Forum home Road cycling forum Training, fitness and health

How much power do I generate

bianchi77bianchi77 Posts: 63
edited August 2008 in Training, fitness and health
How much power do I generate, if I have a speed 55 km/h? In Watt ...

Depend on chainring and sprocket ?
I'm using 53 and 17 rear...

Any one know how to calculate this ? or any link?
Viva Cycling forever !
Train Hard, Rest harder

Thanks,
Regards
http://www.rickoshop.com/

Posts

  • celbianchicelbianchi Posts: 854
    bianchi77 wrote:
    How much power do I generate, if I have a speed 55 km/h? In Watt ...

    Depend on chainring and sprocket ?
    I'm using 53 and 17 rear...

    Any one know how to calculate this ? or any link?

    with a power meter.

    otherwise too many variables. Is it a flat road or up/downhill, tail wind, head or cross, weight of the rider etc.
  • bianchi77bianchi77 Posts: 63
    celbianchi wrote:
    bianchi77 wrote:
    How much power do I generate, if I have a speed 55 km/h? In Watt ...

    Depend on chainring and sprocket ?
    I'm using 53 and 17 rear...

    Any one know how to calculate this ? or any link?

    with a power meter.

    otherwise too many variables. Is it a flat road or up/downhill, tail wind, head or cross, weight of the rider etc.

    What's the name of a power meter ? Cat eye ?
    How much ?
    Viva Cycling forever !
    Train Hard, Rest harder

    Thanks,
    Regards
    http://www.rickoshop.com/
  • DoobzDoobz Posts: 2,800
    bianchi77 wrote:
    celbianchi wrote:
    bianchi77 wrote:
    How much power do I generate, if I have a speed 55 km/h? In Watt ...

    Depend on chainring and sprocket ?
    I'm using 53 and 17 rear...

    Any one know how to calculate this ? or any link?

    with a power meter.

    otherwise too many variables. Is it a flat road or up/downhill, tail wind, head or cross, weight of the rider etc.

    What's the name of a power meter ? Cat eye ?
    How much ?


    there are a few makes listed here

    And Price? Not cheap
    cartoon.jpg
  • Doobz wrote:
    there are a few makes listed here

    And Price? Not cheap
    I'd say you can pick up a 2nd hand Powertap from A$400 (UK#200) right up to several thousands of dollars/pounds for the most expensive models.
  • bianchi77bianchi77 Posts: 63
    Doobz wrote:
    there are a few makes listed here

    And Price? Not cheap
    I'd say you can pick up a 2nd hand Powertap from A$400 (UK#200) right up to several thousands of dollars/pounds for the most expensive models.

    do you sell the cheap one ?

    Contact me via PM I want to know you better...
    Viva Cycling forever !
    Train Hard, Rest harder

    Thanks,
    Regards
    http://www.rickoshop.com/
  • bianchi77 wrote:
    Doobz wrote:
    there are a few makes listed here

    And Price? Not cheap
    I'd say you can pick up a 2nd hand Powertap from A$400 (UK#200) right up to several thousands of dollars/pounds for the most expensive models.

    do you sell the cheap one ?

    Contact me via PM I want to know you better...
    No, I don't sell power meters.

    I did send a PM response. Did it not come through?

    2nd hand items can be found in the classifieds section of forums like this or more likely on other cycling related forums that specialise in training with power, and of course on eBay.

    Ric Stern does sell new power meters so you could drop him a line via www.cyclecoach.com. He is moving house right now and is likely to be off line for a few days. The product range can be seen via the web site (which has recently been upgraded by the way).

    My intro information is also available on the same site.

    There are other sellers of power meters as well. A google of retailers of the main brands previosuly listed will show you a range of suppliers.
  • BronzieBronzie Posts: 4,927
    You can also hire Powertaps for around £40/month - well worth it to see how you get on with one before splurging loads of dosh.
    http://www.cyclepowermeters.com/powerme ... l-24-c.asp
  • Bronzie wrote:
    You can also hire Powertaps for around £40/month - well worth it to see how you get on with one before splurging loads of dosh.
    http://www.cyclepowermeters.com/powerme ... l-24-c.asp
    Yes, that's a good idea too but not sure if Bob hires outside the UK ?

    For those outside UK/Europe, usually the cheapest location to buy from is the USA.
  • bianchi77bianchi77 Posts: 63
    Hello anyone...

    I have an idea in creating a power meter by myself...
    It's attached in my trainer, connected to generator that will be measured by Ampere and volt meter...it will be connected to the DA converter...and the output will be read in my Laptop...

    Anyone has an experience with it ?
    Share with me...
    Viva Cycling forever !
    Train Hard, Rest harder

    Thanks,
    Regards
    http://www.rickoshop.com/
  • andrewgturnbullandrewgturnbull Posts: 3,861
    bianchi77 wrote:
    Hello anyone...

    I have an idea in creating a power meter by myself...
    It's attached in my trainer, connected to generator that will be measured by Ampere and volt meter...it will be connected to the DA converter...and the output will be read in my Laptop...

    Anyone has an experience with it ?
    Share with me...

    Hi there.

    The tricky bit might be calibrating the losses in the system across the range of input speeds to your generator...

    Cheers, Andy
  • I have a question,
    Should I use generator, so I will generate the power ?

    Or I use motor, that it will train my cadence pace ??
    I hope you all get what I mean...
    Viva Cycling forever !
    Train Hard, Rest harder

    Thanks,
    Regards
    http://www.rickoshop.com/
  • ride_wheneverride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    surely using a motor will only train your cadance if your on fixed, otherwise you'll just coast... I'd say get a fixie for cadance training and run a generator off your turbo...
  • surely using a motor will only train your cadance if your on fixed, otherwise you'll just coast... I'd say get a fixie for cadance training and run a generator off your turbo...

    So if I want to increase VO2 Max and Power beter train with higher resistance and heavier flywheel....any idea how to put more weight in my rear wheel ?

    I will photo my modified trainer and the resistance that I have made....
    Viva Cycling forever !
    Train Hard, Rest harder

    Thanks,
    Regards
    http://www.rickoshop.com/
  • Here's the trainer that I was talking about...I was thinking a motor on it to train my pace...
    mytrainer2.jpg
    The motor will be attached in the core for more resistance...
    mytrainer1.jpg
    Where do you think I should put more flywheel ?

    Thanks guys...[/img]
    Viva Cycling forever !
    Train Hard, Rest harder

    Thanks,
    Regards
    http://www.rickoshop.com/
Sign In or Register to comment.