Weight loss and pi**ing

Mrs G and I have just got back from 12 days touring in Brittany. Nothing to manic, about 50 miles a day, averaging about 10mph. We've both lost weight, about 3lbs for me which I'm quite pleased about as I didn't exactly stint on the patisseries or crepes.

Also, especially for the first 5 or 6 days, we were both peeing all the time without really drinking a great deal - it was more a tour of french loos than towns! I was wondering whether this water loss was associated with fat-burning, which I reckon I have done, given that I've lost a inch or so about the waist/hips area. Strangely by day 10 pee-stops seemed to be back to normal frequency, even though there is still some fat (although not a huge amount) available to burn!

Any ideas about what is going on here?

Comments

• If you were having to pee that much my guess is that any weight loss would be water loss from your muscles rather than fat especially if you weren't drinking more to replace want was coming out which would leave you in a negative fluid balance. If you were having a few tipples in the evening and a coffee or two in the morning that could cause an increase in fluid out put but nothing too significant. Difficult to say without knowing your age and medical history so I would advise seeing your doc if it's an on going concern.

Andy
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    could this be related to that crazy atkins diet... but instead of cutting out carbs through diet you were just using them all up putting you into ketosis or whatever its called, this leads to increased urination since it produces toxins which must be pissed away, this is probably all nonsence :lol:
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    deal wrote:
    could this be related to that crazy atkins diet... but instead of cutting out carbs through diet you were just using them all up putting you into ketosis or whatever its called, this leads to increased urination since it produces toxins which must be pissed away, this is probably all nonsence :lol:

I don't know either but I like your style :)
  • I would say that the two are unrelated (increased micturition and weight loss). Sounds to me like you were drinking too much. 10 mph over 50 miles in not particularly hot conditions means you don't need to drink much at all. If you were drinking more than one bottle (and starting out properly hydrated) this could result in more calls of nature. Too much water can lead to hyponatremia and is dangerous.
  • Fairly sure we weren't drinking too much - getting through 2 750ml bottles a day at most, plus maybe a glass of lemonade at lunch - Started the day with 1 mug of coffee. Not drinking much - 2 glasses of wine at the most in the evening.

If it had only been one of us, I'd have been more concerned. Neither of us is overweight and we're fairly fit, riding about 3-4000 miles a year. As I said, it settled down after a bit, so I don't see it as a cause for concern, just a bit interesting really
  • kenbaxter
    kenbaxter Posts: 1,251
    deal wrote:

Damn, until your last sentence I was impressed. With all that technical cr*p, you're not my GP by any chance are you :wink: