Narrowing down to that elusive first road bike......

cosmaboy
cosmaboy Posts: 89
edited July 2008 in Road beginners
hi all,

right getting down to that elusive first bike but would like some opinions on these options:

Cube Ariel 2008 - Triple Chainset (which being a newbie road biker i believe would benefit me coming from MTB'ing), Tiagra Gearset and only £550....

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=23689

Focus Variado Expert, looks a great bike from what i know..... but again a bit on the pricey side but is it worth paying that extra?? cheapest found £810

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Focus ... 360032369/

Focus Cross, I am assuming this will give you that off road ability but obviously will that then lack speed on roads? or can you just change the wheels and still have a good road bike? £720
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Focus ... 360031290/

just found this, last years make but heavily reduced at £700 and different sizes specifications, i am 5.10 32inside leg and would be looking at 56 cm bike? is that the norm?

http://www.bikeoutlet.co.uk/products/Cl ... 95-21.html

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated..

regards
Mat

Comments

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Speaking as the owner of an 06 Focus Variado Expert... Get the Focus. Yes it's more expensive than the Cube but it is equipped with Ultegra which is much better than the Tiagra/Sora mix on the cube. The Focus may look expensive to you as this is your first foray into road bikes, but Focus bikes represent about the best value for money on the market. A triple really isn't necessary, IMHO.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    The Claud Butler looks a bargain for a full 12k carbon bike

If you're nervous about carbon, the Focus and the Cube are still good value for money.

Consider the Variado rather than the Variado Expert if you want to save money
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,034
    keef66 wrote:
    The Claud Butler looks a bargain for a full 12k carbon bike

We, as in us two, are going to have to agree to disagree on this one! Personally, I find it rather horrifying that a Tiagra groupset carbon framed bike would retail for £1110 at RRP in 2008!! Yes, it is reduced to £700 in the sale, but that seems an awful lot to me for that spec...
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • cosmaboy
    hi thanks for that, i do like the Variado Expert but it is reaching into the higher end of my budget.....

Nitrous Oxide what would you suggest in relation to the options above...
    thanks
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    I've had a brief browse around the web since that post and did not come across any "steal" prices, but it was only a quick look! To give you an idea of what bargains can be had, I bought my Felt for £900, which differs very little from the current spec RRP of £1400.

Amazing bargains will generallly be few and far between in mid summer, during peak fair-weather cycling season! In late winter/ early spring, for example, Wiggle had the triple version of the Focus Cayo for just over £800.

If I come across any interesting bargains, I will post back tonight, but right now its time for me to run out of the door for work! :D
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • cosmaboy
    ok thanks....
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    £700 sounded like a bargain cos I'd just been looking at an Orbea Vuelta full carbon with Tiagra and unbranded brakes, rrp £1100
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    Cosmaboy, what is your absolute budget for the new bike? This will save us suggesting unrealistic toys!

Does this take account of a budget for a few essentials, including:-
    (Clipless?) pedals
    Bike shoes compatable with your clipless pedals
    Helmet
    Track pump
    Portable pump
    Lights
    Some detachable mudguards eg. SKS raceblades
    Cycle shorts/tops/socks
    Cycle computer
    Waterproofs
    etc. etc?

The above could easily set you back a few hundred squids, if you have not got them to start you off! ;)

A "leftfield" idea... Buy one of those steal Principia framesets at chainreactioncycles; a groupset from a reliable and cheap source; a set of wheels of your choosing... and then get a LBS to build it up for you (obviously get estimate of labour cost first)? Someone on here went down this route in the last couple of weeks and they appeared very happy! :D
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    Cosmaboy, what is your absolute budget for the new bike? This will save us suggesting unrealistic toys!

Does this take account of a budget for a few essentials, including:-
    (Clipless?) pedals
    Bike shoes compatable with your clipless pedals
    Helmet
    Track pump
    Portable pump
    Lights
    Some detachable mudguards eg. SKS raceblades
    Cycle shorts/tops/socks
    Cycle computer
    Waterproofs
    etc. etc?

The above could easily set you back a few hundred squids, if you have not got them to start you off! ;)

A "leftfield" idea... Buy one of those steal Principia framesets at chainreactioncycles; a groupset from a reliable and cheap source; a set of wheels of your choosing... and then get a LBS to build it up for you (obviously get estimate of labour cost first)? Someone on here went down this route in the last couple of weeks and they appeared very happy! :D

Great post above

You can also try the bike builder on ribble -
    cartoon.jpg
  • cosmaboy
    well to be honest my budget is from 400 to 800 just on the bike...

sort of looking at the Focus Variado Expert 2008 and anything below that....

im not sure i know enough about parts etc to build my own... so would be looking for a normal set up....

all the above mentioned accessories are being bought as we speak....apart from clipless pedals and shoes. got to look into those!
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    The Claud looks good value to me. In fact, IF the frame had the same "mudguard clearance and eyes" as is CLAIMED for the forks, I'd buy one right now!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    52cm sloping top tube Raleigh Airlite Carbon... http://www.ashcycles.com/power/index.ph ... cts_id=539

52cm sloping BMC Streetfire... http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/produc ... rtno=32926

54cm horizontal Felt F75... http://www.primera-bournemouth.co.uk/Te ... rodID=1919
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • cosmaboy
    thanks for all your comments, i went to my lbs today and sat on a Giant Scr 1.5 it was 55 cm i beleive, well it was a large and seemed to fit nicely.

took it out for a ride and as it was my first trip on a road bike i was amazed at how different it was from a moutain bike. i'd been out on my mtb this morning and road to the shop so i saw the difference immeidiately.

big difference was feeling the bumps! no suspension...... i knew that but god does it feel strange!!!

this bike was up for 650 but only had the Tiagra set where as the Focus Variado Exert has Intregra Ice set, now i'm between these two bikes.... is it worth getting the Forcus coz it's got the better spec?? but is 150 quid more.....

Apologies for messing everyone around but everyone's comments are very helpful and i do appreciate them....

once i've made my mind up, its on to the pedals and shoes next.... better start raiding the bank.....its a good job the economy is sooooo strong at the moment (er Not!!) and that petrol, electricity and gas prices aren't going thru the roof........ hmmmmm......
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    Just had a peek at Wiggle after seeing your update and they have the SCR 1.5 for £550, leaving you a possible dilemma of £100 and whether to support your lbs ;)

Interestingly, Wiggle have the SCR 1 for £700. Is it worth the extra over the 1.5? Well the higher model has the 105 groupset, which long term could open up possibilities of a gradual upgrade to the tranmission to other 10-speed groupsets in the Shimano range, namely Ultegra and Dura-Ace. If you bought the 1.5 and ever wanted to move from a 9-speed system to a 10-speed, you would need to splash out for the whole tranmission system in one hit!

Update: Found the SCR 1 cheaper than Wiggle, cheaper than the 1.5 at your lbs! http://www.ashcycles.com/power/index.ph ... urrency=BP

As to whether you chose a Giant or the Focus, its a tough call! The Focus has a good spec, but you have sat on a Giant SCR today, so you know what to expect. Unless things have changed, you can try a Focus for a week from Wiggle, although I've no idea of how complicated things are if you decide to return the bike after riding it for a week!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • cosmaboy
    thanks again....

well looking at your comments regarding updating the groupset along the line, i think that i'll definately go for the Scr 1 now. don't really understand why the lbs is so expensive then....

before i make my final decision and it is looking like the Scr 1 from ashcycles....

as a beginner will i notice much difference between the Scr 1 transmission being the 105's and the Focus's Ultregra transmisson?

i imagine that i probably wouldn't notice the difference.... but as you have said that is it possible to update the Scr 1 at a later date?

thanks for looking around for me, i very much apprieciate it.

regards
    Mat
  • cosmaboy
    edited July 2008
    error
  • cosmaboy
    edited July 2008
    error
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    Jumping up from 105 to Ultegra, you are generally paying for: lighter parts; crisper/quicker gear changes; smoother gear changes. 105 is a perfectly good set in my opinion... all of the transmission but the rear derailleur is 105 on my Felt and the original kit is still serving me fine after 15 months.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • cosmaboy
    Hi last question i promise!!

So sizing issue....

I'm 5 10, and i'm pretty sure i'm going to order that Giant Scr 1 from Ashcycles if they have one in stock!

but i don't know whether to get a medium or large bike. i tried a large in the shop yesterday but don't know whether a medium would be easier to ride as its a smaller frame.

plus i've seen this on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GIANT-SCR-C4-Raci ... .m14.l1318

i can't see it ending within my price range. but don't want to buy a bike that doesnt sit right....
  • philak
    philak Posts: 144
    I'm about the same height as you and have a medium framed SCR. If anything it is very slightly too long in the top tube for me. I definitely wouldn't go to a large frame myself but only a propper fit can tell you for sure.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    How long did you test ride the large framed Giant yesterday? Did it feel comfortable, or did it feel stretched (due to longer top tube and probably longer stem)? Perhaps you should find somewhere to test ride any Giant medium framed racer, so you can compare the two sizes and then know which Giant frame suits you best?

Like you, I'm 5'10", but my body shape is a little wonky! I have the legs of someone typically 5'5" (31" for saddle height reference) and the torso of someone typically 6'3". My horizontal top tubed Felt is a 54cm, which I suspect is a fraction too small for me (will probably invest in a 120cm stem at some point), but I took a gamble due to the price. Our height appears to often put us on the border of medium to large frames...
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • cosmaboy
    Hi there, well this is the thing, i'm not sure whether the bike shop was giving me a load of bull, as originally he set me up on a xtra large bike, but immediately i got off as i couldn't reach the pedals or the handle bars!!!!

this is where my problem lies i don't think he set me up correctly at all...

so i'm 5 10 and have a 33inch inside leg.

i only had about 10 minutes on the large frame yesterday, so can't really say i had much of a ride.

thinking back i did feel that the reach to the handle bars was long, but then as i'm going from my mtb to that, i just thought that may be normal....

but then as i have longer legs would a medium frame be too low.... or do you just adjust that with raising the saddle......

i can't say i was impressed with the service i was given tbh as it felt like they were putting pressure on me to buy a bike, as the shop was quite busy.

i've learnt more from this post on bikes then they told me.

i know its difficult i guess i should try and get fitted properly but then how do you know that your getting the right information, i don't know what is supposed to feel comfortable, i know that sounds odd, but i don't really know what is right or wrong....

i bet you'll all be glad when i finally get a bike and off this forum!!!

sorry!
  • Shimnolo
    Shimnolo Posts: 10
    I'm like you. I will agonise for hours, days, weeks even, weighing up the pro's and con's of each tiny component of the perfect bike. But what if I spend the money and a newer one comes along soon after? Then I feel bad and am convinced I have been shafted. And I vow and declare I will never be such a dope again. Until the next time.

My pal Rob plays the game differently. He bought his steel-framed racer about twenty-six years ago and only replaces a component when bits drop off. I have seen him changing gear at thirty mph by kicking the derailleur with his right foot, because he's too forgetful to buy a new spring. He's completely unaffected by fashion, totally oblivious to trends and enjoys his cycling more than anyone I know.

I am really trying to be more like him, even though I'm so easily swayed by the flash adverts and the bling and the latest "must have" gadget. It's hard, but I will get there, and so should you.
  • cosmaboy
    so, earlier i popped into Halfords (as it's my local bs) and sat on a carrera vanquish (won't buy that) but it was a medium (51 seat tube / 56 toptube) and although i had to put the seat up to get my leg almost straight while extended, the position did feel better than the previous day when i rode a large giant (which has top tube of 58.5 this felt like i was stretching too much).

in front of me is the Giant brochure and i think i'm getting somewhere....

looking at the sizing chart, i'm finally understanding.... (sorry if this is blantantly obvious!)

Conventional Frame Sizing 55 / 57
    Rider Height 5'7 - 5'10
    Compact Road Frame Size M
    Seat Tube / Toptube Length 50 55.5

the large is 55.5 / 58.5 which now thinking thats too big for me.

however it's got that it does a M / L which reads 53.5 / 57 however when browsing the internet i've not come across the size at all.

going on my size 5.10 and 32 inside waist (not 33 as previously stated) i think the medium will suit me better.

any objections? (or help!)
  • il_principe
    If your LBS are not being helpful then get your wife/GF etc to measure you and email the chaps at Wiggle. I did this when buying my Focus. I and 5'11 with a 32 inside leg and went for the 54 Focus which fits perfectly. The top tube length is the one you really need to worry about as it is less easily adjustable. Have your LBS actually measured you properly or just "sized you up" visually?
  • cosmaboy
    pretty sized up visually. won't be going back there to be honest.

my worry is the top tube length really, as the Large Giant bike that i tried had toptube length of 58.5 and i just felt like i was stretching myself to reach it.

i think i've decided on a medium sized frame top tube length of 55.5.

so if i was to order a SCR 1 - medium that would be a 50cm seattube with a 55.5 toptube and its the 50cm seattube that gives you the size of the frame.

as most website say order 42 (XS) 46 (S) 50 (M) 55 (L) 58.5 (XL)

does that sound right?

don't want to go and order the wrong size!
  • il_principe
    I dunno tbh, Giant have such funny sloping frames. Personally I'd go for the Focus Expert, better VFm and IMHO a better bike. A friend has a Carbon Giant - not sure which model but worth around £1500 and I don't really like it. The Focus is excellent. Are there no other bike shops near you that you can try?
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Giants are ugly and common :)
  • cosmaboy
    unfortunately no, all lbs shops are giant or carrera stockists.
  • Compton77
    Compton77 Posts: 139
    Cosmaboy, coming from someone who messed up on his first road bike take it from me it's better to go smaller then at least you can add length by changing the stem. I bought a Lemond which was waaay too big and there was very little I could do to shorten the reach required. If you want to be cautious go for the smaller option.

Also, i'd tend to agree with Jashburnham, Focus bikes are well known for their VFM and they are a bit rarer. I had a Giant FCR1 last year (size L) and I started seeing them everywhere! Makes your £££ feels a bit undervalued when everyone else is riding one. That's a subjective decision though, you may not be as sad as me! It sounds like your doing research and asking the question on a forum tends to make me think you want to get the right bike and for VFM and exclusivity I doubt you'll go wrong with the Focus.

Just my 2 cents!!