Catastrophic Stem Failure

2»

Comments

• term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    roadiesean wrote:

Only ever used Thomson stems and posts since this.

Even a 'fit and forget' Thomson X2 stem isn't perfect. A few years back at the end of a sportive in the Swiss Alps when the cable ties holding the number/chip to my handlebars was being cut off, the lady with the snips looked at the face plate, and then me and shook her head. The top of the face plate had a crack running through the bolt hole. Cue sinking feeling in stomach thinking about those switchbacks on the descents. I did, however, just replace the face plate, and no issues since.
  • Thanks for the message. I spoke to lawyers from British Cycling, but they weren’t interested because the value of possible damages was so small (no time off work, no permanent injury). So far deda haven’t replied to me, so i’ve just done a bit of twitter spamming in the hope it will help.

I understand the other reply, that other manufacturers stems can fail, and I agree, but clearly there is a problem with deda. Just search ‘tompson’ Or ‘fizik’ along with ‘stem failure’ and you just get the odd page of a story about bolt failure or cracks. If you do ‘deda’ you get a large number of case reports, often with photos, and they all look the same and relate to the zero 100 model. Clearly there is a problem with this specific model. Personally I will never buy a deda product again, not least because they haven’t addressed my issue in a timely manner.

I do also fear for others that are using this particular stem....if you are using one please do the google searches I’ve described and make your own decision.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    I have ran Deda Zero 100 stems on both my road bikes for years without issue. I torque them to 5Nm using a torque wrench. I also have a Deda Superzero stem on another bike and use 5nm and carbon paste as the bars are carbon. The bars are rock solid at 5Nm so I cant see the need for any higher torque value.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    My Deda Zero 100 was showing severe signs of corrosion (one of the corners had corroded off) when I removed it.