Forum ride, Forest of Bowland, 20th July or 17th Aug?

2»

Comments

• ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    davelakers wrote:
    Colin,

Can you please shift me to the August list, as a surprise party for my father (and a surprise to me) has put the kybosh on this weekend!!
    Actually Dave, I'd already done that! It looked as though there might be too many for July and not enough for August so I'd put you in the August list to even the numbers up.

Enjoy the party and I'll see you in August!
  • I was in the "maybe" category, Colin, but I'm afraid I can't make it this weekend, after all. I'll bear in mind the August alternative, but I may not be able to do it then either, so no promises.

Andrew
  • ColinJ
    I was in the "maybe" category, Colin, but I'm afraid I can't make it this weekend, after all. I'll bear in mind the August alternative, but I may not be able to do it then either, so no promises.

Andrew
    Okay Andrew. I'll perhaps see you again in August then!
  • ColinJ
    It was a nice day out folks. I was joined by andy_wrx and 3 riders off the CycleChat forum. Details here.

I hope to get to meet a few BikeReader members on the August rerun. I'll repost in a few weeks time to remind you.
  • nasahapley
    nasahapley Posts: 717
    I'm still up for the August one, really looking forward to it. The week before I'm on holiday near Mt Ventoux, so I'll be either:

(a) tanned and able to laugh in the face of the puny English hills, or
    (b) sunburnt and totally sh*gged.

My money's on (b), but it'll be fun anyway!
  • ColinJ
    Just a reminder about the rerun of this ride on Sunday 17th August.

Currently, 7 people are set to do the ride, with another 8 on the 'Maybe' list. It looks as though there might be about 10 or so on the day which will be a good turnout. See you two weeks on Sunday!

PS There is still time to add your name to the list if you fancy joining us.
  • ColinJ
    I went over Longridge Fell in the opposite direction last Sunday on The Pendle Pedal and we took a new route up to Jeffrey Hill which I rather liked so I'm going to modify our route to go down that way this time. We will stay high up for longer so the views are better. We will then drop down a less precipitous descent which will be safer (I was a bit nervous on the first run when longers and Frustruck shot past me with a car coming up round the tight bend ahead of us :shock: !).

The map below shows the change to the route in purple.

longridge_change.jpg
  • ColinJ
    Last call!

The forecast isn't looking too bad - mild, breezy with drizzle or showers; hopefully nothing too heavy.

There should be 3 of us riding over from Hebden Bridge and we aim to get to the start about 09:45.

See you all on Sunday.
  • Sorry, Colin, I can't make it on Sunday.

Andrew
  • ColinJ
    Sorry, Colin, I can't make it on Sunday.

Andrew
    Okay Andrew - I'll see you again some other time.
  • davelakers
    davelakers Posts: 762
    Shall see you at spring wood around 9.45 chaps.

Thats if I can find it. Anybody got any more comprehensive directions? Postcode would be perfect!!
  • nasahapley
    nasahapley Posts: 717
    Hi Colin,

I'm still intending to come along tomorrow but am off out to a mate's birthday bash in a bit; if I'm not there by ten on the dot it'll be safe to assume I'm in hangover hell, or A&E. See you tomorrow (hopefully!)
  • ColinJ
    davelakers wrote:
    Shall see you at spring wood around 9.45 chaps.

Thats if I can find it. Anybody got any more comprehensive directions? Postcode would be perfect!!
    Assuming that you are driving from Preston...

Take the M65 to junction 7, take the A680 and turn left at the crossroads, through Clayton-le-moors and Great Harwood. Bear left at the traffic lights at the junction with the A671 (probably signposted Whalley and/or Clitheroe?) The Spring Wood picnic centre is about 1km further on, on the right at the next set of traffic lights (Whalley is down the hill to the left at the lights, but we will do that on the bikes!).

Here's a map:

whalley_directions.jpg

The picnic centre where we meet is at OS Grid reference SD 742 363. I don't have a post code for it.
  • davelakers
    davelakers Posts: 762
    Colin,

Once again thanks for organising everything for today. You picked an interesting and challenging route that I enjoyed immensely and it was nice to meet you and the rest. Next time can you do something about the weather!!!

Cheers

Dave
  • ColinJ
    Yes, nice to meet you too Dave. I must get fitter for the next one so I don't keep you hanging about so much!

As for the rain... Well, at least it only lasted for about an hour!