HRM Question

dombo6
dombo6 Posts: 582
question re HR. I'm 45, 10 stone (140lbs/63kg) just done the etape in 8' 6". My max HR seems to be around 178 when going absolutely eyeballs-out. Normally it'll tick along around 145 riding at a fast pace on the flat which is comfortable. Resting is in the mid-low 50s.
At the beginning of etape and also the Dragon Ride, HR was at 165, this on flat fast stretches, perhaps partly due to excitement of the event. However on the long Tourmalet climb I could not get it above 142, even when briefly out the saddle.

Is this to do with nutrition ie not having eaten enough?

I should add that I had full ECG check as part of doctor's check prior to etape and all was normal.

Comments

• richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    I believe the 165 reading at the start is due to the adrenalin rush. Not sure why you could only get to 142 (80%) on the Tourmalet.
    Rich
  • gandhi
    gandhi Posts: 187
    Dombo6 wrote:
    However on the long Tourmalet climb I could not get it above 142, even when briefly out the saddle.

Is this to do with nutrition ie not having eaten enough?
    Were you finding that you couldn't produce as much power as normal? Or were you getting colder than you normally would in the given conditions? I find a low heart rate and getting cold is a sign that I need to eat ASAP.