i-magic computer requirements

Ash_
Ash_ Posts: 385
I know, I know, not really the right time of year to be talking about such nasty things as turbo trainers, even vaguely fancy ones like this...

Sadly, circumstances dictate that if I want to get much cycling done in the near future, it's going to be on the turbo trainer. Obviously I hate this, so when I saw an i-magic going cheap on eBay I went for it - it might make things a little more bearable...

My question's about the computer requirements - lots of retailers and the Tacx website give the suggested PC requirements for optimum performance - but what can I actually get away with? I've got a old but functioning PC that I'd rather hook the turbo to, out of the way, instead of the turbo trainer being in some prominent place in the house.

Have people been able to use these things with quite low-spec computers? (I'm not talking obselete, just nothing too special - P4 1.7, 256 MB Ram, 16MB graphics).

Any help on this would be appreciated.
Apologies again for bringing up turbo trainers during summer!

Comments

• DaSy
    DaSy Posts: 599
    I have a Fortius, which uses the same software and unfortunately it does require a pretty descent spec PC. The processor will be fine, but you need a fair bit of RAM (I put in a couple of GB), but the main and most important requirement is a high spec video card. I use a 256Mb DDR DirectX9 compatible one, and even that can get a bit fazed at the highest resolution with high objects settings etc when in the VR. It is okay, but can just stutter a little when you get a lot of objects in the view.

I would say your going to need more RAM and good video card to get any reasonable results...

That said, once you get it running, it really is a great trainer, I have spent 3 hours at a time on it, and not realised. Previously 1 hour on a standard turbo would send me insane. It also seems to compel me to train very hard, due to the competition element of racing others and your own times...
    Complicating matters since 1965
  • Ash_
    Ash_ Posts: 385
    DaSy,

Thanks for your input - I guess if I only wanted to use the analytical software (similar to the Tacx Cosmos) I woudn't need such a powerful computer. However, I'd then be wasting the best function of the i-Magic by not being able to use the Virtual Reality capabilities.

3 Hours on a turbo trainer too - that's impressive!!!
  • DaSy
    DaSy Posts: 599
    Yes, I don't think you'd need much other than a bit more RAM to run the Analyzer program and the Catalyst, as the screen output on those is pretty basic.

Like you said though, the VR and RLV applications are the best part about i-Magic and Fortius. I trained on the Mt Ventoux on RLV on the Fortius (it has the ability to brake the wheel with more force than the i-Magic as it uses a motor rather than magnetic resistance), and found it to be pretty true to the real thing when I went out there recently.

The VR courses are very involving, and if you download another users run, you can really get carried away with competing against them. I got beaten by 1 second over a course that took just under 2 hours, and I was nearly sick at the end, so it definetly makes me work hard.
    Complicating matters since 1965