chuffed with 20mph

kerz
kerz Posts: 37
i`ve been riding longer distances-usually 20 to 50 miles - since april when i bought myself a look kg461.before that i only ever rode my mtb or a alu cannondale to work and back.
i`m 39,weigh 13.5stone and 6ft tall and have always been reasonably fit. i started off averaging 18mph on an undulating route usually about 30 miles long.
yesterday i did a quick 24 miles and averaged over 20mph ,i am well chuffed with that.i only need a bottle of water to keep me going over that distance . i`m thinking of joining the local cycling club as it would be good to try and improve some more.
i`ve found that once i get tired i just need to concentrate on keeping the pace up and over the period of a few rides i`ve started to notice an improvement in my performance.
basically the more effort you put in will gradually show itself and you`ll be able to raise your goals. getting into cycling more seriosly is the best thing i`ve ever done.

Comments

• liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    Absolutely. You will need to start feeding yourself once your rides are a bit longer than 2-3 hours. If you go out with your local club I'd take along some sustainance just in case! At any rate you will learn lots about riding a bike by joining a club.

Just out of interest what got you into cycling and taking it more seriously?
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • jfwall
    jfwall Posts: 41
    Kerz,

Nice one! I'm still in the 18s so you give me hope as am similar in age and stature to you. Got my first (and last of the season) 10 T/T this week and am hoping to post below 29min as have only really started training seriously over the last few months after completing the Manchester-Blackpool ride. Did the course in 29.55 at the weekend so reckon I can get under 29mins. Not startling I know but it's a start for me and it'll keep me going over the cold winter months!

BTW Liversedge I got into cycling after trying to follow a ski guide offpiste and having to stop ever 50yds because I was so knackered. The guide cost me a few bob to have for the day and it was just wasted as I was so unfit :(