Exercise bikes versus Road Cycling

teulk
teulk Posts: 557
How much benefit would using an exercise be ? Ok i know its never going to be as good as getting out on your bike and hitting the road but are they a good alternative. Im asking as i went on one for the first time the other day and spent an hour on it, i noticed that my knees didnt hurt after id finished where as after ive been out on my bike for that long they tend to ache a little bit. I also noticed that on the exercise bike i could maintain a constant speed and cadence where as on my bike i cant. I wont be giving up my bike but how much would using an exercise bike improve my fitness on my bike out on the open road ?
Boardman Team 09 HT
Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
Specialized Secteur Elite 2011

Comments

• teulk
    teulk Posts: 557
    Well im guessing its not going to do any harm using an exercise bike in conjuction with normal riding.
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
    Specialized Secteur Elite 2011
  • penugent
    penugent Posts: 913
    Nothing scientific about it, but last week I spent 2 consecutive days spinning fast on easy resistance on my turbo (foul weather outside!!) and on the 3rd, then sunny, day I hit the road and found I was flying. I'm guessing that the easy spinning rested my legs without letting the cycling form drop.

I don't have any issues about the turbo - apart from the usual boredom and overheating!!
  • penugent
    penugent Posts: 913
    teulk wrote:
    i noticed that my knees didnt hurt after id finished where as after ive been out on my bike for that long they tend to ache a little bit.

Assuming that the bike set-up is correct; try riding in an easier gear. That way you can use a higher cadence to maintain speed whilst putting less pressure on the knees. I find that trick of particular relevance when pushing into a headwind - which wrecks my knees if I don't drop into an easier gear and spin.
  • Riding a good exercise bike can be very effective for improving fitness, if (just like on your real bike) you ride sufficient volumes at the right intensities to induce improvements in fitness.
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    Alot of riders do spinning on exercise bikes at the gym in winter to keep themselves fit and the joints nice and loose.
    cartoon.jpg
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Sorry to join in this...

With exercise bikes will any model do? I ask because for the really cruddy days I thought of buying an 80 quid one and stick it in the shed, and for also really long sessions where I dont fancy the roads.

For example I have seen things like THIS

Cheers!
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    For £80, I'd rather have a turbo trainer for pure mindless spinning, or rollers to help with technique a bit. The problem with exercise bikes is that they're set up for people in general. This is no problem for the usual buyers, those who will use them for about 30 minutes per week, but after an hour, your bum will be killing you because of the appalling saddle, you'll quite probably be annoyed because the cranks are the right length and you'll start to hate the thing. On the other hand, with a turbo or rollers, you'll be on your own bike, set up specifically for you, with your own comfy saddle.

Sitting there spinning for an hour in your living room is a chore at the best of times, if you're uncomfortable doing it, you'll be suicidal.
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    I always found exercise bikes in gyms rather entertaining as the speeds they report bear no resemblance to reality. I remember putting in a 1 hour session where I supposedly broke the hour record!!!

In the end, if you are working your heart and your legs sufficiently you will definitely improve your fitness, which you should be able to notice when you are on the road. The exercise bike may also have the benefits of constant strain being put on your legs, whereas on the road it is easy to freewheel occasionally, or get rest periods due to things like traffic lights.
  • downfader
    Cheers for that chaps!

I have been looking at the Tacx Suirius (is it called) online. Looks good for the money (eg stronger than the cheaper one I looked at :oops: I am 14 stone :oops: )

Anyone know if I actually have to use their own quickrelease or can I just use the wheel setup I already have on these things. I'm loathe to remove mine :lol:
  • Whatever it is, you have to learn to enjoy riding it. If you don't it'll just collect dust, and you'll collect pounds :)

Personally I'd look for something that has at some kind of flywheel as part of the system to provide some additional rotational inertia - helps to make a more realistic feel.
  • downfader
    Whatever it is, you have to learn to enjoy riding it. If you don't it'll just collect dust, and you'll collect pounds :)

Personally I'd look for something that has at some kind of flywheel as part of the system to provide some additional rotational inertia - helps to make a more realistic feel.

I just had a look at your blog! :shock: 8) The thunderbird 7 looks awesome!! :D
  • chill123
    chill123 Posts: 210
    I use one in the gym about three times a week. I find so long as I use either my heart rate or the power reading on it I get a really good workout.

The key is to mix it up. Mix up 2x20 intervals, recovery rides, spinning sessions and you won't get too bored. Always try to have a goal to your session before you start pedalling.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    edited July 2008
    British cycling have just endorsed a really nice 'exercise' bike. They have designed it so it will cope with Hoy in full sprint - so none of us lightweights will break it.

Apparently it feels very realistic too - but then again it is £1650 !

Will dig a link out.
  • cougie wrote:
    "Wattbike is the first indoor bike to be endorsed by British Cycling, the governing body with a global reputation for innovation and achievement. No other product of its type accurately measures power output – watts. It is suitable for riders of all ages, and abilities."

Hmmm, that's misleading advertising.

Ergometers that accurately indicate wattage have been around for nearly 100 years. They have been used in sport science labs for decades.

And currently on the market there are a number of ergobikes that accurately measure and record power. Velodyne, Velotron, SRM ergobike, PT300 and so on I'm sure there are others.