Max Heart Rate

2»

Comments

• doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    doyler78 wrote:
    [quote="idaviesmoore
    What's good for you may not be good for others and just because you experience something one way doesn't mean everybody else has the same experience.

Steady son, it's just an opinion :)

Yes and I was given the alternative view :wink:
  • The problem with lidl/aldi type hrm, is that you can't set your max (or a level that you want to work around), so trying to train around your hr using something that doesn't allow you to enter a value is going to cause nothing but frustration.

I work around my max of 187 (a value measured with a hrm over many rides). I use the hrm to make sure I don't push myself too hard for too long on long rides. I don't stick it it religiously, I don't train in zones, (I don't train at all) but it is useful to see how hard you are pushing yourself, and also to see how hard you CAN push yourself (sometimes you can be surprised by how much more effort you can push out).

I try to ride in the 60-80% zone for most of a ride, knowing I've got and extra 20% to use for tougher sections.

But you have to have a hrm you can program and so can trust.

it's also useful to see how many calories I've burnt up so I can stuff myself stupid when I get home. "See love, I've got to replace 5000 kcal in the next ten minutes to recover properly!".

;)
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Cougar
    Cougar Posts: 100
    The definition of the word "Need" is "unable to do without".

We have evolved over millions of years and the body's mechanisms ensure that you can't over do it provided of course that you pay attention to what the body is telling you.

IOW feel and perceived effort. You don't "NEED" anything else.

Feeling tired and listless then don't train or do only light training. If you ignore the signs and overtrain then quite honestly you're just plain stupid. I don't believe that measuring power or heart rate makes any difference if you ignore what your body is telling you. By the way I have been plain stupid in the past myself but you learn from experience.

IMO all forms of mechanical measurement of effort would make not one iota of difference to my levels of training irrespective of whether it's an endurance ride or high level interval training. Consider Flat out intervals 30 second sprints or a 3 hour endurance ride or 8 minute intervals or tempo training or climbing a steep hill. If you can't adjust your effort according to your levels of fitness and length of ride then there's something wrong. Who needs a HRM to tell you go faster or slower?

Perceived effort, feel and recovery plus a bit of common sense are the keys to building fitness.
  • doyler78
    Cougar wrote:

We have evolved over millions of years and the body's mechanisms ensure that you can't over do it provided of course that you pay attention to what the body is telling you.

Feeling tired and listless then don't train or do only light training. If you ignore the signs and overtrain then quite honestly you're just plain stupid. I don't believe that measuring power or heart rate makes any difference if you ignore what your body is telling you. By the way I have been plain stupid in the past myself but you learn from experience.

IMO all forms of mechanical measurement of effort would make not one iota of difference to my levels of training irrespective of whether it's an endurance ride or high level interval training. Consider Flat out intervals 30 second sprints or a 3 hour endurance ride or 8 minute intervals or tempo training or climbing a steep hill. If you can't adjust your effort according to your levels of fitness and length of ride then there's something wrong. Who needs a HRM to tell you go faster or slower?

Perceived effort, feel and recovery plus a bit of common sense are the keys to building fitness.

Rubbish. How do you know how easy it is for others to tell the signs that there body is or isn't giving them?

Just because you can interpret what your body is telling doesn't mean everyone else does and to call me stupid because I don't understand it is frankly pretty stupid of you.

When I first joined my gym they set up training programs and would ask me question like on a scale of 1 to 10 what level of intensity is this speed on the treadmill. I just plucked figures out of the air because I hadn't the faintest notion.

Like many people who can visualise I have problem with that. You ask me to imagine a cat sitting on a table. I close my eyes and see nothing yet many people will see the cat on the table in vivid detail and they don't understand that I don't see anything. I have sense of what it would look like - its more a feeling than anything visual. What I am trying to say is that each person is different therefore what work for you doesn't necessarily work for others and just because you can't comprehend how anyone couldn't possible see that cat on the table or hard a piece of exercise is doesn't mean that they can't see or feel it.
  • doyler78 wrote:
    Cougar wrote:

Rubbish. How do you know how easy it is for others to tell the signs that there body is or isn't giving them?

Just because you can interpret what your body is telling doesn't mean everyone else does and to call me stupid because I don't understand it is frankly pretty stupid of you.

When I first joined my gym they set up training programs and would ask me question like on a scale of 1 to 10 what level of intensity is this speed on the treadmill. I just plucked figures out of the air because I hadn't the faintest notion.

Like many people who can visualise I have problem with that. You ask me to imagine a cat sitting on a table. I close my eyes and see nothing yet many people will see the cat on the table in vivid detail and they don't understand that I don't see anything. I have sense of what it would look like - its more a feeling than anything visual. What I am trying to say is that each person is different therefore what work for you doesn't necessarily work for others and just because you can't comprehend how anyone couldn't possible see that cat on the table or hard a piece of exercise is doesn't mean that they can't see or feel it.

:roll: This is getting out of hand...let's all be friends....it's the weekend :D
    'How can an opinion be bullsh1t?' High Fidelity
  • doyler78
    Well I have made my point twice now so I don't see any point in drawing it any more now either as it doesn't really help the OP.