Creakings, clickings, tickings, clankings and knockings.

Comments

• fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    What do you put on your chain ring bolts ?

I took the old double chain ring off and and the bolts had blue locktite on them .... replaced with new chain ring and new bolts + locktite but now they click under load ... tightened them up .. and it stopped for a bit .. but now clicks again. and I cant tighten them any more.

so how do you stop them from creaking/clicking ... should I get rid of the Loctite and use something else ? .. or nothing
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    I use........ naff all on my chain ring bolts.

Sure it's not your pedals?
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Ryan_W wrote:

Sure it's not your pedals?

I don't think you can ever be sure with bike noises ..... I'll swap them out though quickly tonight though to make sure .. that's only a 2 minute job to test other than the 10 mins to deal with the bolts

cheers

nothing sounds good .. I dont use anything on the single speed and that's as quiet as a mouse .... well , there is creaking but that's my knees !
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    I don't use anything on my bikes apart from assembly paste on my pedal spindles and grease on the BB bearings / shell.

One thing I found was swapping out my Look Keo Grip cleats to the non-grip version reduced random noises.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • Hello all.

Wonder if some one can help.
    Brand new group set di2 ultegra. 1 month old. First real wet ride yesterday. Got home and used park tools chain device to clean chain, with washing up liquid. Rinsed thouroughly and lubed and dried.
    Also degreased cassette and rinsed. So all good.
    Half way into 13 mile commute most annoying squeak starts, and stays with me all way to work.
    Same on way home.
    This evening have had bike on the stand, discovered that the very annoying squeak is coming from the rear mech/jockey wheels. So have removed them, cleaned and even greased before placing back in situ.
    Guess what. The squeak is still present! It’s so annoying and a high pitch squeak too!

Anyone have any ideas on this one at all?? Really at a loss on this bearing in mind age of groupset etc.

Thanks,
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Is the squeak coming from the jockey wheel bearings, or from the chain as it passes over the wheels? Quite common for the chain to be dry inside the pins where the links rotate, and it rotates most as it passes over the jockey wheels
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    You cleaned the chain with washing up liquid, rinsed with water, lubed and then dried it in that order? And then degreased and rinsed the cassette in-situ? What lube and how much?

I'd say it's either the chain squeaking or you've washed the grease out of a hub or freehub bearing when degreasing the cassette.
  • So I get a tink ,tink sound randomly, in lower gears, usually as I bear down on the pedals
    I have been thru many many posts and videos, troubleshot and tried fixes. No help.

This is a toughie for two reasons:
    1. On the stand-unable to duplicate.
    2. If I were able to pin point the area the "tinking" sound is coming from that would be key. As is, how do you do that while riding the bike? I want to get an ear right next to the origin. Riding next to me does not help. I do not have an inside trainer set up either.

Any ideas? I'll give anything a go.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,495
    E.MarkE. wrote:
    So I get a tink ,tink sound randomly, in lower gears, usually as I bear down on the pedals
    I have been thru many many posts and videos, troubleshot and tried fixes. No help.

This is a toughie for two reasons:
    1. On the stand-unable to duplicate.
    2. If I were able to pin point the area the "tinking" sound is coming from that would be key. As is, how do you do that while riding the bike? I want to get an ear right next to the origin. Riding next to me does not help. I do not have an inside trainer set up either.

Any ideas? I'll give anything a go.

As you can't duplicate when on the stand, the first thing I'd check is the saddle rails - are they tight enough or loose causing the noise?. Does it do it when you're out of the saddle?
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Thanks for the words. Long between responses so I forged ahead.

Here is what I have realized/done:
    Get the fact that aluminum frames resonate-TINK sound NOT CREAK is my issue.

My seat post, rails, etc. all investigated;
    Cleats are noiseless;
    BB checked and good;
    all bolts torqued including bar stem and bars to specs;
    no rubbing on the front mech or cranks on the frame
    QR front and rear investigated;
    hanger bolt investigated;
    spokes and anything spoke related investigated.
    no visible frame cracks or warp.
    Drove my buds crazy asking them to help me troubleshoot.
    Spent many hours and not too much money on new parts.
    Called in favors from my certified mechanic.

Chain replaced. Checked for stiff links etc.
    50/34 rings swapped for new ones.
    spider and bolts all lubed and taken care of.

My ride has 0 CREAKS. Cool.

So today, no rain, time for a shakeout ride andwill see what the result is of the chain ring swap.

Thanks. I'll take any other ideas other than mentioned above and consider them.

M.
  • Hi, new to the forum and bikeradar and this is my first post.
    I have a slight knocking noise coming from my cranks/bottom bracket area and I am unsure what it is. It happens repetitively after every spin of the cranks on the same point on each spin, and this is just when I'm turning them by hand.
    I have checked for any loose bolts and can't find any so I am not sure what it is causing this light knocking noise. Btw the bike is basically brand new. Any help or info will be much appreciated.
  • This is more of a ping. I just built a Lynskey R240. I scored the frame and fork set from a sad fellow that never got to build it. I had ridden several times during the week and everything was so perfect and quiet. At the end of the week I road with my buds in a group ride and there it was, a ringing, pinging sound when rolling over rough chip seal.

Back home on my solo rides the sound continued. It is the exposed rear brake cable slapping the top tube between the housing stops. I put 3 rubber donuts on the cable when I installed the cable but they don't seem to help, in fact, they make that ti tube ring like a bell.

Several of our group swear by Chapstick to silence creaky cleats/pedals. I had a similar problem with shoes. The creaking only showed up after about 45 minutes of riding. It was the Velcro straps where they passed through the metal loops. Chapstick might've worked but I used petroleum jelly.

A rattle that has plagued me comes from the brake and shifter cables crossing one another in front of the head tube. I just can't seem to get them to not touch. When I install the housing they do not but after riding a bit - annoying rattle.
  • Hi everyone,

Real newbie question here, but interested to hear what people think.

Just got my first road bike a few days ago (Giant Contend 2) and I only seem to be able to be in a few gears without there being a real whirring noise. Seems worse when I’m in the easiest front ring and harder rear rings and vice versa (sorry, I don’t even know the terminology), so I’m guessing it’s some sort of strain on the system.

But should you only be able to use a few gears without a noise? Just seems a bit strange to have about 16 gears, but for only a few of them to be smooth.

Thanks a lot.
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    JoshH79 wrote:
    Hi everyone,

Real newbie question here, but interested to hear what people think.

Just got my first road bike a few days ago (Giant Contend 2) and I only seem to be able to be in a few gears without there being a real whirring noise. Seems worse when I’m in the easiest front ring and harder rear rings and vice versa (sorry, I don’t even know the terminology), so I’m guessing it’s some sort of strain on the system.

But should you only be able to use a few gears without a noise? Just seems a bit strange to have about 16 gears, but for only a few of them to be smooth.

Thanks a lot.

Have search on google for something called cross chaining noise, it should explain your problem, it sounds like the chain is catching on your fd
  • JoshH79 wrote:
    "Seems worse when I’m in the easiest front ring and harder rear rings and vice versa"
    and
    "Just seems a bit strange to have about 16 gears, but for only a few of them to be smooth."
    My first guess is you are hearing the chain rubbing on the front derailleur cage when in extreme gear selections, i.e. large chain wheel and large cog or small chain wheel and small cog. This can and should be adjusted to eliminate the drag, but and this is important those 2 gear selections should be avoided as they put maximum strain on the gears and chain causing premature wear. It is called cross chaining.
  • Hi LD and ORR,

Thanks a lot for your quick replies. It's much appreciated.

Yep, I try to avoid those two extreme combinations, but even before I get to those I'm hearing quite loud whirring/ticking etc. It's like I can only use very few gears without extra noises.

So it sounds like I need to adjust (or more likely pay to have adjusted!) the FD?

Thanks very much again.
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Josh, have a look to see if you have an in-line barrel adjuster on the fd cable, is so you can adjust it yourself, Have a look at this
    http://www.cyclist.co.uk/tutorials/520/ ... adjustment
  • Thanks Dave, that’s really handy.

I’ve got a bit of a track record with simple jobs, though, so I may still take it to a bike shop.

Tredz have been very decent and said they’ll cover a bill of up to £35 since I bought it online and they’re in South Wales and I’m in Derby :)

Thanks again.
  • Clicking sound, even though it mat seem to come from the front of the bike, might be the pedals, which developed a slight amount of play in them/ the cleat might be worn out.
  • drlodge
    I just realised that the creakings/clickings that I thought were coming from my bottom bracket were in fact emanating from my freehub bearings.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    Creaking rear hub when putting power down heading uphill - cleaned and greased the bearings and reassembled the axel following the advice that you should leave a small amount of play if it is a QR hollow axle as the QR tightens things up, but it seems as poor as ever. Was that sensible advice, or should the cup / cones be tightened so there is zero play at all?

Could be spokes too, so will take down to LBS for them to investigate.

Changed QR skewer too recently, from the one that came with the bike to one which is compatible with the turbo - could that be contributing to things?
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • drlodge
    larkim wrote:
    Creaking rear hub when putting power down heading uphill - cleaned and greased the bearings and reassembled the axel following the advice that you should leave a small amount of play if it is a QR hollow axle as the QR tightens things up, but it seems as poor as ever. Was that sensible advice, or should the cup / cones be tightened so there is zero play at all?

Could be spokes too, so will take down to LBS for them to investigate.

Changed QR skewer too recently, from the one that came with the bike to one which is compatible with the turbo - could that be contributing to things?

I've had this kind of creaking and its been 1 of 2 things:
    - knackered freehub bearings
    - quick release not done up tight enough.
    Find me on Strava
  • bigmul
    bigmul Posts: 208
    Ticking from a wheel. Seems it ticks once per revolution when at speed, doesn't matter if I'm freewheeling or pedalling, still get it.

I've tried spinning both wheels but nothing, only when on the bike. Could bearings tick once per wheel revolution?
  • When pedaling, if I stop shuffle back very slightly there is a loud metallic clunk when I start pedaling forwards again. I'm also hearing a similar noise when I'm going over rough ground. Is this a hub or bottom bracket issue?
  • keef66
    theboyfold wrote:
    When pedaling, if I stop shuffle back very slightly there is a loud metallic clunk when I start pedaling forwards again. I'm also hearing a similar noise when I'm going over rough ground. Is this a hub or bottom bracket issue?

Sounds like a freehub issue
  • keef66
    bigmul wrote:
    Ticking from a wheel. Seems it ticks once per revolution when at speed, doesn't matter if I'm freewheeling or pedalling, still get it.

I've tried spinning both wheels but nothing, only when on the bike. Could bearings tick once per wheel revolution?
    Could it be a valve stem clicking in the rim? Loading the bike / riding it will compress the tyre / tube. Does it happen at the same point? ie when the valve is at the bottom?

But of electrical tape around the valve stem can cure it if so.
  • Hi all. Please go easy, I'm a newbie (to the forum and cycling!)...

I have a hybrid. Nothing fancy, I picked it up second hand for £60. It's a Mongoose 450 - if that means anything to you lot. I'm considering investing in something better now I've "tried" cycling and enjoy it - and use it for my commute to work most of the time these days. However, for now, that's what I've got.

I'm doing The Great North Bike Ride next weekend (26 Aug) after foolishly signing myself up. I cycle 5 miles to work, 10 miles a day, and so obviously that meant in my head I could do 60 miles on the bounce with just 7 weeks prep. Anyway, that's where I'm at. I've still only gone as far as 26 miles, but that's another story. I need some help to make sure my bike is physically and mechanically fit for next week. I've had it serviced at Halfords, but to be honest they ripped my eyeballs out and they haven't really improved it. Won't be going there again.

It now seems my rear wheel is buckled. It "wobbles" when I turn the bike upside down and spin the wheel. It also sticks - quite badly actually - and comes to a fairly abrupt stop. This investigation came about after hearing a squeak from the rear on my last few rides.

So my questions are: (1) are the squeak and buckled wheel related and if so how do I fix a buckled wheel? (2) if not related to the buckled wheel, what else might the squeak be?
    Also if you have any tips on how to make it round 60 miles without keeling over that'd be grand...

Cheers
  • Bumo_b
    Bumo_b Posts: 211
    Had a creak every half pedal revolution. Did all the normal remedies. Turns out the rear hanger was creaking against the frame. Bit of grease on the faces, thread lock on the bolts set at 5nm and two weeks o creak chasing sorted. Drove me nuts, was sure it was BB.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I have creaking , bearing sounding noise whenever the cranks are turned when I am on the bike pedalling that seems to come from the bottom bracket. It happens in any gear / chain ring and even if you pedal forwards or backwards too slow to drive the back wheel. When the bike free wheels it is silent. Nothing has been adjusted or changed to cause the problem.

Below is a list of what has been tried or looked at and any suggestions welcome.

Bottom bracket looks fine
    All bolts are greased and tight
    Tried pedals and saddle from silent bike and still get noise. The saddle and pedals from this bike are silent on another bike.
    On the work stand it is not possible to reproduce the noise by spinning the pedals
    Wheel spins smoothly, greased and there is no play, noise etc.
    Headset bearings are fine, greased, smooth with no play.
    I can see nothing that is catching anything like cable ends catching the pedals etc.
    Chainrings are bolted on properly.
    The disc brakes do not rub and work perfectly.
    The chain is not catching the front derailleur / , mech
    Jockey wheels on rear derailleur / mech are bolted in properly and seem smooth.
    Cranks are on with no play.
    There is nothing on the bike e.g. bottle cages, saddle bag etc. removed and still does it.

Any suggestions appreciated.
  • Bumo_b
    Bumo_b Posts: 211
    As I said earlier, try greasing the face of the derailleur hanger with the appropriate grease (carbon/alu frame specific). Worked for me