Affects of running on cycling

willbevan
willbevan Posts: 1,241
Hi guys,

Seen plenty of refrences on uing biking to suplement running, as its time off the jjoints and gives some extra CV workout....

How about in reverse, does running help cycling?

I did see some refrence saying that runners will tire less when climbing out of the saddle (compared to a complete newbie i think)...

Are there any pluses, reason i ask is that i used to be a runner, injured myself last year and am about to the stage i could go back but really i have got hooked on cycling

Only thing i miss is the freedom compared toa bike, i can put headphones on and run on a pavement etc, comapred to having to be aware cycling... if there are any benefits i might go back, otherwise i think sticking to cycling...

Anyone got some links to articles? as i have had a hard time finding any

Thanks in advance for any opinions, links etc

Will
Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
MTB - Trek Fuel 80
TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/

Comments

• I made the transition from running to triathlon to cycling. I still run 3/4 times a week but cycle probaly 5/6. I really enjoy cycling and used it as cross training when I sprained my ankle a few weeks back, its great and probaly more enjoyable. I do love running though but I feel to become a better cyclist i will have to give up running. I find cycling really good cross training although when I went for a my first run on wed after my injury the impact of running was awful, it hurt and my it band felt tight.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    I can go out running and chat with my friends from the running club in a way that you can't on a bike.

It's also far more pleasant (less unpleasant) going out running on a wet and windy day than it is cycling in the same conditions.
  • garyspain
    garyspain Posts: 105
    I've started running more regularly in the last few months and I do think my CV fitness has improved. We live in the mountains at 900m altitude so when I go out on my bike there are lots of long climbs. I think running keeps my fitness topped up for when I don't have the time (or it's too hot!) to go pedalling. And it didn't take long for my legs to adjust to running either, which makes things a little less painful!)