Smoking whilst cycling?

mogrigg
mogrigg Posts: 73
edited April 2012 in Commuting chat
On a few occassions, whilst approaching my destination I've notice the distinct smell of cigarettes. With only a fellow cyclist in front of me I was amazed to find that it was him smoking, whilst cycling :shock: . How can people do this?. I have just enough oxygen to keep going let alone puff away on a cigarette! Is this some additional cardio challenge I'm missing out on or just plain stupidity? To me I feel it's the later. Disgusting habit!! :) But I had to laugh! :)

Comments

• JoeSoap76
    JoeSoap76 Posts: 109
    Always makes me chuckle when I see people on bikes smoking. It just seems counter-productive.

Funniest 'smoking whilst exercising' situation I ever saw though was a couple of blokes who jogged past me early one morning... lycra'd up, sweat poring, clutching bottles of water in one hand... and cigarettes in the other. I chortled on that one for hours.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    mogrigg wrote:
    On a few occassions, whilst approaching my destination I've notice the distinct smell of cigarettes. With only a fellow cyclist in front of me I was amazed to find that it was him smoking, whilst cycling :shock: . How can people do this?. I have just enough oxygen to keep going let alone puff away on a cigarette! Is this some additional cardio challenge I'm missing out on or just plain stupidity? To me I feel it's the later. Disgusting habit!! :) But I had to laugh! :)

Is there something significant in the section I have highlighted?

Are you cycling to a cigarette smokers convention?

:D:D:D
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • mogrigg
    mogrigg Posts: 73
    Are you cycling to a cigarette smokers convention?
    Ironically, there is a tabacco factory around here!!! :)
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    I often see "surfers" (i.e. beginners!) smoking just before they get in the sea - with wetsuits on and boards under arm.

Always handy to have even less lung capacity when you get battered by a wave or two :roll: :lol:
  • my friend does that - bike to him is just a mean of transportation. you will never find those people on these forums. only thing that disgust me about smoking cyclists is that I know they just throw it anywhere when finished.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Did the Action Medical Research 100 miler, Bristol to London a couple of years ago, was amazed to see a bloke spark up at the Marlborough feed station.

Guess he had the wrong spelling of Marlboro!

Either that or it was some sort of bizarre "cancer offsetting" (like "carbon offsetting"!!)
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • trail jacker
    trail jacker Posts: 844
    thats probably one of the worst thing you can do to your lungs, except for smoking whilst not doing exercise....
    when you breath normally (at rest) you only replace a small percentage of the air in your lungs - your 'tidal volume' is low. when you exercise, you breath deeply and replace lots of air in your lungs (about 70-85% = very high tidal vol.), so if you smoke during exercise your taking all those mutagens in the smoke down to the bottom of your lungs, so when you stop they stay there, which is terrible for the tissues that make up the gas exchange surfaces in the lungs.
    ...so id give that a miss :D
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Arrived at the summit of Glas Maol to receive the smell of cigar. Being odd in liking the smell of Pipe and Cigar baccy it was quite plesant.
    Similarly someone in the hospital smokes Hamlet in the bogs.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • Aidanw
    Aidanw Posts: 449
    The real problem is your cigarette burns down so fast as you pedal along!
  • Ive got a nice red anodised ashtray fitted to my bars. I think Hope are thinking of adding one to their product range :D
  • smoking while riding is just wrong... and so is smoking. i once saw a person with a bag full of beer bottles over one handle bar and trying to smoke. looked so unstable and reckless. but like somone above said, we'll never see folk like that on these forums. they aren't cyclists, their just people with bikes.
    In the valley of high oil prices the cyclist is king!
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    I was on a critical mass once (the first and last after some of the behviour I saw) but the one thing that struck me was a lady with a nice bike with a basket on the front which had a notice on it that said "Stop Pollution"...

...and she was smoking a fag...

?
  • Cyclegent
    Cyclegent Posts: 601
    smoking while riding is just wrong... and so is smoking. i once saw a person with a bag full of beer bottles over one handle bar and trying to smoke. looked so unstable and reckless. but like somone above said, we'll never see folk like that on these forums. they aren't cyclists, their just people with bikes.

Beg to differ - I used to smoke cigarettes and cycle fairly often while an undergraduate and frequently had bags of beer cans or a wine bottle slung over the handlebars as well. I eventually gave up the fags for a pipe, though I don't smoke it while cycling - too much fiddling around and relighting involved. I have seen old footage of pipe-smoking cyclists but can't understand how they kept sparks out of their eyes....
    \'Cycling in Amsterdam.is not a movement, a cause, or a culture.It\'s a daily mode of transportation. People don\'t dress special to ride their bike any more than we dress special to drive our car... In the entire 1600 photographs that I took, there were only three people in "bike gear" and wearing helmets.\' Laura Domala, cycling photographer.
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    Ive got a nice red anodised ashtray fitted to my bars. I think Hope are thinking of adding one to their product range :D

I hear carbon fibre's all the rage...
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I've been known to have one whilst cycling around, but I'm currently having a relapse...
  • Gone are the days when it was perfectly acceptable to sneak a cheeky fag even during the Le Tour. http://photo.net/street-documentary-pho ... rum/00LWes Sigh.

I can't help feeling we've lost something somehow...

(though I had a brief moment of excitement earlier today when I thought a Garmin rider was about to spark one up, only to realise that he was opening an energy bar rather than fumbling around for a ciggy in the box...).
  • andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    Eddie Merkx. Smoked like a chimney and cycled pretty well too.
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    My Grandfather used to smoke a pipe whilst riding his bike. He told me that he burnt the bowls through doing this and had them replaced under the makers guarantee until the tabaconist found out what he was doing.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • Parkey
    Parkey Posts: 303
    Did anyone see the nun at the start of the London to Brighton bike ride? The one driving around a self propelling piano smoking a cigarette and proclaiming "no smoking!" in a very monty python voice.
    "A recent study has found that, at the current rate of usage, the word 'sustainable' will be worn out by the year 2015"
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    I'm a bit of a part-time smoker - always have some Golden Virginia in for the odd roll up (or herbal) and only smoke maybe half a dozen a week at most.
    Quite agree with the smoking before/during exercise, that's a tad uncomfortable to say the least. However, it's not unusual for me to get back from a long ride and relax with a cup of tea and a roll up.
  • zaynan
    zaynan Posts: 180
    Didn't Cippollini occasionally smoke on his training rides?

Smoking on a bike is probably no worse than cycling through the London traffic fumes!
    www.practicalcycles.com
    The home of cargo bikes
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Parkey wrote:
    Did anyone see the nun at the start of the London to Brighton bike ride? The one driving around a self propelling piano smoking a cigarette and proclaiming "no smoking!" in a very monty python voice.

yes with the candelabra... the whole starting area made me think I was at a festival. almost felt the need for beers and some green
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • chronyx
    chronyx Posts: 455
    patchy wrote:
    Ive got a nice red anodised ashtray fitted to my bars. I think Hope are thinking of adding one to their product range :D

I hear carbon fibre's all the rage...

That stuff'll kill you :wink::lol:

http://www.bikebiz.com/news/29551/Carbo ... scientists
    2007 Giant SCR2 - 'BFG'

Gone but not forgotten!:
    2005 Specialized Hardrock Sport - 'Red Rocket'
  • Graham G wrote:
    However, it's not unusual for me to get back from a long ride and relax with a cup of tea and a roll up.

*agrees.
    I love these ppl who say how disgusting smoking is...do u all drive electric cars? :P
    Good Luck and Be Fecund
  • Postby ThatGuyOnABike » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:00 pm
    smoking while riding is just wrong... and so is smoking. i once saw a person with a bag full of beer bottles over one handle bar and trying to smoke. looked so unstable and reckless. but like somone above said, we'll never see folk like that on these forums. they aren't cyclists, their just people with bikes.

you are ignorant. I ride, i drink, and i smoke, often simultaneity.

I volunteer weekly at a community bike shop and am very passionate about cycling in general. I burn a cig most days, on my way to class. You are judgmental and inevitably incorrect with your reckless blanket statements. Maybe thats why smoker would avoid this forum.

Don't be so judgmental, you smug schmuck.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Graham G wrote:
    However, it's not unusual for me to get back from a long ride and relax with a cup of tea and a roll up.

There's something nice about a cigarette after a long ride. Seems to relax the lungs.

It's not for me, but not that uncommon to see people smoking in european sportives.
    exercise.png
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    CippoliniSmoking.jpg
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    there is a charity ride every July in Liverpool, over to Chester - 56 miles

you start in Liverpool then go through the Mersey tunnel which is quite steep coming out on the Wirral side. the amount of people stopped coughing an spluttering, then start smoking straight away is shocking
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • leodis75
    leodis75 Posts: 184
    will-i-am wrote:
    Postby ThatGuyOnABike » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:00 pm

you are ignorant. I ride, i drink, and i smoke, often simultaneity.

I volunteer weekly at a community bike shop and am very passionate about cycling in general. I burn a cig most days, on my way to class. You are judgmental and inevitably incorrect with your reckless blanket statements. Maybe thats why smoker would avoid this forum.

Don't be so judgmental, you smug schmuck.

+1 This.

I smoke, not while riding though but I have a smoke before I set off and after. You find after 5 minutes your lungs are back to capacity and all is well.

"they aren't cyclists, their just people with bikes"

Thee most pathetic statement I have read on here.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I saw a couple of guys smoking at a feed station well into a 100 mile sportive last year... I did a bit of a double take! They were all lycra-ed up in Castelli or Rapha or some other overpriced bike gear next to their carbon wonder machines... I like the occasional fag, perhaps a couple a month when I'm out with someone who smokes but not whilst on a ride!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.