Forum home Road cycling forum Training, fitness and health

Climbing on 10% gradient for 15 km...

bianchi77bianchi77 Posts: 63
edited August 2008 in Training, fitness and health
Sometimes, when I'm climbing in 10% to 15% gradient, how much power do I need for 12 km/h ? How can I maintain / train my breath ?
I lose my breath if it's long long long climb ...

Anyone has same experience with me...how to overcome that ?
Viva Cycling forever !
Train Hard, Rest harder

Thanks,
Regards
http://www.rickoshop.com/

Posts

  • bianchi77 wrote:
    Sometimes, when I'm climbing in 10% to 15% gradient, how much power do I need for 12 km/h ? How can I maintain / train my breath ?
    I lose my breath if it's long long long climb ...

    Anyone has same experience with me...how to overcome that ?
    All these questions about "how much power" can be answered by yourself by using the sites that estimate power from entering in the variables.

    No one here can do that for you since we don't have all the relevant information.

    go here:
    http://www.analyticcycling.com/

    And check out the power from speed calculator.

    If climbing for that long then you are experiencing lower air density (and hence less oxygen available) at high altitudes. That can make breathing harder and certainly the ability to generate power falls as we get higher up.
  • bianchi77bianchi77 Posts: 63
    bianchi77 wrote:
    Sometimes, when I'm climbing in 10% to 15% gradient, how much power do I need for 12 km/h ? How can I maintain / train my breath ?
    I lose my breath if it's long long long climb ...

    Anyone has same experience with me...how to overcome that ?
    All these questions about "how much power" can be answered by yourself by using the sites that estimate power from entering in the variables.

    No one here can do that for you since we don't have all the relevant information.

    go here:
    http://www.analyticcycling.com/

    And check out the power from speed calculator.

    If climbing for that long then you are experiencing lower air density (and hence less oxygen available) at high altitudes. That can make breathing harder and certainly the ability to generate power falls as we get higher up.

    So I must practicing the power in my trainer ?
    Can you suggest me what type of power trainer should I buy ?
    What's the name ? How much ?
    Viva Cycling forever !
    Train Hard, Rest harder

    Thanks,
    Regards
    http://www.rickoshop.com/
  • richaricha Posts: 2,020
    10-15% gradient. For 15km. @12kph!!!.

    That is some serious performance.

    If you weren't getting out of breath I'd be suprised.
  • bianchi77bianchi77 Posts: 63
    richa wrote:
    10-15% gradient. For 15km. @12kph!!!.

    That is some serious performance.

    If you weren't getting out of breath I'd be suprised.

    It's normal if I'm out of breath...it's a hard climb for me...any solution / train to improve it ?
    Vo2 max ? trainer ? power trainer ?
    Viva Cycling forever !
    Train Hard, Rest harder

    Thanks,
    Regards
    http://www.rickoshop.com/
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 28,799
    bianchi77 wrote:
    richa wrote:
    10-15% gradient. For 15km. @12kph!!!.

    That is some serious performance.

    If you weren't getting out of breath I'd be suprised.

    It's normal if I'm out of breath...it's a hard climb for me...any solution / train to improve it ?
    Vo2 max ? trainer ? power trainer ?

    Just a question...where exactly is this climb which is 10-15% average for 15km?....as far as I know theres not a climb of that severity in all Europe....I just did Pico Las Nieves the steep way in Gran Canaria and it boasts a middle section of 10% average for the middle 8kms and its regarded as one of the uber climbs....I'm having a pop at the Mortirolo soon aswell and it is 10.5% avg for 12kms.....the Angliru and Zoncolon offer event steeper gradients but not for anything like 15kms?....a climb of the severity you speak off would have 90% guys off there bikes even with triples...Bwlch Y Groes and Hardknott Pass offer 15-16% averages for only a couple of Km's and destroy most riders....
  • dennisndennisn Posts: 10,420
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    bianchi77 wrote:
    richa wrote:
    10-15% gradient. For 15km. @12kph!!!.

    That is some serious performance.

    If you weren't getting out of breath I'd be suprised.

    It's normal if I'm out of breath...it's a hard climb for me...any solution / train to improve it ?
    Vo2 max ? trainer ? power trainer ?

    Just a question...where exactly is this climb which is 10-15% average for 15km?....as far as I know theres not a climb of that severity in all Europe....I just did Pico Las Nieves the steep way in Gran Canaria and it boasts a middle section of 10% average for the middle 8kms and its regarded as one of the uber climbs....I'm having a pop at the Mortirolo soon aswell and it is 10.5% avg for 12kms.....the Angliru and Zoncolon offer event steeper gradients but not for anything like 15kms?....a climb of the severity you speak off would have 90% guys off there bikes even with triples...Bwlch Y Groes and Hardknott Pass offer 15-16% averages for only a couple of Km's and destroy most riders....

    I was wondering that myself and I'm from the states.
    Sounds a bit much.

    Dennis Noward
  • richaricha Posts: 2,020
    bianchi77 wrote:
    It's normal if I'm out of breath...it's a hard climb for me...any solution / train to improve it ?
    You are already climbing at a speed that most of us would aspire to.

    If you don't want to be out of breath, how about...

    Practice Hill Repeats/Specificity
    15km @ 12kph >>> 1hr 15mins. That's a pretty good workout. Keep practicing this and soon you should be able to go either (i) faster, or (ii) the same pace with a lower load on your breathing.
  • dennisndennisn Posts: 10,420
    dennisn wrote:
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    bianchi77 wrote:
    richa wrote:
    10-15% gradient. For 15km. @12kph!!!.

    That is some serious performance.

    If you weren't getting out of breath I'd be suprised.

    It's normal if I'm out of breath...it's a hard climb for me...any solution / train to improve it ?
    Vo2 max ? trainer ? power trainer ?

    Just a question...where exactly is this climb which is 10-15% average for 15km?....as far as I know theres not a climb of that severity in all Europe....I just did Pico Las Nieves the steep way in Gran Canaria and it boasts a middle section of 10% average for the middle 8kms and its regarded as one of the uber climbs....I'm having a pop at the Mortirolo soon aswell and it is 10.5% avg for 12kms.....the Angliru and Zoncolon offer event steeper gradients but not for anything like 15kms?....a climb of the severity you speak off would have 90% guys off there bikes even with triples...Bwlch Y Groes and Hardknott Pass offer 15-16% averages for only a couple of Km's and destroy most riders....

    I was wondering that myself and I'm from the states.
    Sounds a bit much.

    Dennis Noward

    After re-reading it would seem that he didn't claim 15 KM(@ 10%-15%) but did say long, long, long climb. However far that is??? I mean, a mile at 10% seems long, long, long if
    memory serves me right.

    Dennis Noward
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 28,799
    After re-reading it would seem that he didn't claim 15 KM(@ 10%-15%) but did say long, long, long climb. However far that is??? I mean, a mile at 10% seems long, long, long if
    memory serves me right.

    Dennis Noward[/quote]

    Look at the actual name of the Topic....

    Climbing on 10% gradient for 15 km...
  • dennisndennisn Posts: 10,420
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    After re-reading it would seem that he didn't claim 15 KM(@ 10%-15%) but did say long, long, long climb. However far that is??? I mean, a mile at 10% seems long, long, long if
    memory serves me right.

    Dennis Noward

    Look at the actual name of the Topic....

    Climbing on 10% gradient for 15 km...[/quote]

    Ya got me. If there was such a climb I can pretty much guarantee that my spinal column
    would be laying on the road about 1/4 of the way up. :):)

    Dennis Noward
  • BronzieBronzie Posts: 4,927
    Mortirolo comes close

    Mortirolo%20(Mazzo).gif
  • richaricha Posts: 2,020
    Just 12.4k @ 10.5%. Pah.
  • dennisndennisn Posts: 10,420
    Bronzie wrote:
    Mortirolo comes close

    Mortirolo%20(Mazzo).gif


    Nothing to it. Piece of cake.

    Dennis Noward
  • broachboybroachboy Posts: 417
    dennisn wrote:

    Nothing to it. Piece of cake.

    Dennis Noward

    :shock:

    Dennis we're talking descending here right ?

    :wink:
    Regards

    Andy B

    Colnago Active 2004

    Guerciotti Alero 2008

    Cinelli Vigorelli Road 2018

    Colnago C60 PLWH 2018
  • dennisndennisn Posts: 10,420
    broachboy wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

    Nothing to it. Piece of cake.

    Dennis Noward

    :shock:

    Dennis we're talking descending here right ?

    :wink:

    If climbing it didn't kill me I'm sure that the speeds on the descent would SCARE the life out of me. I've been up and down a 10% grade(one mile long) and It's out of the saddle most of the way up and damn fast on the way down. Hard to imagine one like your
    chart shows. Looks just plain brutal(both ways).

    Dennis Noward
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 28,799
    dennisn wrote:
    Bronzie wrote:
    Mortirolo comes close

    Mortirolo%20(Mazzo).gif


    Nothing to it. Piece of cake.

    Dennis Noward

    I'll let yoy know how it was in 6 weeks time....we are spending a week in the Dolomites and one day sees us attempt the Mortirolo from Mazzo :shock: and afterwards we have the simple task of over the Gavia from Ponte Legno...will be a very interesting day...I feel the Mortirolo will test my sould...but it will have to go a long way to supersede the Climb I recently did in in Gran Canaria...the crazy steep Pico Nieves from Carrizal...
  • The place is called Tanjakan Pratista and Tangkuban Parahu Mountain...
    Viva Cycling forever !
    Train Hard, Rest harder

    Thanks,
    Regards
    http://www.rickoshop.com/
  • What I know is I'm climbing form the 700m too 2000 m.....it's up and down, mostly ascending...
    Viva Cycling forever !
    Train Hard, Rest harder

    Thanks,
    Regards
    http://www.rickoshop.com/
  • mrushtonmrushton Posts: 5,182
    The Colle san Carlo nr. La Thuile boasts an average of 10% over 10km. It's classed as a 'chronotest' and is kindly provided with a post every km detailing elevation, av.gradient for the next km and distance to the end. The hairpins don't flatten out so you have to keep going or risk unclipping on a gradient. The climb sets out at 13% and doesn't go below 9% until the last 500m. Great descent into La Thuile tho' and if you went down the way you've come up some pro-rider was actually killed doing the descent if you are interested in that sort of thing.
    M.Rushton
  • mrushton wrote:
    The Colle san Carlo nr. La Thuile boasts an average of 10% over 10km. It's classed as a 'chronotest' and is kindly provided with a post every km detailing elevation, av.gradient for the next km and distance to the end. The hairpins don't flatten out so you have to keep going or risk unclipping on a gradient. The climb sets out at 13% and doesn't go below 9% until the last 500m. Great descent into La Thuile tho' and if you went down the way you've come up some pro-rider was actually killed doing the descent if you are interested in that sort of thing.

    Where is it ? in France ?
    I'm not in Europe...
    Viva Cycling forever !
    Train Hard, Rest harder

    Thanks,
    Regards
    http://www.rickoshop.com/
  • mrushtonmrushton Posts: 5,182
    Head up the Aosta valley (Italy) from Aosta to Coeurmayer (Mt.Blanc) to Morgex and then turn left. You are actually on the French/Italian border so if you do the climb, drop into La Thuile then go up the Petit San Bernard you come to the border and then descend (a glorious one I may add :D ) into Bourg St.Maurice where you could then go left to the Iseran or right over the Cormet de Roselend
    M.Rushton
  • broachboybroachboy Posts: 417
    bianchi77 wrote:
    The place is called Tanjakan Pratista and Tangkuban Parahu Mountain...

    bianchi77 is this what your riding up...?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tangkuban_Perahu

    Be careful dude, I hope it don't start to erupt while your riding up :shock: :? The descent would be awesome with tons of lava chasing you :twisted: :wink:
    Regards

    Andy B

    Colnago Active 2004

    Guerciotti Alero 2008

    Cinelli Vigorelli Road 2018

    Colnago C60 PLWH 2018
  • Viva Cycling forever !
    Train Hard, Rest harder

    Thanks,
    Regards
    http://www.rickoshop.com/
  • broachboy wrote:
    bianchi77 wrote:
    The place is called Tanjakan Pratista and Tangkuban Parahu Mountain...

    bianchi77 is this what your riding up...?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tangkuban_Perahu

    Be careful dude, I hope it don't start to erupt while your riding up :shock: :? The descent would be awesome with tons of lava chasing you :twisted: :wink:

    That's right dude, there're many "Kawah" above ....the steepest called Kawah Ratu,
    I climb from Cimahi through Cisarua, Lembang,Cikole then Kawah Ratu...the summit...
    Viva Cycling forever !
    Train Hard, Rest harder

    Thanks,
    Regards
    http://www.rickoshop.com/
  • broachboybroachboy Posts: 417
    bianchi77 wrote:
    broachboy wrote:
    bianchi77 wrote:
    The place is called Tanjakan Pratista and Tangkuban Parahu Mountain...

    bianchi77 is this what your riding up...?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tangkuban_Perahu

    Be careful dude, I hope it don't start to erupt while your riding up :shock: :? The descent would be awesome with tons of lava chasing you :twisted: :wink:

    That's right dude, there're many "Kawah" above ....the steepest called Kawah Ratu,
    I climb from Cimahi through Cisarua, Lembang,Cikole then Kawah Ratu...the summit...

    Good luck with the training, hope your ride goes ok, let us know how you get on with it.

    :wink:
    Regards

    Andy B

    Colnago Active 2004

    Guerciotti Alero 2008

    Cinelli Vigorelli Road 2018

    Colnago C60 PLWH 2018
  • broachboy wrote:
    bianchi77 wrote:
    broachboy wrote:
    bianchi77 wrote:
    The place is called Tanjakan Pratista and Tangkuban Parahu Mountain...

    bianchi77 is this what your riding up...?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tangkuban_Perahu

    Be careful dude, I hope it don't start to erupt while your riding up :shock: :? The descent would be awesome with tons of lava chasing you :twisted: :wink:

    That's right dude, there're many "Kawah" above ....the steepest called Kawah Ratu,
    I climb from Cimahi through Cisarua, Lembang,Cikole then Kawah Ratu...the summit...

    Good luck with the training, hope your ride goes ok, let us know how you get on with it.

    :wink:

    I'll do the ride tommorow morning ....

    Where do you ride tommorow ?

    Best luck too
    Viva Cycling forever !
    Train Hard, Rest harder

    Thanks,
    Regards
    http://www.rickoshop.com/
  • mididoctorsmididoctors Posts: 8,447
    bianchi77 wrote:
    What I know is I'm climbing form the 700m too 2000 m.....it's up and down, mostly ascending...

    thats 1300m of climbing..

    a 10% climb would have to be 13km..

    a 15% climb would have to be less than 9km long

    a 15km climb climbing 1300m is about 8.5% average (bloody nightmare) especially if there are negative section on it as the average must be maintained by some stiff sections

    good luck
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
Sign In or Register to comment.