Smoking whilst cycling?

2»

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Smoking cigarettes whilst riding? No, cigars is where it's at.

I've been know to pootle around the south of france with a couple of mates whilst enjoying a good cigar. Last time I smoked and rode at the same time was on Alderney; single tracking back from the take away with thai food for four in the basket jamming the torch I was using as a front light and a can of Heineken in place whilst enjoying a Hoyo de Monteray Petit Robusto.

Made good time, we had to get back before the tide came in and cut the house off from the island.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    Back when I used to smoke (gave up in 2002) I did the Cape Argus ride in South Africa several times and would always light up once I crossed the finish line and smoke it whist riding back into town to meet my mates, saw quite a few people doing the same thing.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Holy thread resurrection, Batman!
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    If you're a regular smoker anyway, surely lighting up just before or during a long ride would be a bit of a boost?
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    it's a disgusting, expensive habit that's going to kill me but one of the nicest ones is the one after locking up my bike and walking to the office.

Am on the patches at the moment (two weeks so far) but was within around 10cms of being T-boned this morning. Got off, had blame-shouting match with driver, and really, Really, REALLY wanted a cigarette.

*sighs and plays with Quit Kit toy*
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Could be worse. I was cycling through York the other day and I saw this woman riding a bike. Not only was she smoking but she was also trying to fill a jerrycan with petrol at the same time.......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • will-i-am wrote:
    Postby ThatGuyOnABike » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:00 pm
    smoking while riding is just wrong... and so is smoking. i once saw a person with a bag full of beer bottles over one handle bar and trying to smoke. looked so unstable and reckless. but like somone above said, we'll never see folk like that on these forums. they aren't cyclists, their just people with bikes.

you are ignorant. I ride, i drink, and i smoke, often simultaneity.

I volunteer weekly at a community bike shop and am very passionate about cycling in general. I burn a cig most days, on my way to class. You are judgmental and inevitably incorrect with your reckless blanket statements. Maybe thats why smoker would avoid this forum.

Don't be so judgmental, you smug schmuck.
    They may have changed their minds in the 3 1/2 years since the thread originally lived and died :roll:

Still - welcome to the Boards.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    msmancunia wrote:
    it's a disgusting, expensive habit that's going to kill me but one of the nicest ones is the one after locking up my bike and walking to the office.

Am on the patches at the moment (two weeks so far) but was within around 10cms of being T-boned this morning. Got off, had blame-shouting match with driver, and really, Really, REALLY wanted a cigarette.

*sighs and plays with Quit Kit toy*
    Got myself an e-cig kit a few weeks agao and haven't touched a real cig since - gives you the nicotine, stuff that looks like smoke, and something to hold.
    Recommended. (heavy smoker for 35+ years)
    This place, but plenty other online.
    http://www.thesmokersangel.co.uk/
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Hmmmm, Will-I-am.....

First post, three year old plus thread resurrection, full bore attack out of the blocks......

Fee fi fo fum I smell the blood of a troll my son...no?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    JonGinge wrote:
    Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

Oh yes! I hadn't noticed this was from 2008...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I saw someone enjoying the use of a hobby-horse in a slightly different way to how I enjoy mine.

I was disgusted.