eating after bike rides??

Terminator-X
Terminator-X Posts: 37
I struggle to control weight, probably due to slow metabolism, lately i have managed to achieve quite good weight of 70kg while still maintaining strength, i have been doing this by cutting out carbs after spins, and relying on powerbar recovery drink, eggs, beans, and meats is this a good idea as people are constantly telling me i need carbs for strength and to build muscle any advice would be great???

Comments

• richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    How far are you riding?
    Rich
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    You need protein for muscle, carbs are to replace the glycogen (muscle fuel) that you just used up on the bike.

Glycogen is stored in your muscles and is replaced by the food you eat. Right after a workout more of the carbs you eat get turned into glycogen than normal (the rest goes to fat stores), so it is a good time to eat carbs. It's something to do with insulin levels.

It is generally only really needed if you train a lot, mostly to avoid overtraining (in cycling, overtraining tends to mean chronic glycogen depletion, which can happen over a long period of low levels of glycogen).

Also, during this time, protein and other nutrients will be absorbed quicker, meaning it is a good time to eat anway.

hope this helps.
  • RichA wrote:
    How far are you riding?
    im riding generally about 3hours every 2nd day with a light spin in between.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    It depends how hard you are pushing I guess and at what time of day/when your next meal is. But for 3hr rides I would rehydrate only and then continue with my healthy diet.

You are trying to lose/control your weight. Calories In versus Calories Out and all that. Seems little point doing the excersize if you then come home and then eat for Britain.
    Rich
  • scapaslow
    scapaslow Posts: 305
    My understanding is that for extended aerobic exercise the body needs fuel, and carbs are the best source of this. The body turns carbs into glucose more efficiently than proteins. You seem to be eating a high protein diet? It is highly likely that over 3 hours of riding your body will be deficient in glycogen even if you are having energy drinks as you ride, and the best way of topping this up is to eat carbohydrates immediately afterwards (within 20 mins). Generally cyclists should derive 65 to 70% of their calories from carbohydrates mostly from complex carbs with high nutritional value and foods in their whole natural state where possible (e.g. apple rather than apple juice), wholegrains etc... This shouldn't/needn't affect your weight.

Protein repairs muscles and the body will use it as a secondary fuel source once the carbs run out but is second best to carbs as fuel. Muscles are built by working them not feeding them excessive protein.

I would imagine the Powerbar recovery drink will contain a high carb and vitamin/protein mix that may have enough carbs to replenish those lost on the 3 hour ride. The light spin shouldn't need any extra carbs.
  • Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 1,048
    sorry about the double post.... 'puter is bogging down
    Cajun
  • AT4
    AT4 Posts: 22
    simple carbs are good after extensive excersise as a previous poster mentioned its to do with insulin levels. Simple carbs and a protein shake straight after training is the way to go.