cyclists scales

TheGreatGatsby
TheGreatGatsby Posts: 818
Kind of following on from the post about how much a cyclists legs weighs ( :? ) I was wondering if any one as a cyclist, can recommend some body fat/composition scales?

Now I know that BF scales aren't that good or accurate for the cycling fraternity due to the impedance and how the body fat measurement is taken but are there any scales that are more accurate than others?

Cheers

Gats

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Got some of the Tanita ones - they weigh accurate enough but my body fat varies +/-3% depending on how hydrated I am and whether I've just got out of the shower :?
  • the gold standard for assessing body composition is via hydrostatic weighing, which is available at some universities who do sports science/exercise physiology, etc. Other methods is via quality, *metal* skinfold calipers (such as the Harpenden calipers) and when the assessment is carried out by a qualified technician. It's quite important (at least for this) to have someone who is qualified (in general, someone who works in a gym probably isn't qualified to do this).

depending on where you're located we can do this for you (as can other sports scientists, etc)

ric

p.s. the only accurate way of assessing body fat, is somewhat hazardous... ;-)
    Professional cycle coaching for cyclists of all levels
    www.cyclecoach.com