£500 budget for a road bike - advice please

2»

Comments

• Guys,

Very similar story to myself.
    I've ridden off-road for years and after a 4 or 5 year break got back into the scene with a Spesh RH Pro, was bored of doing 60% of my miles on-road so wanted a reasonably priced road bike.

After trying Bianchi, Trek, Scott, Spesh and Giant offerrings, all I can say is go with what feels right. I had my heart set on a Bianchi but for me the riding position just didn't feel right during the test rides.

In the end i went for a Giant SCR1.5, I hadn't even considered this bike but when I stepped over the frame for the first time it just felt right.

So whatever the spec, brand, colour, cost, always ride before you buy and try as many bikes as you can, one will feel right and you'll never have that regret of "what if???".

Happy riding folks!!!

Ben
  • porkloins
    porkloins Posts: 39
    well i took my new allez out for a quick spin this evening....a ten mile round trip. i noticed my knees where hurting when i first set off and the position felt uncomforable. i was expecting a sport bike to feel almost effortless to ride in comparison to a mountain bike....but i was wrong lol

having said that, i think i was starting to adjust nicely to the new riding position in the last couple of miles on my return. you really start to notice the almost non existant rolling resisitance from the skinny tyres....especially uphill.

i think the lack of cycle computer on this bike also made me feel like i wasn't travelling as quicky i as i thought i might....although i probably was! - computer now on order!

i was expecting a pretty bumpy ride with the high pressure skinny tyres, but it was almost silky smooth, nothing like i expected. i'm guessing the carbon forks soak up a lot of the bumps and vibration, whatever it is, it works.

to sum it up, i thinks i like it. it's just a lot different from my mountain bike and it'll take some getting used to

it's understated, but that's not a bad think in my book :)

allez.jpg
  • mivecboy
    mivecboy Posts: 34
    Job done. Picked her up today for £490. Only been for a quick 4 or 5 mile ride but so comfy. From being a MTB rider to this, you can tell the difference in road surface but she's so smooth. Very pleased so far. Went for a 50cm frame. I am 5'10" but with short legs so 55.5cm was too big.

IMG_1952.jpg
  • porkloins
    porkloins Posts: 39
    very nice m8, it sounds like you're pleased with it :)

as soon as i told my brother in law i'd bought my allez, he went out and bought a giant SCR4 yesterday. not a bad bike by all accounts for £350.

i was going to go out lastnight and today but it's done nothing but rain since then lol

the gear shifters take a bit of getting used to! i'm glad i've gone for the drop bars so it's a completely different experience against going out on the mountain bike
  • Van_Heerden
    Van_Heerden Posts: 128
    I have an SCR 4.0 and it has been great and very good for making upgrades as you go due to the frame.

I don't think Scott get much of a look in because while they produce some nice looking frames they start at about 480 and they have the same components as some bikes costing 350 with an equally good frame worth making upgrades to (SCR 4.0 being one example) and for only a few more quid you can get a Specialized or Trek with the next step up in components.
    "The grass is always greener on the other side - unless Jens Voigt has been riding on the other side in which case it's white with the salty, dried tears of all the riders whose souls he has crushed."
  • mivecboy
    mivecboy Posts: 34
    I have an SCR 4.0 and it has been great and very good for making upgrades as you go due to the frame.

I don't think Scott get much of a look in because while they produce some nice looking frames they start at about 480 and they have the same components as some bikes costing 350 with an equally good frame worth making upgrades to (SCR 4.0 being one example) and for only a few more quid you can get a Specialized or Trek with the next step up in components.

I am very pleased with my SCR2. I havent used the full drops yet, just leaning on the shifters. What put me off the Trek 1.5 for £600 is that my bike has a better groupset for £110 LESS... there are SORAs on the front which is disappointing. Its my first experience of anything like Tiagra and love it.