Do you dry ride only?

flyer
flyer Posts: 608
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
Having just bought a new Roubiax Pro a few weeks ago I am determined to keep it in mint condition. This means only riding when its dry, thats not to say I wont get caught in a shower or two.

Having had an S WORKS tarmac for a couple of years, the winter salt etc just recked it, despite cleaning after everytrip so its now its Road Bike when its dry and moountain bike when its raining.

How about you?

I guess its sometimes at the expense of enjoying cycling after all thats what I bought it for, maybe when I have had it for a year I may think differently!

Flyer

Comments

• I mainly cycle only when it's dry, this has nothing to do with trying to keep the bike pristine and more to do with the fact that I don't enjoy cycling when I'm getting wet and cold and the rain running down the back of my neck, getting into my eyes etc.

Well you get the idea, though I don't mind the wind.
  • I got a new Specialized Allez only 2-3 weeks ago, but I am already abusing it by taking it out in the rain! And pouring rain at that, it's rained every day last week apart from today in Cheltenham... I wouldn't call myself a fair weather cyclist at all.

Part of the adventure for me when cycling is the elements and I love the outdoors; of course I have to wear full raingear though. After I get back I dry the bike off, then clean and oil the chain. I hate cycling in strong winds though and would tend to find an excuse to stay indoors if it's anything over 20mph..

EDIT: Seems I'm the opposite of Barrie_G lol...
  • woody-som
    woody-som Posts: 1,001
    same as Barry G, but if I'm out and it rains, then OK.. Cycling is fun, but not when the rain is being driven into your face.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    If you want to keep it "mint" don't ride it. Which doesn't make much sense but I think
    you get my point. Forget "mint" and just ride the damn thing. :lol::lol:

Dennis Noward
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Whats the point of having a bike and not riding it?

Doesn't it look at you accusingly when you use some other means of getting around, and it wants to come out and play in the traffic?

Bikes are for life, not just for christmas!
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • To answer the question: No.

I also try to keep my road bike as "mint" as possible by cleaning and maintaining it. But, basically, I bought it to ride. Mostly for a reasonable length commute. So I ride it, regardless of the weather (well, ice and stuff excepting ...). Don't fancy 55 miles a day on an MTB anyway.
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    If you only ride when its not raining then surely you will not be getting many miles in? :D

Not in this damp, grey little island.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • wicked wrote:
    If you only ride when its not raining then surely you will not be getting many miles in? :D

Not in this damp, grey little island.

Actually, it's surprising how rare it is getting a thorough soaking even riding 2-3 hours a day. The main problem is leaving it out all day at work - that's when it gets wet.
  • No problems going out on 'best' bike in rain. But definitely only the old hack in the salt!!
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    I took up cycling in March and so I only have a 'best' bike. In an effort to keep it best, I'm not taking it out in the rain.

However, come October once I've been on hols and paid for a new bathroom, I'm going off in search of a self-build winter hack...
  • Cycling is fun, but not when the rain is being driven into your face.
    pah. Cycling is fun at all times and in all weathers. Even when you're going backwards because the wind is so strong, and the rain appears to be coming from below, and the hailstones are bouncing up off the road and knocking your teeth out - it's still ALWAYS better than not riding. Sheesh - you could be in the office, or something, instead of on your bike.
  • I CANT ride in the rain, finish line dry :roll: . Best decision I ever made :lol:
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    Get a cheap winter hack for bad weather... If you only ride when it's dry in this country you'll never ride your bike...
  • BUICK
    BUICK Posts: 362
    If I don't ride in the wet I can't get to work! Sold my car last year. I do have more than one bike though and try to take care of them. In really bad winter weather I'm on the Tricross with the standard 32 tires and 'guards on.
    '07 Langster (dropped one tooth from standard gearing)
    '07 Tricross Sport with rack and guards
    STUNNING custom 953 Bob Jackson *sigh*
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    Nice bike, I can see why you want to keep it nice but seems to that when wanting to keep your bike mint stops you from riding you've got your priorities all wrong. Seems to me that you have two options
    1. just ride the damn thing, it's what you bought it for after all. Even in dry weather you're going to pick up stone chips etc. Use it. A lot. Then in time you can treat yourself to something new
    2. Buy a bad weather bike like the Ribble winter trainer. Then you can get guards etc on it too.

I ski quite a lot. When I got my first pair of skis I was very careful with them for a while (avoiding thin snow etc) then I realised - they're for skiing on, if they restrict where and when you go then that's self-defeating. I'm now completely relaxed about my skis - que sera and all that.

J
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    Actually, it's surprising how rare it is getting a thorough soaking even riding 2-3 hours a day. The main problem is leaving it out all day at work - that's when it gets wet.
    This is true.

May 2004 was the wettest month since records began. I was out on the bike every day - 7 mile e/w commute, 3 days a week 40-50mile return, 100-120 miles on a Sunday. I got rained on once! And it was only a short, very light shower.

If you're only going to ride in the dry what would you do if you've signed up for a ride and it starts raining in the middle of it? Abandon?

Personally, I draw the line when the gritters come out. Not so much because of salt, which can be washed off easily, but because of the grit. That's when the hack comes out.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • I understand your problem. I built up a Tarmac Expert, which is one of the pictures below. Problem was I only took it out 3 times because of the weather. It had 264miles on the clock when I sold it. I regret not using it a lot more.
    Get a cheap winter/wet/etc bike, something secondhand is perfect.
    Or get a Ti frame (http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/news/article/mps/uan/2548) and sell the Roubaix frame to finance it.... :lol::wink:

p.s. My Langster is so good, I use it all year round now.
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    You live in the wrong country to be doing this kind of thing though!!! :)
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • My road bike scares the s**t out of me in the rain - the skimpy 23mm tyres just aren't designed for it, so when it's wet I get the MTB out. It makes me enjoy the next road bike trip soooo much more since it is very satisfying to see much faster speeds with a lot less effort over much further distances. :lol:
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Blimey - if you didnt ride in the rain - you wouldnt improve much would you ?

Rain is fine, unless the visibility or spray is so bad that its dangerous to ride.

Road bikes are fine in the rain - look at the pros - they dont switch to MTBs when it showers do they ?

I do have a winterbike that gets the worst of the winter weather - but the good bike goes out in the rain too. No point in keeping it perfect - and I did hear that someone gets a new bike and then drops it to the floor straight off. That way he's not agonising over keeping it in its brand new state. Sensible guy.
  • The only really bad thing about wet weather riding is the fact that your brake blocks turn to paste and stop working, so you tug em a bit harder and then your wheels lock up :roll:
    The gear changing, helmet wearing fule.
    FCN :- -1
    Given up waiting for Fast as Fupp to start stalking me
  • Riding with a wet arse is no fun.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • boybiker - fantastic avatar.... :lol:
    Spring!
    Singlespeeds in town rule.
  • ...but it didn't work... :(
    Spring!
    Singlespeeds in town rule.
  • unclemalc wrote:
    ...but it didn't work... :(

You have to click it harder, nooo harder than that :roll:
  • Sometimes it's nicer to ride in the rain.
  • unclemalc wrote:

Works when I do it.
    Bikes are traffic.
  • unclemalc wrote:

Works when I do it.
    I bet you weren't expecting to see such a HUGE

er birthmark were you?