Huge Porker on a road bike

2»

Comments

• What bike have you decided on dude?

Im a cuddly 17 stone myself and lost 1.5 stone since July. Just by biking and not eating so many pies and burgers!

My mountain bike has served me well over the last two summers, but now I wanna get a road bike and really get back down to 13 stone.

So, I'm willing to drop £700-1k on a bike, but need to factor in hidden costs of cycle helmets, peddles, shoes, cleaning products, massive quality pump, cycle computer, extra brackets for my lights.

So, that probably leaves me with £750 for a bike? and £250 on accessories?

I dont want a bike to flex and spokes to bust under my husky frame. Is a Scott a good choice? I can get the Spech allez triple 2009 for £493 delivered. This is at my lower end of the budget? what should I be looking at for around £700-800?
  • and I thought I was the only over 200lb 'er looking silly on a road bike!!

Managed to go from 105kg in july to just about 100kg now; lost a similar amount of weight last summer, but it crept back over the winter.

Bought a Orbea Fleche/Asphalt in July, realy enjoy riding it in the evenings but my rides are all finishing in the dark now. Just hope I can stay motivated.

Looking to buy a turbo trainer, but I don't have a good history with them as I find it so boring riding without going anywhere.

Wish me luck!
  • If you find turbo trainers boring, then buy a decent set of lights and head out regardless. I use hope vision twin LED. I find cars give me much respect when they see me coming due to the brightness of them.

Did a 37miler after work on Tuesday,dark when I set out and dark when I got home. It was chucking it down, I was soaked but still enjoyed it much more than I would have spending the time on a Turbo.

I reckon that as long as I'm moving I won't feel the cold from being wet and seal skinz socks keep my feet dry so no risk of problems there.

I'm confident that I can keep my mileage up over the winter unless we get snow.

G

Ps I ride a Kona Jake the Snake CX with Mavic Aksium wheels and Conti Slicks. The CX frame copes much better with my weight. I found I could flex some road frames that I demo'd if I stood on the pedals and gave it some welly
  • brownbosh wrote:
    cyclocross bikes will run on open pros - narrow them down a bit. Alternatively consider the cxp rims they are deeper section and a bit stronger even if they are a bit heavier. If you buckle your existing wheels you wont be able to sell them on. Or ride on them and if they go out then get a build?

I run Open Pros on my 'cross bike and they cope with everything thrown at them on my off-road traning runs - rocky bridlepaths, unexpected potholes of unknown depth(!), tree roots, etc. - and are still fit to race after all that, so they should do just fine.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal