Where to get info about training?

skivebrems1
skivebrems1 Posts: 8
edited September 2008 in Training, fitness and health
Yo fellas.

When I want to know which drugs work wonders for reducing my blood pressure, I ask my doc and my doc keeps himself up to date by reading books. But those writing the books get their knowledge from publications, and that stuff is found in journals, some of which are published on the net.

Where do cyclists get their information about what the best training methods are? Which institutions do empirical research on endurance sports, or where can I find publications that tell me empirically how to train to maximize the potential I have? Is stuff like that published, or is it kept secret?

What I want to know is:
- how much do I need to train to reach my peak.
- how long do I have to take to get there/how fast can I increase mileage.
- at what intensity should I train, at what intensity should I ride intervals, should I ride intervals, how many, how long, when in the season, how many times a week, how large %-age of total training.
- the theoretical explanation for why you don't simply train just intervals or just base mileage- and the experiments explaining it.
- information on which testosterone-derivatives are safest.

If you have any clue, please reply in the thread, or even betta, send a mail to supertrollet@fastmail.fm

Comments

• synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    Well, the whole point is, if you train too much, you're likely to get more injuries...
    Oh, I see you have one post & aren't planning on sticking 'round here. :?
  • Yo fella

Try Floyd Landis. He has experience with exogenous Testosterone (a substance on the WADA banned list).

an email address of "supertroll"?
    :lol:
  • What about the question on training information sources/databases/publications/journals?

The email address is used for numerous other trolling accounts on the net when I am bored, nicely spotted. I didn't bother creating a new one for this web page.

By the way, exogenous testosterone isn't just "one" substance, there are many different ones, but from what I've gathered, they all significantly increase the risk of liver failure, cancer, altered blood lipids, shrunken nuts, roid rage and cardiomyopathy. I don't want that. I read somewhere on the net that the safety profile could be altered by changing sidechains on the cholesterol frame, but I've yet to find a confirmation on this. I thought chances were good somebody would send me a note about this here, or at least a link to another forum, if this is controversial.
  • What about the question on training information sources/databases/publications/journals?
    Have you done much searching yourself, like suggestions on reading material wrt training and exercise physiology? There are a number of threads on the topic. There are sports science institutes that have published much information. Google (and PubMed) is your friend.

Try other training forums as well. wattage forum at google groups, cyclingforums.com for some examples.

Testosterone is a banned substance for a good reason. It should only be administered with the advice of a medical professional for medical/health reasons.

If you want to discuss the use of doping products in training, I'm sure there are forums about that will do that but I certainly won't be participating. Its use for performance enhancement is illegal and unethical.
    Have you done much searching yourself, like suggestions on reading material wrt training and exercise physiology?There are a number of threads on the topic. There are sports science institutes that have published much information. Google (and PubMed) is your friend.
    I have only done a little searching, Alex. Using PubMed to search MEDLINE is tedious and takes shitloads of time. Are there any other databases specific to training? What about all the institutions, sports unions, where there are national coaches, and national teams? They gotta know a lot about how their boys train and dope. How come this information is so hard to get hold of?
    Try other training forums as well. wattage forum at google groups, cyclingforums.com for some examples.
    Thanks. I haven't found much useful on cyclingforums yet, but I have one link to a good doping forum.
    Testosterone is a banned substance for a good reason. It should only be administered with the advice of a medical professional for medical/health reasons.
    Ah, gimme a break. This autumn, if lightning doesn't strike me, and I get run over by a rampant bus driver, I am gonna be done with med school. NONE of my student colleagues know ANYTHING about steroids, except for cortisol. Dwain Chambers could teach a GP everything about doping correctly. Unless you are talking about an endocrinologist, they probably know a little, but I don't see myself asking a endocrinology professor about how I should dope.
    If you want to discuss the use of doping products in training, I'm sure there are forums about that will do that but I certainly won't be participating. Its use for performance enhancement is illegal and unethical.
    I know of one, that was linked to on cyclingforums, and that forum had more information concerning dosage of both EPO and testosterone than my 2004 Katzung Pharmacology book. But I don't know if I can trust the information there. It is not easy to find publications about the dosage and BENEFITS of doping, seems to me like people keep their mouths shut about that. I was specifically looking to see if I could increase mileage faster by taking testosterone. Taking testosterone is not illegal in all countries (I ain't from the UK) and as long as you are not organized, you can dope as much as you want, and then get a licence when you are done, all legal.

As for ethics, its hard to say anything about that, when you aren't telling anything about WHAT sort of ethics you are using as a frame of reference. You break social codes, but ethics is about right and wrong, and not just description of codes. As I am a non-cognitivist myself, ethics is plain BS, so there isn't really much to discuss.
  • Surely if you are a med student then you should have access to a proper medical library with al thisl sort of this information. Did you not have to do any research essays as part of your course?
    Are you actually wanting to participate in doping or are you just interested in finding out?
    Maybe your endocrinology professor could be a good starting point for innocent questions regarding the use and the effect on the body of these drugs...then you are on your own.
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • [quote="skivebrems1
    As for ethics, its hard to say anything about that, when you aren't telling anything about WHAT sort of ethics you are using as a frame of reference. You break social codes, but ethics is about right and wrong, and not just description of codes. As I am a non-cognitivist myself, ethics is plain BS, so there isn't really much to discuss.[/quote]

Don't rise to it Alex :wink:
    'How can an opinion be bullsh1t?' High Fidelity
  • fuzzynavel wrote:
    Surely if you are a med student then you should have access to a proper medical library with al thisl sort of this information. Did you not have to do any research essays as part of your course?
    No. Didn't have to. Did a few lab rotations, though, cuz I've been a little bit interested in working at the bench as well.
    Are you actually wanting to participate in doping or are you just interested in finding out?
    I want to dope, but I want to do as little research about it as I can. I am planning to work as a neurologist, and I am not looking to be a sports researcher. I just want to get in race-winning shape, as fast as I can. Preferably, some sports physiologist on this forum would cough up a site or book with summaries AND REFERENCES FOR EVIDENCE. Experience from forum members is good, but often biased or not very conclusive.
  • Preferably, some sports physiologist on this forum would cough up a site or book with summaries AND REFERENCES FOR EVIDENCE. Experience from forum members is good, but often biased or not very conclusive.

Information such as that costs money - you don't seem to be prepared to pay for the info so its unlikely you'll get it..
  • fuzzynavel wrote:
    Surely if you are a med student then you should have access to a proper medical library with al thisl sort of this information. Did you not have to do any research essays as part of your course?
    No. Didn't have to. Did a few lab rotations, though, cuz I've been a little bit interested in working at the bench as well.
    I want to dope, but I want to do as little research about it as I can. I am planning to work as a neurologist, and I am not looking to be a sports researcher. I just want to get in race-winning shape, as fast as I can. Preferably, some sports physiologist on this forum would cough up a site or book with summaries AND REFERENCES FOR EVIDENCE. Experience from forum members is good, but often biased or not very conclusive.

No essays!!! I smell bullshit F*** off and troll somewhere else.
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • I want to dope,
    That says it all really. :roll:
  • I want to dope

Find another forum, then.

This is not an acceptable line of inquiry here.

Topic locked.
    John Stevenson
This discussion has been closed.