Irrational Childhood Fears

CHRISNOIR
CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
edited June 2008 in The bottom bracket
Last night, at the grand old age of thirty-two, I finally made it through an episode of the Muppet Show without fleeing in terror. I wasn't a particularly sensitive kid (nor am I a particularly sensitive adult...) but something about it struck fear deep into me.

I dipped my toe in the Henson-esque waters briefly when I was eighteen at a girlfriends house. We were sat in the front room with her parents when the Muppets came on and I swear I flinched. My relief when she suggested we go out was incredible.

What scared you as a kid? Or am I alone in this kind of thing..?

:oops:

Comments

• Harry B
    Harry B Posts: 1,239
    The theme tune to Dr Who (over that now though :D )
    Spiders (still not over that though :( )
    Girls (definately over that though :wink: )
  • mozzle
    mozzle Posts: 100
    Worzel Gummidge..... it used to freak me out when he changed his heads!
    The Incredible Hulk.... the whole turning green bit!

Still to this day I cant stand either of these two and I'm now 31 :shock: :lol:
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    mozzle wrote:
    Worzel Gummidge..... it used to freak me out when he changed his heads!
    The Incredible Hulk.... the whole turning green bit!

Still to this day I cant stand either of these two and I'm now 31 :shock: :lol:

definitely the hulk - that was soooooo scary. I once went to the circus and was convinced that david banner was sitting a few rows in front and I crouched and hid throughout the whole show.

a fear that gets worse as I get older is flying - on one occasion when flying alone on business, the flight attendant had to sit next to me and hold my hand :oops: . I was pregnant at the time so couldn't go for my usual pre-flight preparation of getting sloshed.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    CHRISNOIR wrote:
    Last night, at the grand old age of thirty-two, I finally made it through an episode of the Muppet Show without fleeing in terror. I wasn't a particularly sensitive kid (nor am I a particularly sensitive adult...) but something about it struck fear deep into me.

I dipped my toe in the Henson-esque waters briefly when I was eighteen at a girlfriends house. We were sat in the front room with her parents when the Muppets came on and I swear I flinched. My relief when she suggested we go out was incredible.

What scared you as a kid? Or am I alone in this kind of thing..?

:oops:

have you been to disneyworld florida? - to the MGM studios? - the 3d muppet experience (amazing as it is) is enough to make a whole load of people scared of the muppets.

or it might help you get over your fear?
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    gkerr4 wrote:
    have you been to disneyworld florida? - to the MGM studios? - the 3d muppet experience (amazing as it is) is enough to make a whole load of people scared of the muppets.

or it might help you get over your fear?

I could try and blag a trip on the NHS as 'therapy'...
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...stairs...I still have a recurring dream about stairs with a landing...

stairs feature in ghost stories quite a lot...something spooky about stairs...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    Like many (?) I would watch Dr Who from behind the settee.

I vaguely remember watching Salems Lots with my sister (when I was about 16) & it scared the cr@p out of both of us.
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    ChrisLS wrote:
    ...stairs...I still have a recurring dream about stairs with a landing...

stairs feature in ghost stories quite a lot...something spooky about stairs...
    Do you have to live in a bungalow?
  • Massimo
    Massimo Posts: 318
    Clowns scare me sh*tless...

You may see the bright smiley make up and curly wig - all I see are the cold dead eyes of the alcoholic peado...

I'm getting the shakes just typing this :(
    Crash 'n Burn, Peel 'n Chew
    FCN: 2
  • Siechotic
    Siechotic Posts: 86
    Clowns for me too!

014643e1b9f1c6672881179a1bc7ca91.jpg
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    A lad I work with a sh!t scared of clowns too, he puts it down to the fact that they're not smiling, but have a smile painted on. Freaks him out.

I liked Dr Who, but was scared of the Daleks. I was really scared of the Hulk, and used to go loopy when Darth Vader came on TV..... I think that was something to do with the heavy breahing and me being an asthmatic :D

I'm no longer scared of any of those, but am still terrified of spiders!
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Got to be the basement monster. He usually hid in a small room down there that my
    mother stored canned goods in. I knew he was behind that door. I wouldn't go down alone for fear that someone(my brothers) would turn out the lights and that would be
    the end of me of course. Some sort of horrible death. Ripped apart, who knew???

Dennis Noward
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    Catweazle for some reason and the Cybermen from Dr Who left me sleepless as a youngster.

Salems lot as a teenager for me too, I remember the scene with whoever it was scratching at the window. At the first sign of darkness every evening for years I shut my thankfully floating dead person proof curtains. They never got in so it worked obviously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXL19IPj ... re=related

Poltergeist also as a teenager, I thought I would never sleep again, first time I realised how scary clowns were, and trees, and swimming pools, and tv's, and little sisters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u3CRa_E3nw

Siechotics Avatar is probably the only thing that scares me nowadays :oops: . Truth be told Horror films dont scare me anymore, Horror books however can still have me pull the (make me invisible to the living dead magic) duvet over my head after I have turned the lights out :roll: .
  • popette
    ahhhhh, just remembered one - SUZI QUATRO!!!!!!!!
  • jellybellywmb
    jellybellywmb Posts: 1,379
    Cows, can't go near them will walk around fields with them in rather than go through.
    Jellyfish.
    "BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    popette wrote:
    ahhhhh, just remembered one - SUZI QUATRO!!!!!!!!

:shock:

I was in love with the Suzi Q!!!!

My son when little was absolutly terrified of Churchill(the insurance companies dog, not the wartime PM)
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Birds! :shock: :evil:

Still trying to cure myself of the problem with the feathery ones.

Eventually grew out of the fear of talking to the other kind, but these days (with a wife and teenaged daughter) I am slightly anxious about disagreeing with them. :D

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• jellybellywmb
    jellybellywmb Posts: 1,379
    Saw a Raven peck a Magpie to death whilst out running the other morning,that was scary
    "BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
  • pigeon42
    pigeon42 Posts: 98
    War of the Worlds - the radio series/shows. The music still makes me want to run for the hills, and when my other half's feeling especially mean, he quotes odd lines from it a la Richard Burton :shock:
    FCN 10
  • popette
    tizz woz - I was only little but I remember them putting pairs of pants on kids heads and having no-blinking competitions - scary stuff.
  • RichK wrote:

I vaguely remember watching Salems Lots with my sister (when I was about 16) & it scared the cr@p out of both of us.

What a film! James Stewart is only half pretending, but its a classy film. One of the few that lived up to the TV hype.
  • When I was a child after having pulled the chain to flush our upstairs toilet I had to make it down the stairs before it finished flushing. This invloved great timing and athleticism taking steps three at a time.

I don't know what would have happened if I didn't make it because i always reached the bottom in time. How daft is that?
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    "What scared you as a kid?"

Getting old - and it was I now know an entirely rational and well-founded fear.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • pigeon42
    pigeon42 Posts: 98
    Olly Garth - I can relate to that completely, I also used to do that but slight variation which involved hiding under my Mum's enormous beanbag by the time it finished flushing! :oops:
    FCN 10
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    I was scared of getting locked in a pubic toilet cubicle. I think this stemmed from an incident at playgroup where a child got locked into the loo cubicle and had to be rescued by the playgroup staff by breaking the lock. For many many years I always assessed every cubicle I entered for the possibility of escape, should the door lock get stuck.

I didn't used to like crepe bandages much either. It was something about the texture and the sterilised smell. I was given a nurse's outfit when I was about 4 years old and my great aunt, who had a bandage on her knee from an injury, asked me if I could make her better. I was scared of her for years after that.

Ruth
  • escalators and gennerally unstable or moving ground. except those moving carpet things in airports are more of a bizarre thrill. at the top of a ladder i move like i'm a badly made very slow robot and can't bare to speak. not irrational becuase there is a dnger but definatly embarressing.

i like spiders, fan of the hulk and doctor who. when spider trapped in house i make it go on my hand and run outside to blow it off. like the big ones, the designs on their backs are really nice some times.

what is irrational is that i still to this day when alone in the house walk around with a heavy hard cased torch to knock out intruders.
    In the valley of high oil prices the cyclist is king!
    1892 Posts: 1,690
    Still scared of highs

Marriage is also high up the list :lol:
    Justice for the 96
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    RichK wrote:

What a film! James Stewart is only half pretending, but its a classy film. One of the few that lived up to the TV hype.

When still a student I had a job which involved living in a large and fairly remote farmhouse. Only two rooms furnished, a living room and a downstairs room with one bed. I foolishly read the book Salem's Lot whilst there. Halfway through the book I moved the mattress to an upstairs room - none of the rooms on any floor had curtains and the darkness outside was just a bit much........ :oops:
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • My wardrobe door slightly ajar at night time when I was in bed. (still close them now)

Mirrors on wardrobes after watching a creepy B/W film as a kid about a newly married couple's wedding present mirror in which the background changed when only he was in the room. Eventually he was dragged through it and killed by two sinister people. (Got over it now...I just use the mirrrors in department stores on busy Saturday mornings whenever I need to check on my appearance)
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    I didn't used to like crepe bandages much either. It was something about the texture and the sterilised smell. I was given a nurse's outfit when I was about 4 years old and my great aunt, who had a bandage on her knee from an injury, asked me if I could make her better. I was scared of her for years after that.

Ruth

Still on a first aid note, my 12 year old niece refuses to go anywhere near Savlon antiseptic cream on the grounds that it's "poisonous". This is, it seems, entirely my fault as she's obviously heard me reciting fragments of Harry Hill sketches/dialogue down the years (what are the chances of that happening?). :oops:

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal