Shaving

2»

Comments

• Some people seem to be advocating that you use an epliator. Dont do it! I can still remember helping my first (proper) gf to move into her flat in 1989. I found her rather unused epilator and asked her why she didnt use it but shaved instead. She smiled, plugged it in grabbed my hand (I didnt resist, why would I? How much can it hurt?) switched it on and applied it to the back of my hand, for half a second.

All the infected road rash in the world would not have hurt as much!
  • Parsnip49
    Parsnip49 Posts: 205
    Racing season - yes

Off season - strim with the clippers set to a no.2

I go just above the bibs, any higher and i get minging razor rash.
  • steerpike
    steerpike Posts: 424
    i cannot believe it makes any difference to all but the top professionals who need to shave (pardon the pun) fractions of seconds off their times. Surely it's a bit queer? I certainly will never do it.
  • jezcc
    jezcc Posts: 111
    Jesse D is right.

Massages with hair = pain

So there are a few reasons to shave, but there are other reasons to not shave. unless I'm going for a series of sports massages, I'm not shaving.
    FCN 4-6 depending

2008 Rocky Mountain ETSX
    2008 Ribble
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    steerpike wrote:
    i cannot believe it makes any difference to all but the top professionals who need to shave (pardon the pun) fractions of seconds off their times. Surely it's a bit queer? I certainly will never do it.

no dude- a bit 'queer' is when youre sexually attracted to people of the same sex- the absence of hair on any part of youre body has no bearing on this

but im sure youre aware of that?
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • steerpike
    steerpike Posts: 424
    I have no issue those attracted to the same sex and count some amongst my friends. I do, however, think men who shave their legs are a bit on the odd side - cycling fanatics or no. What next, plucking eyebrows?
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    cyclists ARE odd!

i also wear lipstick in the winter (its clear and tastes of mint!)

sosumi :o
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    shave=membership its that simple

shaving is an arbitrary tradition..

arbitrary rules should be followed otherwise what's the point?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    note its also tradition not too shave your face on a expected hard day.. because it weakens you

but your legs must still be shaved

no logos unless your sponsored or its your club jersey.. so no csc jerseys or whatever

no coloured ankle socks unless your sponsored. discrete black sub ankle trainer liners are permissable as long as no one notices

non bib lycra on men=disallowed

non bib lycra is for women.

... I'm glad to see facial hair such as goatees and the such like are no longer fashionable in the pro bunch...

landis goatee and green lycra... no wonder he tested positive...

also wearing yellow lycra to match the jersey... no body should be allowed to ride into paris wearing colour co-ordinated lycra to a classement jersey.

I could go on
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • unclemalc
    unclemalc Posts: 563
    Oh no - as a 'roadie' its hard enough to get non-roadies to say hello because we are not perceived to be in the same 'club/tribe/whatever'.
    Now I have to check within the 'roadie' clan members I see whether they are 'shaved'.
    Its enough to make me fall off my bike, get a bad case of rash and therefore wish I 'd shaved... :shock:
    Spring!
    Singlespeeds in town rule.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    steerpike wrote:
    I have no issue those attracted to the same sex and count some amongst my friends. I do, however, think men who shave their legs are a bit on the odd side - cycling fanatics or no. What next, plucking eyebrows?

I'm not a homophobe, I have a gay friend... :roll:

Tehe, is there anything you can say other than, actually I'm a huge knob jockey.

And yes I pluck my eyebrows, otherwise i get horrific monobrow!
  • Campy King
    Campy King Posts: 201
    Just do whatever you feel comfortable with 8)
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Official Rules of the Euro Cyclist-
    4. Legs will be SHAVED year-round. ABSOLUTELY NO EXCEPTIONS. Certain hair removal creams are endorsed only on a case-by-case basis. One shall never show up to a race (large or small) with ANY AMOUNT of stubble visible on legs.

To shave or not too shave.... WWMD (what would mario do?)

I think thats reason enough.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson