Femoroacetabular impingement

said the dr.
bollocks said I.

Anyone have any information about it.

A mate had to have a bloody big operation for it and has a foot long scar down his hip.

I'm told I can have it done using arthroscopy and have two weeks on crutches and 3 months to recover....

Comments

• unclemalc
    unclemalc Posts: 563
    (AKA: Femoral Acetabular Impingement)

What is it?

Femoroacetabular impingement or FAI is a condition of too much friction in the hip joint. Basically, the ball (femoral head) and socket (acetabulum) rub abnormally creating damage to the hip joint. The damage can occur to the articular cartilage (smooth white surface of the ball or socket) or the labral cartilage (soft tissue bumper of the socket).

FAI generally occurs as two forms: Cam and Pincer. The Cam form (Cam comes from the Dutch word meaning “cog”) describes the femoral head and neck relationship as aspherical or not perfectly round. This loss of roundness contributes to abnormal contact between the head and socket. The Pincer form (Pincer comes from the French word meaning “to pinch”) describes the situation where the socket or acetabulum has too much coverage of the ball or femoral head. This over-coverage typically exists along the front-top rim of the socket (acetabulum) and results in the labral cartilage being “pinched” between the rim of the socket and the anterior femoral head-neck junction. The Pincer form of the impingement is typically secondary to “retroversion”, a turning back of the socket, or “profunda”, a socket that is too deep. Most of the time, the Cam and Pincer forms exist together.

FAI is associated with cartilage damage, labral tears, early hip arthritis, hyperlaxity, sports hernias, and low back pain.

FAI is common in high level athletes, but also occurs in active individuals.

http://www.hipfai.com/

Fingers crossed... :?
    Spring!
    Singlespeeds in town rule.
  • thats the thing, I have the CAM type luckily he is suggesting the arthroscopic operation rather than the take the joint apart and cut open with a big knife that my mate had..
  • unclemalc
    unclemalc Posts: 563
    Although war-wounds are cool in some circles I found that If it can be done with the least 'invasion', recovery is SOOOOO much faster. I've had knees done that way.
    Hope it works out quickly, (cheap) and successfully.. :D
    Spring!
    Singlespeeds in town rule.