Is there a good way of estimating TSS?

Jungli
Jungli Posts: 201
One for the Power Training gurus...

I am using the Training Peaks Software, however I quite often ride a mountain bike as well and would like to estimate the TSS for those rides.

Is there an easy-ish way or method or is it just comparing to a known ride where the PowerTap was used.

I still use a Polar HR monitor so will get the usual date from that.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Jay

Comments

• Jungli wrote:
    One for the Power Training gurus...

I am using the Training Peaks Software, however I quite often ride a mountain bike as well and would like to estimate the TSS for those rides.

Is there an easy-ish way or method or is it just comparing to a known ride where the PowerTap was used.

I still use a Polar HR monitor so will get the usual date from that.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Jay
    Well it's tricky since MTB rides are probably quite different to your road rides but yes, if you have a similar road ride you can use that as a ball park estimate.

Also, over time you develop a really good sense of the Intensity Factor for a ride which along with time in hrs is all you need to estimate TSS.

TSS = IF^2 x hrs x 100

As an experiement, after each road ride and before you download, have a guess what your IF is and then compare to actual. After a while you'll get pretty good at estimating IF.

How big an issue this is (for the Performance Manager) depends on what % of rides are on your MTB.
  • Jungli
    Jungli Posts: 201
    That should enable me to estimate it well enough.

Thanks for that.

8)