Focus Variado-too good to be true?

pmg001
pmg001 Posts: 22
edited February 2009 in Road beginners
After extensive research and much stalking of these forums, I think I have a fairly good idea of the bikes availible in the £600 range.

To me the focus variado seems to be by far the best equipped bike with 105 throughout.
This is much higher spec than the allez sport, trek 1.7, bianchi. scott spedster.

So my question is, before I cough up £616, whats the catch??
Is the frame not great?
Or is it just very good value?

Please tell me its the latter 'cos I really, really want it!!!!!

Comments

• it's b

If it seems too good to be true it probably is
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Don't listen to the Forum Expert, he's no expert.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • brit66
    brit66 Posts: 350
    IMO, Focus DO represent good value for money compared with the more established brands.

I bought one nearly 18 months ago (the Izalco not the Variado) and am extremely pleased with it. No similar specified bike came close to it in terms of price.

PS. The 105 groupset is excellent - just fitted it to my commuter bike.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Focus is one of a whole range of German manufacturers with very good value for money bikes that have started to export in recent years, although not all to the UK yet; Focus, Cube, Stevens, Bulls, Red Bull, Canyon, Trenga, etc. All incredibly good deals. The only explanation I've heard is that Germany is a large and very competitive market. Many of them getting very good reviews in tests, beating more established traditional manufacturers. The German national track team rides Focus.
    What they lack is character, style, history and originality...
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    FJS wrote:
    Character :?:

I assume by style & originality you refer to design, and by history you refer to a combination of age (and who has ridden it to race wins?).

But, in bike terms what is character ?
    Rich
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    RichA wrote:
    FJS wrote:
    Character :?:

I assume by style & originality you refer to design, and by history you refer to a combination of age (and who has ridden it to race wins?).

But, in bike terms what is character ?

I guess it refers to history and style in a way; maybe there's a better word, English is not my first language (lame excuse, I live here). The way I meant it was - a Maserati or Aston Martin have character, a Kia or Seat not so much; a De Rosa, Bianchi or Colnago do, a Cube, Focus or Stevens not so much. They're a bit much of a muchness... but what do you want t pay for that...
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    who gives one

for £600 thats a superb specced bike and it gooks good

go for it!

dont forget to budget for pedals etc
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    They are just very good value for money. The frame perhaps isn't the best but the equipment is the best you can get at that price.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • pmg001
    Cheers all!!

and it's pretty sexy I think!
  • 3legs
    3legs Posts: 30
    I bought a discounted '07 Variado Expert when the '08 models came out. I still can't believe what a bargain I ended up with :)

I've been very happy with the bike. The spec is superb (unbeatable?) for the price. It was obviously a bit of a gamble buying online, but their sizing information was spot on for me.

The thing that blew me away when it arrived was finding out that the pictures on Wiggle simply did not do it justice.

slightly off topic, but I liked it so much that I also bought a Focus MTB recently as well - again the overall package is excellent value.
  • steve@wiggle
    steve@wiggle Posts: 10
    edited August 2008
    Hi all,

I dont jump in to many posts as I dont think forums are the place for retailers but I wanted to follow up on 3legs post about our photos.... The pics on our site do not do the bikes justice and the variado is a classic example of a stunning looking bike. So as a short term fix we've taken a bunch of our Focus bikes out the front of the building in to the sun and took a few close ups. There's a link on the bike pages, here's a direct link to the Variado one: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/images/bikedetails/focus-variado-montage-08.jpg

What do you people think of us doing that? I like to think the crudeness of it keeps it real. Its not how the bike looks in a studio with artificial lighting.... its just how it looks in the flesh... or as close as it can online.

pmg001 - I hope you do go ahead with the Variado. It was a good price before we reduced it and now really is a steal. If you do get one jump back on BR and let people know what you think too.... cos you will love it!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    steel? I thought it was aluminium.

Oh, and the high res photos are a great idea; I've spent many a happy hour drooling over them. I want the Variado Expert because I hate the 105 chainset
  • jswba
    jswba Posts: 491
    Lovely photos, wigglepeople. Looks great
  • keef66 wrote:
    steel? I thought it was aluminium.

fair cop - updated!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    just been watching the mens sprint quarter finals (Hoy and Kenney through to semis) and the German winner was on a Focus. Probably a bit over budget though, and complete lack of brakes might be a concern.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I have an 06 Variado Expert and have been nothing short of delighted with it. For the money it is a stonkingly good bike.
  • schilbach
    schilbach Posts: 101
    Hi all,

I dont jump in to many posts as I dont think forums are the place for retailers but I wanted to follow up on 3legs post about our photos.... The pics on our site do not do the bikes justice and the variado is a classic example of a stunning looking bike. So as a short term fix we've taken a bunch of our Focus bikes out the front of the building in to the sun and took a few close ups. There's a link on the bike pages, here's a direct link to the Variado one: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/images/bikedetails/focus-variado-montage-08.jpg

What do you people think of us doing that? I like to think the crudeness of it keeps it real. Its not how the bike looks in a studio with artificial lighting.... its just how it looks in the flesh... or as close as it can online.

pmg001 - I hope you do go ahead with the Variado. It was a good price before we reduced it and now really is a steal. If you do get one jump back on BR and let people know what you think too.... cos you will love it!

Is true about the site photos. I bought a focus cayo and it looked a bit dull on the site..... Looked brilliant when it arrived!!
  • Eddyfire
    Eddyfire Posts: 72
    I've a quick related question - my work only deal with Halfords for Bike2Work but I believe I can order mostly any bike through their B2W team. Does that mean I would get Wiggle's sale price for one of these excellent Focus bikes?
    Trust the Rubber!
  • Eddyfire wrote:
    I've a quick related question - my work only deal with Halfords for Bike2Work but I believe I can order mostly any bike through their B2W team. Does that mean I would get Wiggle's sale price for one of these excellent Focus bikes?

Yeah, I think so, as wiggle are the only UK suppliers, Halfrauds have to buy direct from them. I'm sure Steve@wiggle will be along to confirm this, or prove me wrong! :D
    Boardman Road Comp '08
    Spesh FSR XC Expert '08
  • pmg001
    well I ordered the bike on saturday!

but after checking the website and it says that it is "not yet processed".

Anybody have any experience of ordering from wiggle?
    Do they usually get bikes delivered within the 2-3 days as they state?

Cheers
  • JC.152
    JC.152 Posts: 645
    Wiggle are normally really quick at delivering

I got my variado last year and its really been good in all of the races I've used it in, road races , TT's and circuits and won on it 2 weeks ago in a local road race

The only thing with it is that it has had water getting in to the frame once or twice, i don't know whether steve@wiggle or anyone else has had anything like this or know where water gets in?It could just be the seatpost or something and I'm not blaming the frame cos it is good and its easy to drain it again
  • pmg001
    Sent them an e-mail and got a reponse an hour or two later saying it had been dispatched!

Good service wiggle!
  • octav
    octav Posts: 50
    I can buy the Focus Variado frame +forks for a very nice price . I want to use them at my local races. Does anybody know what is the weight for the Focus Variado frame?(only for the frame)
  • hothead
    hothead Posts: 123
    I bought a varido expert 08 in the late summer and has been brilliant. As said in earlier posts the spec is superb for the proce and I think the bike looks the nuts. Also gets good comments from other people. Sizing was spot on for me (I'm 6ft 3) and so impressed with Wiggle.
  • bennj
    bennj Posts: 76
    I can't praise focus bikes and wiggle service enough!

I bought a Cayo ultegra last year, it turned up really quickly and is brilliant!

Had a problem with the chain 2 weeks in and emailed wiggle, they replied within the hour and a new chain was delivered the following day foc along with the promise of £20 for LBS if I could not fit the chain myself.

So in short I would recomend focus bikes and wiggle to anybody.
    STOP!......... Carry on!

Roadie FCN 2
    when commuting FCN 5
    MTB FCN 10
  • I have a Cuelbro and my wife liked it so much I bought her an 08 Variado. Cracking piece of kit, well specced, really nice riding frames, decent carbon forks... and the best thin is Wiggles service. I believe if you buy a new model Focus (or Kiron as well?) from them you can ride it for a while, and if you no like, you can send it back for a full refund! Who else does that?
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    According to Wiggle website they only have size XS in stock with the rest discontinued. So yes it may be too good to be true.

Cracking bike though and you would have to ask why would you want to pay more??
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    They are nice bikes - I'd rather have one than the equivalent Trek. I'd also look at the Planet X SL Clubman if it's still available. Ribble have some good buys too.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • octav
    octav Posts: 50
    Is this frame good enough for my local bike races ? I have a Campy Centaur groupset and Fsa RD-600 wheels. A also found a Merida frame but I find the Variado better. I would like the Culebro frame but the bike stores doesn't sell it separately.
  • JC.152
    JC.152 Posts: 645
    octav wrote:
    Is this frame good enough for my local bike races ? I have a Campy Centaur groupset and Fsa RD-600 wheels. A also found a Merida frame but I find the Variado better. I would like the Culebro frame but the bike stores doesn't sell it separately.

the frame on the variado seems to be pretty good, not sure on just the frames weight and normally most places only sell them as complete bikes so you can't tell

I might be wrong but I think the alu focus bikes use the same frame just with different parts(105,ultegra/sram)

How much are you thinking of buying the variado frame for?