstrong says. “Look it up. He’s said strong (positive) things about me in the past.”

ASO better be careful, Lance has already gone to Daddy.
    “I fear failure,” Armstrong admits, during a quiet moment. “I have a huge phobia around failure....And for me, I think a lot of that stems from just the illness and the diagnosis and the process there. Because failure there is death. Loss there is death. And victory is living. Which people just assume they’re going to do. I mean, most people—cancer survivors—don’t always assume that. But I was scared. You know, from that point on, I associated loss with death. And so I didn’t. It was burned in my mind forever.

“I don’t like to lose in anything. Anything.”

This is why I'd never bet against the man. Even if he was 45, I'd never bet against him losing. He's willing to give more of himself to win than any of his opponents.

As Bruce Lee said:
    The worst opponent you can come across is one whose aim has become an obsession. For instance, if a man has decided that he is going to bite off your nose no matter what happens to him in the process, the chances are he will succeed in doing it.
  • Fastlad
    Fastlad Posts: 908
    WORLD CHAMP AT 21, 7 TIMES TDF WINNER, TOTALLY GIFTED AND 100% COMMITTED AND STILL HUNGRY TO WIN THE BIGGEST BIKE RACE IN THE WORLD!!!! VIVE LE TOUR.....FOREVER. WAY TO GO LANCE, YOU CAN DO IT 8)
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    The boring, boring, neo-con (read whatever you like) returns.
    Surprised he isn't standing for President.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Ha - putting in a call to the French President ! He's got balls !

(er maybe i should have phrased that better ?)
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    donrhummy wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:
    donrhummy wrote:
    I never said they were all clean. But to call it the darkest period means it was the time of greatest turmoil, scandal, loss of money, etc. And it was the exact opposite. You could call it the greatest Oz period (as in Wizard of Oz, where everything was great on the surface, glittering like gold but underneath it was a farce) if you wanted, but not the darkest. (I'm not sure I totally agree with that assessment as cheating and performance enhancement goes back to the first TDF's, but I can see that being a more sensible statement)

I agree to a certain to extent. But for me, the period saw a building up of problems which became clear in the following years. Lance epitomises an era where poeple were visiting a spanish blood clinic. Lance epitomises an era where cycling became one race a year. Lance epitomises an era where the tests didn't work and where many lost all faith in their heroes. It was a dark period for cycling. Sure when Lance retired sponsors went away, drug scandals boiled over and cycling went through a very rough patch, but that was needed so that cycling could gain a new sheen.

Whoah, you have it wrong. Lance dominated an era where people visited blood clinics in Spain, not epitomizes. He's never been shown to have visited a blood bank. So how can you say he epitomizes it? Epitomize means "to serve as the typical or ideal example of" something. Since Lance has never even been suspected of using a blood bank like Puerto, he's not an example of that. BIG difference.

Whilst he didn't visit Puerto etc. He's the figurehead of that era, that's what I meant.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 608358.stm

Astana it is then. Contador has no problem with it.
  • 2049 I can see it now. Trek unveiled their latest, carbon fibre bath chair.
    I'm amazed that some people on here are having premature ejacs, over the thought
    that things are moving backwards.
    Much better to buy the dvd and an extra large box of tissues, if they are so desperate to re-live the past.

Heaven knows, (as do a few around here) he's not exactly my favourite rider, but I feel sorry for Bertie C.
    He's seen all his aspirations disappear down the toilet, with one Armstrong flush.
    The Hog has already done an about face and has now put out the red carpet.

He's gone from 2009 TDF favourite, the peloton numero uno, to apprentice head water boy.
    Strangely enough, some people think this move might actually be of benefit, for the rider who will probably be the first guy to have won all 3GTs, since Hinault.

Something old Lance can't imagine, even in his ego driven dreams.

I think Iain's got it spot on......
    Milton50 wrote:
    Astana it is then. Contador has no problem with it.

Watch out for those fairies and flying pigs! :roll:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    :roll:
  • I dont get it. Why not book his rightful place in history and go for a Giro-Vuelta double?
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    If it is Astana, I want some shares in Nalini or Santini or whoever it is makes their replica kit.

The streets are already full of cyclists on Treks wearing Disco-replica kit, they'll all be wanting to update...

To everyone bleating GO LANCE
    - Go Lance, Go Away ! The sport's better-off without you...
  • Fastlad wrote:
    WORLD CHAMP AT 21, 7 TIMES TDF WINNER, TOTALLY GIFTED AND 100% COMMITTED AND STILL HUNGRY TO WIN THE BIGGEST BIKE RACE IN THE WORLD!!!! VIVE LE TOUR.....FOREVER. WAY TO GO LANCE, YOU CAN DO IT 8)

You know what I like most about Lance........
    'How can an opinion be bullsh1t?' High Fidelity
  • Fastlad wrote:

You know what I like most about Lance........

....F@ck All :wink: :!:
    'How can an opinion be bullsh1t?' High Fidelity
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Fastlad wrote:

HE WAS A BULLY, WHY DO PEOPLE HERO-WORSHIP THIS BULLY?

I don't care whether or not he doped, he was a downright bully.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • guv001
    guv001 Posts: 688
    Its on his offical site, so straight from the horses mouth.

http://www.livestrong.com/
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Spot on RED DRAGON....the guy was and allways will be a BULLY - his Pathetic Chase of Simeoni from the bunch just proved to me that this GUY has more to Hide than we think he has ??? come on ASO Dont invite Astana next year give it to a B division team
  • Fastlad
    edited September 2008
    Fastlad wrote:

HE WAS A BULLY, WHY DO PEOPLE HERO-WORSHIP THIS BULLY?

I don't care whether or not he doped, he was a downright bully.

he was bloody talented, aggresive, hungry and smart!!! All the necessary attributes of a tour winner. :wink:

P.s Nice guys don't win races such as the tour!! Look at the amount of pussies who constantly sit in the peloton afraid to attack!!! those guys will NEVER win! Lance has instilled fear and commands respect due to his pure ability and his sheer will to win, time and again. We need more bullies like him ffs :roll:
  • After all the crap he gave the French I dont think they'll just roll over and welcome him back.

Personally I think its a backward step for cycling. So much for the new wave of "clean" cyclists. If he races for Astana, where does that leave Contador.
    The beer always wins
  • redddraggon
    Fastlad wrote:
    he was bloody talented, aggresive, hungry and smart!!! All the necessary attributes of a tour winner. :wink:

Being a BULLY is not a required attribute of a tour winner.

There is a difference between being a bully, and being ruthless.

Most of the other multiple tour winners weren't bullies, so why did he need to be?

I'm not questioning his talent.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Jez mon wrote:
    donrhummy wrote:
    I never said they were all clean. But to call it the darkest period means it was the time of greatest turmoil, scandal, loss of money, etc. And it was the exact opposite. You could call it the greatest Oz period (as in Wizard of Oz, where everything was great on the surface, glittering like gold but underneath it was a farce) if you wanted, but not the darkest. (I'm not sure I totally agree with that assessment as cheating and performance enhancement goes back to the first TDF's, but I can see that being a more sensible statement)

I agree to a certain to extent. But for me, the period saw a building up of problems which became clear in the following years. Lance epitomises an era where poeple were visiting a spanish blood clinic. Lance epitomises an era where cycling became one race a year. Lance epitomises an era where the tests didn't work and where many lost all faith in their heroes. It was a dark period for cycling. Sure when Lance retired sponsors went away, drug scandals boiled over and cycling went through a very rough patch, but that was needed so that cycling could gain a new sheen.

The Tour De France is the biggest race in the calendar so it will always be one race a year to some extent. The guy's allowed to pick which races he wants to do. I can also tell you that I have more faith in Lance being clean than many of the current crop of winners as so many from the current crop have actually been caught. No excuses, athlete after athlete and team after team have been found out. Lance was not amongst these.

I can't see why it's a bad thing for the sport; all of you who doubted Lancebefore will doubt him again but with the tighter testing and everything else, it should be difficult to cheat as you believe he did before, right? So it's a chance for him to get caught for you lot and for those of us who see him as a legend and an icon, it will just be another chance to see him ride again, or have our opinions changed if he gets caught for substance abuse.

As far as I am concerned: Go Lance. Stick it up 'em. :wink:
  • claudb
    claudb Posts: 212
    I really wish he'd just stay away now !!
    Is he not just doing this because he's failed to adapt to life after retiring ? I don't think that's a good reason to return. No real surprise that he seems to be aiming to WIN the Tour again and, I suppose he has still likely got the condition etc, BUT what happens if he doesn't win ?? How will he cope with that ?? And if he did win again will people not just say that it's no great surprise because he's done it so often before anyway ?
    OK, not many will be sorry for him if he failed but I don't think he'll be doing himself any favours. No, to me, he has much more to lose than to gain. Even if he makes anti-doping info publicly available does he really think those who continue to suspect his past achievements will suddenly start to believe him now ?? I was actually a fan of his especially admiring his obsessive quest for perfection and his winning mentality, but however much he needs this comeback I don't think the Sport does and I think he is being disrespectfull to it.
  • Fastlad
    well said patrick! He will continue to inspire and motivate many cyclists, including me!!
    God, i love LA. News of his return makes me want to go out and ride in the pissing rain, right now!!!! :D 8)
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    Oh no!
    :cry: Not hiim again - I'm not looking forward to next year's Tour now. Bully boy thinks he's greater than the Tour. All those 'famous friends'. Boring.
    I see Floyd 'Kid Roack' Landis is coming back so Armstong could create a team managed by Manolo Saiz withLandis, Hamilton etc
    What about Bert? Off to new pastures?
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • Lance really is the best - he inspired me to get back on my bike and do this thing - this great, hard, nasty, glorious thing - that all of us on this board love.

As to Reddragon's suggestion that Lance is or was a bully, and that somehow this is reprehensible, I would really suggest that you check your facts and read your history.

For one, many great tour winners are, to an extent, bullies of the peloton - Hinault was a classic example, the patron of the peloton, he cajoled and bullied his way through numberous tours and was one of the greatest ever champions.

So what he chased down Simoni? Simoni had stitched up one of Armstrong's friends and had said a lot of unpleasant untrue things about Armstrong in the media. Simoni deserved it. Apparently many in the peloton congratulated LA about that particular incident - hardly the response a bully might expect.
  • redddraggon
    Lance really is the best - he inspired me to get back on my bike and do this thing - this great, hard, nasty, glorious thing - that all of us on this board love.

As to Reddragon's suggestion that Lance is or was a bully, and that somehow this is reprehensible, I would really suggest that you check your facts and read your history.

For one, many great tour winners are, to an extent, bullies of the peloton - Hinault was a classic example, the patron of the peloton, he cajoled and bullied his way through numberous tours and was one of the greatest ever champions.

So what he chased down Simoni? Simoni had stitched up one of Armstrong's friends and had said a lot of unpleasant untrue things about Armstrong in the media. Simoni deserved it. Apparently many in the peloton congratulated LA about that particular incident - hardly the response a bully might expect.

LANCE FAN BOY!!!!
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    paul_bhoy wrote:
    So much for the new wave of "clean" cyclists.

Or should that be ones that have never tested positive, all because you don't test positive doesn't mean they are clean.

Well that is how people seem to see Lance Armstrong as, he has never tested positive, so we have no knowledge of whether he doped or not, just like alot of guys that rode at the same time. I hope he does well, I think some of the big names in the peleton might still be doping, but unless you get a positive test you have to assume they are not doping, the same goes for 1999-2005

Doping is just as much of a problem today to be honest, the TdF wasn't without a major catch this year was it.

I can't see why he should stay away, if the younger generation are good enough they will beat him, and for whoever does beat him it would be a good scalp. Lance is more of an inspiration, than Cadel Evans will ever be.
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Lance really is the best - he inspired me to get back on my bike and do this thing - this great, hard, nasty, glorious thing - that all of us on this board love.

Uh...it wasn't Simoni. That's Gilberto, the Giro winner. It was Filippo Simeoni who attacked Ferrari and got into it with Lance. :)
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    I see Ulle has said 'Well if Lance's making a comeback, so should I . Seriously. Although I've not really thought of it before'.

Perhaps Pou-pou can make a comeback too, the peloton letting him win the first stage, so he's got a yellow jersey at last.
  • I would really suggest that you check your facts and read your history.

I know this has already been pointed out, but this is an example of what will now saturate the forums and pass as facts.

Up the honest man in the "Tricolore".

Backwards and downwards, for the rest of us I'm afraid to say. :(
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.